Beginner/intermediate skates for a teenager | Golden Skate

Beginner/intermediate skates for a teenager

vvenne00

Spectator
hi! i’ve only started ice skating 2-3 months ago, and i’m finally getting skates, but I'm not sure where to start.

i’m currently self-learning a bit of a waltz jump, and i can successfully do stuff like forward/backward crossovers, and simple one foot spins (but i’m not super good at rotating much). i can only go to the rink once a week, for weekly group lessons and a free skate every fortnight, due to the travel distance of the rink.

unfortunately, i don’t know anybody who can help me out on anything about ice skating. I have wider, flat footed feet, and a bit of a budget, so it’s really difficult to properly find skates. thank you!!

SK4T3

Rinkside
Welcome on the Forums!

What Figure Skates are you using right now? (Brand, Model, Blades). Are you comfortable with these? (Some clubs rent out good figure skates by respected brands).

Where are you located; so we can give you advice for pro-shops and check availability for specific brands.

vvenne00

Spectator
Welcome on the Forums!

What Figure Skates are you using right now? (Brand, Model, Blades). Are you comfortable with these? (Some clubs rent out good figure skates by respected brands).

Where are you located; so we can give you advice for pro-shops and check availability for specific brands.
unfortunately i’ve only been using the plastic hockey rentals that the rinks give, and they’ve been causing pretty bad blisters. i’m located in the yorkshire area, and there’s a skate shop in the rink, but it’s very very small.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi! i’ve only started ice skating 2-3 months ago, and i’m finally getting skates, but I'm not sure where to start.

i’m currently self-learning a bit of a waltz jump, and i can successfully do stuff like forward/backward crossovers, and simple one foot spins (but i’m not super good at rotating much). i can only go to the rink once a week, for weekly group lessons and a free skate every fortnight, due to the travel distance of the rink.

unfortunately, i don’t know anybody who can help me out on anything about ice skating. I have wider, flat footed feet, and a bit of a budget, so it’s really difficult to properly find skates. thank you!!
Hi and welcome. Get out of those hockey skates ASAP. They are completely different from what you need to be skating on.

Your foot sounds like it's made for Jackson brand skates and you shouldn't have any issue finding those in the UK (esp where you are which is very close to where they make some of the best blades in the world).
To further assist you in getting the proper style and sending you to respected fitter, we need to know a few more things.
Height/Weight/foot style (egyptian, greek, etc), any foot issues?

vvenne00

Spectator
hi! i’m about 4’11, 50kg, and i’m pretty sure i have an egyptian foot type? a few of my friends have jackson skates, so that was my first option, but they’ve been sold out of my size in every skate shop i’ve checked so far. i have flat feet, but not bad to the point i’ve had to wear insoles, as it kind of runs in the family

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi! i’m about 4’11, 50kg, and i’m pretty sure i have an egyptian foot type? a few of my friends have jackson skates, so that was my first option, but they’ve been sold out of my size in every skate shop i’ve checked so far. i have flat feet, but not bad to the point i’ve had to wear insoles, as it kind of runs in the family
With Jackson, you'd be fine in Entre or Debut Fusion. Pair those with traditional MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

SK4T3

Rinkside
(esp where you are which is very close to where they make some of the best blades in the world).
Yeah @Ic3Rabbit is right; you're located "near" Sheffield; this South Yorkshire Steel Industry is Famous about their High Quality Steel used in Blades, Cutlery, Knives and Straight Razors.
  • Mitchel & King (MK) Pro
  • John Wilson Coronation Ace
Is the way to go for your blades as Ic3Rabbit mentioned.

I'm sure there is a UK localized Forum member who can help you out with a pro-shop / fitter in your surroundings.

vvenne00

Spectator
Yeah @Ic3Rabbit is right; you're located "near" Sheffield; this South Yorkshire Steel Industry is Famous about their High Quality Steel used in Blades, Cutlery, Knives and Straight Razors.
  • Mitchel & King (MK) Pro
  • John Wilson Coronation Ace
Is the way to go for your blades as Ic3Rabbit mentioned.

I'm sure there is a UK localized Forum member who can help you out with a pro-shop / fitter in your surroundings.
I’ll have a look at some pro-shops in sheffield!! Thank you!!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You'd be best to make an appointment with Alison Holden and visit her shop, Al's Skate Shop, in Blackpool. It's not the closest shop to you, but she's the best fitter in the north of England. Your other option is Everglides in Gosport on the south coast, which is even further.

There are other pro shops in the country, but I can only vouch for Alison and for Lara and Clare at Everglides. I'm afraid I've seen too many skaters fitted with equipment that really wasn't in their best interests from other places and fitters.

vvenne00

Spectator
You'd be best to make an appointment with Alison Holden and visit her shop, Al's Skate Shop, in Blackpool. It's not the closest shop to you, but she's the best fitter in the north of England. Your other option is Everglides in Gosport on the south coast, which is even further.

There are other pro shops in the country, but I can only vouch for Alison and for Lara and Clare at Everglides. I'm afraid I've seen too many skaters fitted with equipment that really wasn't in their best interests from other places and fitters.
I’m going to Blackpool in a few weeks so i’ll definitely ask my parents to make a stop there! Thank you!!

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I’m going to Blackpool in a few weeks so i’ll definitely ask my parents to make a stop there! Thank you!!
I’d recommend making an appointment if that if available. At the very least, call ahead and make sure. Appointments can get filled and whatnot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’d recommend making an appointment if that if available. At the very least, call ahead and make sure. Appointments can get filled and whatnot.
Yes, and many will not do a fitting without a previously made appointment.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Make an appointment or you're unlikely to get fitted. There are definite shortages of boots and blades at the moment, so making an appointment ahead of time gives them chance to source the brands/models that you are most likely to suit you and your skating.