Dead Peacock? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Dead Peacock?

noskates

Record Breaker
If you look at the scope of activities, movies, sports, etc. that are included with Peacock service you might realize that figure skating is only a very, very small portion of that. If you mark an activity (don't remember the exact wording) to play for you at a later date I believe it's still out there. I did that with Worlds and I can still watch the events.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you look at the scope of activities, movies, sports, etc. that are included with Peacock service you might realize that figure skating is only a very, very small portion of that. If you mark an activity (don't remember the exact wording) to play for you at a later date I believe it's still out there. I did that with Worlds and I can still watch the events.
Check to see if you see the Worlds Pairs SP. All of the other events for Worlds are available for replay except for the Pairs SP. Other events I had bookmarked from Olympics disappeared when the videos were removed from the list replays available.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But figure skating is the reason I got it. I am unwilling to pay for it otherwise.

macy

Record Breaker
from a promotional email i got from USFSA-

"Our partnership with NBC Universal continues to be strong. This season, there will be 80-plus hours of figure skating on NBC and its family of networks. Television coverage will showcase the 2023 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, ISU World Championships, ISU Four Continents Championships, ISU European Championships and more. Live and on-demand streaming coverage of figure skating, synchronized skating and other competitions, will continue to be available on Peacock Premium and the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone."

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
from a promotional email i got from USFSA-

"Our partnership with NBC Universal continues to be strong. This season, there will be 80-plus hours of figure skating on NBC and its family of networks. Television coverage will showcase the 2023 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, ISU World Championships, ISU Four Continents Championships, ISU European Championships and more. Live and on-demand streaming coverage of figure skating, synchronized skating and other competitions, will continue to be available on Peacock Premium and the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone."
I got this same email when I signed up for my membership for next year.

Kris135

On the Ice
I hate that Americans are at the mercy of NBC and we have very few options to get skating content anywhere else. NBC treats skating,and most of the other Olympic sports too, like a joke or as a weekend filler when they can not find better. This only going to get worse when the Olympic Channel is taken off the air in September because that was the channel to go to if I missed the live streams, and because I worked during the time they were on that was common, then I could watch it. Now everything is going to Peacock and we have to pay for the privilege to watch figure skating. I hope that the skating coverage remains on the $5 dollar level and do not charge extra for each individual sport like they did for while a few years ago. I miss the time when skating coverage was spread over multiple networks because it seemed that they made more of an effort to present figure skating and make it accessible and at better times so people could watch the coverage.

macy

Record Breaker
I hate that Americans are at the mercy of NBC and we have very few options to get skating content anywhere else. NBC treats skating,and most of the other Olympic sports too, like a joke or as a weekend filler when they can not find better. This only going to get worse when the Olympic Channel is taken off the air in September because that was the channel to go to if I missed the live streams, and because I worked during the time they were on that was common, then I could watch it. Now everything is going to Peacock and we have to pay for the privilege to watch figure skating. I hope that the skating coverage remains on the $5 dollar level and do not charge extra for each individual sport like they did for while a few years ago. I miss the time when skating coverage was spread over multiple networks because it seemed that they made more of an effort to present figure skating and make it accessible and at better times so people could watch the coverage.
i didn't know the olympic channel was getting axed, that sucks :(

as crappy as the streaming quality was i miss icenetwork. at least we had something to watch.

Kris135

On the Ice
i didn't know the olympic channel was getting axed, that sucks :(

as crappy as the streaming quality was i miss icenetwork. at least we had something to watch.
I never really knew about icenetwork but I wish we had options. I remember when the US Nationals were on ABC, the main network channel, and we had a whole day on Saturday with both the Men's and Women's final on the same day which made easy to watch and it was a real treat, now NBC puts the Men's final on Sunday afternoon and what then do we have exhibitions after that. It is crazy and it makes no sense and I can only imagine how tired it makes the men. Skating needs more exposure not less and if I was running US Figure skating I would start shopping the coverage around to other networks and see if could find a better home for it. I can not hurt and I think that anything would be better than what is going now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never really knew about icenetwork but I wish we had options. I remember when the US Nationals were on ABC, the main network channel, and we had a whole day on Saturday with both the Men's and Women's final on the same day which made easy to watch and it was a real treat, now NBC puts the Men's final on Sunday afternoon and what then do we have exhibitions after that. It is crazy and it makes no sense and I can only imagine how tired it makes the men. Skating needs more exposure not less and if I was running US Figure skating I would start shopping the coverage around to other networks and see if could find a better home for it. I can not hurt and I think that anything would be better than what is going now.
The competition is scheduled around TV. Not the other way around.

