Cain and LeDuc: "It was a fight" | Golden Skate

Cain and LeDuc: "It was a fight"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In their routine to music from The Great Gatsby soundtrack, Cain and LeDuc landed strong side-by-side triple Salchow-double toe-double loops, as well as a throw triple Lutz and throw triple Salchow. The 2018 U.S. pewter medalists also scored a personal best (123.85), however, their total score was not enough to maintain their overnight lead and they slipped to second overall (190.61).Cain admitted that it was a “fight” and that they knew they couldn’t make any mistakes going into the long program.

“Being on the podium is enough for us, we’re extremely happy,” she said. “I found out yesterday that my grandfather is in the hospital and he might pass away soon. So I felt like today I fought for him, and I skated for him. It wasn’t easy for us, coming in the first place team after the short program in such a huge event. We kept our eyes straight forward for the free skating. We didn’t want to let any distraction come in and affect us.

“It’s been a hard season, and it’s been a lot of learning,” Cain continued. “We’ve really fortunate to be able to train with people like Nina Mozer who’s the top coach in Russia, and she has taught us so much that now we’re ready to apply to the off season. We got a really late start for this season because we competed at the World Team Trophy last year.”

“I think the best thing that we showed for our future career over the next four years, is that we’re fighters and we can trust each other to push under any circumstances,” said LeDuc.

More...

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am really pleased about this competition for them.

They've indicated that they're in for the next Olympic cycle, and are committed to being one of the very best teams.

That's all well and good - but I always say "Talk is cheap" and eventually you have to skate.

Well, they skated. Very nice improvement. Two relatively clean programs - no major falls or breaks. Far and away the best they've done in an entire competition... probably ever.

The thing that attracted me to this team was the beautiful lines I could see during some practice videos. I wish they would emphasize this aspect of their skating a bit more.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I couldn't be happier for Ashley and Tim! :love: Their SBS jumps and other pairs elements are so dynamic, and when they land them, as they did especially in their SP, it creates special effects. I just re-watched their SP; when they did the 3twist, a thought sprang into my head: "light as a feather." That is great progress. I recall how they struggled with that element at first.

What stands out for me is their mutual feel for the music. They really hit the musical notes, in the in-betweens as well as with their elements like their sbs spins. They express the nuances with their movements.

I also think they have a great attitude. They're very committed to each other as a pair. It shows.

The thing that attracted me to this team was the beautiful lines I could see during some practice videos. I wish they would emphasize this aspect of their skating a bit more.

I was just thinking this as I watched this week-end. My hunch is that they've consciously been working on the big elements. Which is smart; that's what will earn them credibility with the judges. But their beautiful lines are, I think, one of their most striking features as a pair.

I really look forward to watching them for the next four years.