Adult in Graf 500 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adult in Graf 500

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
@icewhite,

I'm in Germany, too. They absolutely do put adults in the softest boots to start. In my city, we only have 1 skate shop and if you say you're a beginner taking lessons, you will be put in a Graf 500, Jackson mystique or Risport Antares.

I think this is because beginners balk at the prices of a decent skate! Many adults (especially Germans, LOL) don't want to spend more than 100 Euros on a pair of skates when they start lessons. The store is a business and their goal is to sell enough to make profit. They can spend hours trying to convince someone to spend more and that person goes online and orders the cheaper skate or just sell them the cheaper one.

That said, there are some skaters staying in their Antares and Mystiques AND STOCK BLADES for years on the ice and I wonder how they haven't wanted to replace them by now with something stiffer.

AdultBeginnerEng

Spectator
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, but you get why it's confusing for someone who wants to buy skates?
I don't know what the reason for this difference is.
E.g. Jackson themselves say their Freestyles are for skaters training double jumps without mentioning weight - they cannot think all their clients are teenagers.
Jackson specifically do mention weight (notably their "heaviest" category being >58kg, some adult beginners (me!) being more than double that!) https://jacksonultima.com/pages/jackson-fit-guide