DC2003

Rinkside

Hopefully, Peacock can now "resurrect" itself and restore all the competitions they yanked from the site for the 2021-22 season. It would be hard to comprehend, though, that just this one music act was responsible for this. I can appreciate that Peacock would take down any competitions where K&F competed to this music. But, did they need to wipe out every discipline in practically every competition from the past year just for this one song only?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hopefully, Peacock can now "resurrect" itself and restore all the competitions they yanked from the site for the 2021-22 season. It would be hard to comprehend, though, that just this one music act was responsible for this. I can appreciate that Peacock would take down any competitions where K&F competed to this music. But, did they need to wipe out every discipline in practically every competition from the past year just for this one song only?
Its worse than that. They wiped out of all 2019 and 2020 as well.

Kris135

On the Ice
And to add insult to injury the replays that are on YouTube are geo-blocked. I found this out when I wanted to see a performance from 2020 European Championships a few weeks back. I can not understand why at this late date why NBC even cares, it not like they can make a lot of money off of it and since you can get it from them why shouldn't we have the right to watch it from another source. I mean I watch a bit of gymnastics as well and they USGA usually puts up the competition of something like the National Championship within hours of it playing live on NBC and Worlds I believe was within a couple of weeks of when it happened so why does figure skating have be different. I can under stand not allowing replays from nationals for a few weeks but months later and now we can not watch stuff from 2019 and 2020 and NBC wonders why ratings are down. Look how they are restricted content. One question is 2021 and 2022 world's still available or not just want to know because I am going to be forced to go get Peacock for to upcoming GP season and I am just wondering if it might be worth getting before late October that's all.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
And to add insult to injury the replays that are on YouTube are geo-blocked. I found this out when I wanted to see a performance from 2020 European Championships a few weeks back. I can not understand why at this late date why NBC even cares, it not like they can make a lot of money off of it and since you can get it from them why shouldn't we have the right to watch it from another source. I mean I watch a bit of gymnastics as well and they USGA usually puts up the competition of something like the National Championship within hours of it playing live on NBC and Worlds I believe was within a couple of weeks of when it happened so why does figure skating have be different. I can under stand not allowing replays from nationals for a few weeks but months later and now we can not watch stuff from 2019 and 2020 and NBC wonders why ratings are down. Look how they are restricted content. One question is 2021 and 2022 world's still available or not just want to know because I am going to be forced to go get Peacock for to upcoming GP season and I am just wondering if it might be worth getting before late October that's all.
2022 worlds is there not 2021.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Peacock has 2022 Worlds except for the Pairs SP. I think the Pairs SP is missing because of the music issue which caused the lawsuit.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good news for the upcoming skating season (assuming Peacock will be carrying the skating again). According to this tvline article...

New customers who sign-up for Peacock’s Premium plan in the month of September... will be “just $1.99 a month,” or $19.99 for an entire year, as part of “a special Fall celebratory offer.”

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Peacock has 2022 Worlds except for the Pairs SP. I think the Pairs SP is missing because of the music issue which caused the lawsuit.
In part, perhaps. But it would have been a simple fix to mute K/F's music. The main reason they removed 2022 World pairs sp, is because of the BBC commentators' insulting on-air gaffes. Such a complete bummer that those hosts' utter stupidity got the entire sp broadcast removed. Where's Mark Hanretty when we need him?! 😢

Why didn't NBC just replace the Peacock tainted coverage with the TT&J network coverage of the sp???? They don't truly care about fs fans, sadly. 😐

Last edited: