Buying figure skates online | Golden Skate

Buying figure skates online

yenirohmalinda

Spectator
Hi all,

I’m 26 and I’m just beginning to learn figure skating. It’s not a common sport in my country and as far as I know there are only 2 skates stores here and they sell products (thus what they sell are not customizable). And since I have no access to such resellers, also because buying skates online is much cheaper, can you give me tips on how to buy skates online? I’m thinking Edea overture with Charme blade as I read on Edea’s website, they’re usually paired together. Thanks all!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m 26 and I’m just beginning to learn figure skating. It’s not a common sport in my country and as far as I know there are only 2 skates stores here and they sell products (thus what they sell are not customizable). And since I have no access to such resellers, also because buying skates online is much cheaper, can you give me tips on how to buy skates online? I’m thinking Edea overture with Charme blade as I read on Edea’s website, they’re usually paired together. Thanks all!
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you let us know where in the world you are, I'm sure somebody can recommend a fitter for you. Buying skates from a skate shop usually means they can be customised to your feet by heat molding and/or punching out, custom insoles, etc. Buying online almost always ends in wasted money, even if you've been skating for years and think you know what you're looking for.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
DO NOT BUY ONLINE!

I agree with @WednesdayMarch, let us know and we can suggest a fitter, I've been all over the world for one, so I know. As do others here.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yeah..as other said buying online is a disaster waiting to happen. try to get a fitting. The last thing you need is ill fitting skates.. it will wreck havoc on your feet. The places that sell the skates should typically fit you for them.

yenirohmalinda

Spectator
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you let us know where in the world you are, I'm sure somebody can recommend a fitter for you. Buying skates from a skate shop usually means they can be customised to your feet by heat molding and/or punching out, custom insoles, etc. Buying online almost always ends in wasted money, even if you've been skating for years and think you know what you're looking for.
Hi! thanks for the reply. I'm from Indonesia and I have visited a skate store here but they don't have any products in my size available therefore I can't try them. but I did some foot tracing, they're 22.8cm in length and 9.2-9.4cm in width. the store clerk said my feet were too wide for Risport and advised me to try Jackson. they only had Edea ice fly so she didn't say anything about Edea. But as no products were available in my size, I didn't get to try anything. I'm wondering, are my feet really too wide for Risport? I'm thinking about getting Edea Overture if Risport would be too narrow for my feet but my coach said Edea Overture is "too soft", but I'm a complete beginner, only learning to do crossovers now. How's Edea Overture compared to Jackson Freestyle in terms of softness?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hi! thanks for the reply. I'm from Indonesia and I have visited a skate store here but they don't have any products in my size available therefore I can't try them. but I did some foot tracing, they're 22.8cm in length and 9.2-9.4cm in width. the store clerk said my feet were too wide for Risport and advised me to try Jackson. they only had Edea ice fly so she didn't say anything about Edea. But as no products were available in my size, I didn't get to try anything. I'm wondering, are my feet really too wide for Risport? I'm thinking about getting Edea Overture if Risport would be too narrow for my feet but my coach said Edea Overture is "too soft", but I'm a complete beginner, only learning to do crossovers now. How's Edea Overture compared to Jackson Freestyle in terms of softness?
Do you know if/when the store will have skates in your size? Also, what skates does the store have/plan to have?

Others here can give you an idea regarding the length/width/fit of various skate models, but eventually, you’ll need to try them on, because numbers on paper don’t necessarily translate to a perfect fit.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Did you or the fitter person do the tracing and measuring? Because it could have been done completely wrong. Also, if you are supposedly too wide for Risport (which is hard to believe rn because they have some boot styles that fit a wider foot for order), then there was not a reason for them to even enter Edea into your mind, edea is definitely not going to fit if Risport is supposedly too narrow.

I would still suggest Risport or Jackson for you to start out in. I know you are complete beginner but what is your height, weight, what is your foot like? Shape, etc.? That is how we can better guide you to a brand and possibly style of boot.

Last edited:

alvina9894

Final Flight
I recommend you to look for virtual fitting service offered by skate shops if you can't try on the skates in person.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Did you or the fitter person do the tracing and measuring? Because it could have been done completely wrong. Also, if you are supposedly too wide for Risport (which is hard to believe rn because they have some boot styles that fit a wider foot for order), then there was not a reason for them to even enter Edea into your mind, edea is definitely not going to fit if Risport is supposedly too narrow.

I would still suggest Risport or Jackson for you to start out in. I know you are complete beginner but what is your height, weight, what is your foot like? Shape, etc.? That is how we can better guide you to a brand and possibly style of boot.
If a standard C width Risport is too narrow, then there's no way a standard C width Edea will fit but Edea do make wider fittings. One of my skaters had a pair of Overtures in the E fitting and they were very, very wide indeed! She hated them because of the fit - or lack of - around the ankle but they definitely weren't too narrow for her very wide feet. I believe that the D and E fittings are a special order, though.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If a standard C width Risport is too narrow, then there's no way a standard C width Edea will fit but Edea do make wider fittings. One of my skaters had a pair of Overtures in the E fitting and they were very, very wide indeed! She hated them because of the fit - or lack of - around the ankle but they definitely weren't too narrow for her very wide feet. I believe that the D and E fittings are a special order, though.
Yeah, I know. :) I was stating that a stock boot is going to be too narrow in Edea. ;)