Boots and blade advice for beginner | Golden Skate

Boots and blade advice for beginner

Spectator
Hi all! This is my first post on here, so let me know if I need to fix/add anything please!

For some background information, I am 165cm/5’5, around 50kg/110lbs and am in my teens. I have the Jackson Elle skates and the Mirage blades that come with it. I have started a few single jumps from a standstill but not sure when to upgrade. I have heard children can jump up to singles in them but not sure how far it can get me for my height/weight. My Jacksons still have really decent support compared to when I first bought them though, so I am wondering whether should I skate with them until they break down a little more or get an upgrade sooner? If I did upgrade, would the JW Coronation Ace blades be suited for my level or should I look at other blades? And how drastic on average would a change from a 8’ rocker to a 7’ rocker be?

Thanks so much!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all! This is my first post on here, so let me know if I need to fix/add anything please!

For some background information, I am 165cm/5’5, around 50kg/110lbs and am in my teens. I have the Jackson Elle skates and the Mirage blades that come with it. I have started a few single jumps from a standstill but not sure when to upgrade. I have heard children can jump up to singles in them but not sure how far it can get me for my height/weight. My Jacksons still have really decent support compared to when I first bought them though, so I am wondering whether should I skate with them until they break down a little more or get an upgrade sooner? If I did upgrade, would the JW Coronation Ace blades be suited for my level or should I look at other blades? And how drastic on average would a change from a 8’ rocker to a 7’ rocker be?

Thanks so much!
Hi and welcome!

You should not be jumping in an elle with mirage blades at your height/weight stats.

Please see a professional fitter to be placed in the proper boot for your foot (make sure they measure and trace your foot).
If you let us know where in the World you are we can usually suggest a good fitter.

Also, yes MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace are good for your level and needs right now.

Good luck!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
There’s a difference changing from an 8’ to a 7’ rocker, but at least in my experience it didn’t drastically affect most of my skating (I switched from the Mirage to the MK Pro). I definitely felt less resistance on turns and spins, and backwards skating felt a little less secure at first, but I adjusted quickly. The biggest difference you’ll notice is that the Coronation Ace / MK Pro have more pronounced spin rockers (aka “sweet spots”) than the Mirage, which I found to be a huge upgrade!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Don't give the 8' v 7' rocker a second thought. Seriously. Coronation Aces or MK Pros are the right choices.

Spectator
Hi and welcome!

You should not be jumping in an elle with mirage blades at your height/weight stats.

Please see a professional fitter to be placed in the proper boot for your foot (make sure they measure and trace your foot).
If you let us know where in the World you are we can usually suggest a good fitter.

Also, yes MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace are good for your level and needs right now.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Spectator
There’s a difference changing from an 8’ to a 7’ rocker, but at least in my experience it didn’t drastically affect most of my skating (I switched from the Mirage to the MK Pro). I definitely felt less resistance on turns and spins, and backwards skating felt a little less secure at first, but I adjusted quickly. The biggest difference you’ll notice is that the Coronation Ace / MK Pro have more pronounced spin rockers (aka “sweet spots”) than the Mirage, which I found to be a huge upgrade!
Thank you so much for letting me know! I ended up getting the coronation aces and have yet to test them out on ice, but i’m feeling more reassured!