Figure Skaters of YouTube | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skaters of YouTube

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Regarding Evan Prosserman : I just watched his FS from Challenge. I thought it was interesting as he can spin in both directions... and I couldn't help thinking that as pianists, we develop agility in both right and left hand as we have to play notes with all ten fingers.. which is a characteristic unique to keyboard instrusments : often one hand will hold on to the instrument or the bow, for instance a violinist will only use 4 fingers to play notes (the thumb holds the instrument while the other hand holds the bow) or both hands are needed to make the sounds, for instance by obstructing holes on a wind instrument... etc So, there are areas of studies on the brain of pianists specifically because of the requirements in ambidexterity and their effect on brain development and skill acquisition...

yesterday

Record Breaker
Regarding Evan Prosserman : I just watched his FS from Challenge. I thought it was interesting as he can spin in both directions... and I couldn't help thinking that as pianists, we develop agility in both right and left hand as we have to play notes with all ten fingers.. which is a characteristic unique to keyboard instrusments : often one hand will hold on to the instrument or the bow, for instance a violinist will only use 4 fingers to play notes (the thumb holds the instrument while the other hand holds the bow) or both hands are needed to make the sounds, for instance by obstructing holes on a wind instrument... etc So, there are areas of studies on the brain of pianists specifically because of the requirements in ambidexterity and their effect on brain development and skill acquisition...

Interesting take. I think that the right hand of a violinist does a little more, e.g. when plucking strings. But I totally get the point, being (well, longer ago) a pianist myself. Well, I kind of switched skills fĂĽr piano to computer typing and I always thought the piano also helped me learn to type faster on the computer. Not with a special system, just in general.

e: what do you think is Evan's stronger field? Music or skating?

yesterday

Record Breaker
nope :) so many pianists skate... or so many skaters play the piano... i am not sure which came first :) I will try to notice him when he skates...

Wait, so many? Is there a statistics somewhere? :laugh: like there's one for literally anything connected to skating
And the reasons why they start both?

Magill

Record Breaker
I am not sure how it is possible that it is not here yet but I checked three times and it seems to be missing:
Alyona Kostarnaya's YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCehS4qIMrszx3_zBxSOhLew/featured

She only posted five videos when she was unable to train due to her hand in a cast but they were of substantial length. She is to go to hospital to be operated soon and some kind of rehabilitation period may be expected so who knows, maybe she will post again.
Not particularly skating related - she talks about makeup, clothes, difficulties of life with one's hand in a cast, etc. and she also answers questions. Originally in Russian. Nevertheless, should be listed here, I think. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wait, so many? Is there a statistics somewhere? :laugh: like there's one for literally anything connected to skating
And the reasons why they start both?
Patrick played, Conrad, I think Roman, Zach Lagha... Zach reached a good level... There is Armin (forgot his last and complicated name from the USA who was quite good at the piano)
And regarding the violin, I am not being dismissive about what other instruments have to do :) but simply stating a fact. One finger, one string, bowed or plucked, it doesn't matter... violinists can play double stops... but that's all... playing the simplest Chopin Nocturne means that both melody and accompaniments have to be played at the same time, while both hands are producing different sounds at various tempi and with contrasting purposes... It is the accumulation of functions a pianist does that develops ambidexterity. In my case, as I have broken my upper limbs a few times, I can testify that it's very useful to be able to be a lefty whenever needed ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting take. I think that the right hand of a violinist does a little more, e.g. when plucking strings. But I totally get the point, being (well, longer ago) a pianist myself. Well, I kind of switched skills fĂĽr piano to computer typing and I always thought the piano also helped me learn to type faster on the computer. Not with a special system, just in general.

e: what do you think is Evan's stronger field? Music or skating?
probably skating. Many many people can play Chopin nocturnes (most of my students get to that point after a few years)... but not so many can do triple jumps.

Magill

Record Breaker
Patrick played, Conrad, I think Roman, Zach Lagha... Zach reached a good level... There is Armin (forgot his last and complicated name from the USA who was quite good at the piano)
And regarding the violin, I am not being dismissive about what other instruments have to do :) but simply stating a fact. One finger, one string, bowed or plucked, it doesn't matter... violinists can play double stops... but that's all... playing the simplest Chopin Nocturne means that both melody and accompaniments have to be played at the same time, while both hands are producing different sounds at various tempi and with contrasting purposes... It is the accumulation of functions a pianist does that develops ambidexterity. In my case, as I have broken my upper limbs a few times, I can testify that it's very useful to be able to be a lefty whenever needed ;)
Nathan Chen plays piano, too. Although he is not Canadian so I am not sure if he counts here... :)

Magill

Record Breaker
Tell me, please, is it really difficult to play Chopin? I love his music but I cannot play piano so I cannot judge it.... just curious to know, :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's why I dared to mention Nathan....
@yesterday 's question is not limited to Canadian skaters nor was my answer... moving on here.
ETA the few names I mentioned, are well-documented (i.e I have seen video evidence... and remembered...) I am 100% sure that there are MANY more skaters from all over the world who play piano. Learning piano has become a very standard activity, just like swimming lessons, at least, in my part of the world.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Tell me, please, is it really difficult to play Chopin? I love his music but I cannot play piano so I cannot judge it.... just curious to know, :)
It is as hard as you make it to be... it's easy to play anything badly.. and hard to play anything well. If you want to play Chopin, take lessons for a few years. Some manage it quickly, others take several years to get there. It's all about the effort you put in.

Magill

Record Breaker
It is as hard as you make it to be... it's easy to play anything badly.. and hard to play anything well. If you want to play Chopin, take lessons for a few years. Some manage it quickly, others take several years to get there. It's all about the effort you put in.
Thanks for your answer!

yesterday

Record Breaker
Learning piano has become a very standard activity, just like swimming lessons, at least, in my part of the world.

Interesting, in my region, I'd put learning an instrument (not only piano) at the same level as leaning to skate - when starting early and seriously. More a niche, expensive and 'elite' thing.

I took piano lessons because I went to an elementary school with a focus on music and we had to play two instruments at least (and it was what my parents were most 'familiar' with and we could borrow one from friends) but there are not many schools like this so I think other kids might start because the familiy, parents have a music affinity but without one or the other I guess it's difficult.

I just looked for numbers and found an article from 2017 where it says 8% of all under-25 attend a specific music school 🤔 is that a lot? Can't say.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interesting, in my region, I'd put learning an instrument (not only piano) at the same level as leaning to skate - when starting early and seriously. More a niche, expensive and 'elite' thing.

I took piano lessons because I went to an elementary school with a focus on music and we had to play two instruments at least (and it was what my parents were most 'familiar' with and we could borrow one from friends) but there are not many schools like this so I think other kids might start because the familiy, parents have a music affinity but without one or the other I guess it's difficult.

I just looked for numbers and found an article from 2017 where it says 8% of all under-25 attend a specific music school 🤔 is that a lot? Can't say.
i don't want to make this thread drift too much so i will stop ... BUT... 8% of people going to a specific music school is very good.... not sure there are that many in my region. BUT exactly for that reason, people learn piano OUTSIDE of school. and many get to an advanced level... some go to music for postsecondary school but that too is in decline. BUT still,,, 8% is a lot compared to people doing Sport/Study in figure skating...
PIano at an advance level is niche and elite.. yes... just like anything at a very developed level... but many people PLAY piano for fun and even can get to a good level (like some of the skaters we know) because of the nature of it... as I said, if you want to play really well, it takes a lot of work, but many can squeeze in a chopin nocturne with very basic dedication. Anyways.. moving on...

Last edited: