Adapt to new boots/skates and keeping three turns straight | Golden Skate

Adapt to new boots/skates and keeping three turns straight

yayah917

Spectator
hi dear all, I recently got new boots and blades and hope for advice to adjust and adapt to them as I realise several problems.
I upgraded to risport royal pro and MK pro blades. I am very excited and love them. Since the new MK pro blades are much more curved compare to old flat beginner blades, although they feel more unsteady, but easier to turn, however, I feel more difficult to control my left outer edge forward three turns. It is more difficult to keep them straight during the 2nd half of the three turns - my body tends to rotate and hard to keep the 2nd half of the turn straight despite I try to keep my left arm foward, hence my single salchow often fail while I could succeed with my old flat blades, and also it makes me difficult to try to learn single half flip and flip due to the curve three turns. Thank you!

Similar problem also happens with my other jumps, eg I could sit lower and jump higher for loop, but now my body tends to rotate a bit during loop, but most proinent is still the salchow and left outter edge forward three turns.

Also, since the royal pro boots are shorter than my previous jackson artiste, sometimes I feel a bit unsteady to go for the very deep edge or lean too low as I feel a bit unstady, anything I can do to overcome this?

thank you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi dear all, I recently got new boots and blades and hope for advice to adjust and adapt to them as I realise several problems.
I upgraded to risport royal pro and MK pro blades. I am very excited and love them. Since the new MK pro blades are much more curved compare to old flat beginner blades, although they feel more unsteady, but easier to turn, however, I feel more difficult to control my left outer edge forward three turns. It is more difficult to keep them straight during the 2nd half of the three turns - my body tends to rotate and hard to keep the 2nd half of the turn straight despite I try to keep my left arm foward, hence my single salchow often fail while I could succeed with my old flat blades, and also it makes me difficult to try to learn single half flip and flip due to the curve three turns. Thank you!

Similar problem also happens with my other jumps, eg I could sit lower and jump higher for loop, but now my body tends to rotate a bit during loop, but most proinent is still the salchow and left outter edge forward three turns.

Also, since the royal pro boots are shorter than my previous jackson artiste, sometimes I feel a bit unsteady to go for the very deep edge or lean too low as I feel a bit unstady, anything I can do to overcome this?

thank you.
Practice practice practice is the answer. Also, have your skate tech/fitter check your blade positioning to make sure that isn't what is causing the jump etc issues. Curvature of new blade shouldn't cause the issues you are mentioning this much. New blades are a small adjustment.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Make sure that you are bending your knees enough. The first thing we do when we feel unsteady is to stiffen up, whereas the opposite is the better reaction. Plus you'll be needing to bend your knees a lot more to help break in your new boots.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I found the same 3-turn issue and what helped me (whether it was the problem or not) was to focus on getting onto the back of my blade on the second half of the 3-turn.

Also with the salchow bend your legs more on that initial 3-turn. If you can make it nice and smooth both in and out of that 3-turn, the salchow shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't quite figured out what it did to my loop. I'm definitely finding it harder right now, no matter how much I bend, so I can't help on that one.