Fitter/boots recommandations | Golden Skate

Fitter/boots recommandations

Minya

Spectator
Hi everyone !

I’m a adult beginner skater (32 years old), started about 4 months ago in CanSkate adult lessons, not progressing exceedingly fast (only starting to work on backward crossovers, 3-turns, Mohawks, but still far from proper ones, can’t figure out spins for the life of me)

I do love skating though and have wanted to learn for a long time, and I’d like to keep at it and progress more. I’ll be travelling this spring and summer and I don’t know how much access to an ice rink I’ll have, so I’ve been looking into figure roller skates/frames (it would be a good investment anyways since in France where I’m from rinks close from April to September…)
I’d also like to have my current ice skates looked at, they’re Riedell Strides that I got at a shop that does mostly hockey (because if I wanted to start skating I didn’t have that much choice), luckily they don’t seem to be such a bad fit but I think some baking, punching, something for arch support might help.
However I’m currently in the middle of nowhere in the Kootenays (Canada) and don’t have access to a proper fitter (higher level skaters here mostly seem to go to Vancouver for fittings… 10h away by car)

In the spring I’ll be passing through Winnipeg and Montréal in Canada, and also Lyon and Paris in France so I was wondering if you guys had any good fitters to recommend there (or anywhere around the French Alps would work)? Also how does it usually go, I guess I might need to come there for several appointments, maybe some time apart if something needs to be ordered ?

I would also love some boots recommandations (for budget planning and not coming in clueless at a shop), I guess for roller frames I’d be looking at Pic skates, Snow Whites or Roll-line Lineas depending on what the shop has or can get in the right size, but for boots I’m not sure. Should they be the same stiffness as ones for ice skating ?

For potentially relevant info : I’m about 1.73m (5’8), 62kg (135-140lbs), Egyptian/roman feet not sure (the first toe is biggest then 2nd and 3rd about the same size then tapered), I would say of medium and constant width along their length, medium arches, and have pretty bad knock knees apparently. My ankles tend to roll easily when I walk so I guess Edeas and their looser fit wouldn’t be best for me ?
For the few skates I’ve tried, I didn’t love the Jackson fit (6B and 6C felt awfully small, 7C felt awfully big) but maybe it just wasn’t my size, Riedell boots felt easier to fit in (4.5 was much too small but somehow easier to get in than size 6 Jacksons ? 5.5M were the ones) but a bit narrow, didn’t get to try anything else (also is it normal that skates feel much tighter when trying them on at a shop but then roomier on the ice ? How do you know if they’re the right fit before buying them then ?)

Sorry for the many questions, and thanks for the help and all the good info on these forums !

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can't help with fitters but when it comes to artistic inline frames, Roll Line Linea are the best by far. The quality is outstanding and there's a great choice of wheels and toe stops. Plus you can alter the rocker to suit your skating, which is a total game changer. Ideally, use the same model of boot on the inlines as you would on ice, so you minimise the difference between "feet", if that makes sense?

tinna

Spectator
Don't wait until you get to Paris. There are two shops selling figure skating gear, both in the suburbs outside of the city itself, and neither is particularly great. I have been "fitted" in both. They basically give you boots in your shoe size and ask you if it feels okay.
I am lucky to have uncomplicated feet but friends of mine have actually gone to England (Everglides or Al's skate shop) or even Russia to be fitted if they have problematic feet.
I don't know about Lyon though.

Minya

Spectator
Thanks for the answers !

I can't help with fitters but when it comes to artistic inline frames, Roll Line Linea are the best by far. The quality is outstanding and there's a great choice of wheels and toe stops. Plus you can alter the rocker to suit your skating, which is a total game changer. Ideally, use the same model of boot on the inlines as you would on ice, so you minimise the difference between "feet", if that makes sense?
Thank you ! Are they often available in or through shops or do most people usually order them individually ? I'm asking because I don't know how much I trust myself to measure boots in order to get the right size for frames 🙈 (they seem to have a nice chart for sizes as long as you have Edea/Jackson/Risport boots though)

Don't wait until you get to Paris. There are two shops selling figure skating gear, both in the suburbs outside of the city itself, and neither is particularly great. I have been "fitted" in both. They basically give you boots in your shoe size and ask you if it feels okay.
I am lucky to have uncomplicated feet but friends of mine have actually gone to England (Everglides or Al's skate shop) or even Russia to be fitted if they have problematic feet.
I don't know about Lyon though.
Oh wow 🙈 I heard about Interglace in Paris but didn't have much feedback, I was hoping they'd be good but maybe not then... Maybe I'll just take advantage of being in Canada if there are better fitters here ! Like in Montréal as suggested by @starryskate

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the answers !

Thank you ! Are they often available in or through shops or do most people usually order them individually ? I'm asking because I don't know how much I trust myself to measure boots in order to get the right size for frames 🙈 (they seem to have a nice chart for sizes as long as you have Edea/Jackson/Risport boots though)

Yes, you can usually order them to come mounted on the boot of your choice.

bruingrl

Rinkside
I was recently fitted for skates by someone who is very qualified. He asked questions about my skate level now and what kind of skating I intend to do in addition to getting my height/weight. I also showed him my old skates and he watched me walk and took a look at my feet (width/arch/whether I pronate or supinate). He then recommended a brand for me based on these things and used a specific measurement tool for that brand to get the right size. He didn't have my skate in stock, so I had to wait 10 days for it to come in before I could get it heat molded and the blades sharpened. Then I skated two short sessions in them over two weeks to make sure the blades were aligned properly before having them permanently mounted. I did have the alignment adjusted slightly after the second session, which made a HUGE difference.

All this being said, I recommend finding a qualified skate tech who can do these things for you. They all make a huge difference in your skating - and your skating experience. I had ill-fitting skates back in college and it ultimately made me stop skating, because I thought it was me and not the skates that were having issues.

Note, I'm an adult skater who has no intention of doing anything more than an Axel. I just wanted a good pair of skates that I can use for semi-consistent skating to work on my skating skills for fun.

tinna

Spectator
Thanks for the answers !

Oh wow 🙈 I heard about Interglace in Paris but didn't have much feedback, I was hoping they'd be good but maybe not then... Maybe I'll just take advantage of being in Canada if there are better fitters here ! Like in Montréal as suggested by @starryskate
Interglace is in Asnières-sur-Seine, outside of Paris. It is clearly the better one of the two, the but I don't think it is anything like the fittings you would get in Montreal.

Minya

Spectator
@bruingrl that does sound like a great fitting ! I hope I find something like that too !

Sooo fun new development I might not be able to go to Montréal and only go to Winnipeg... Anyone knows a good fitter there ? While looking I could only see The Inner Edge that is marked as definitely closed...
From what I can see in another topic here fitters in France seem hard to come by...

Edit : Oooh and now that I'm thinking of it, my place in France is at a driving distance from Geneva in Switzerland and Torino in Italy so those places could be options too if there are fitters there

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@bruingrl that does sound like a great fitting ! I hope I find something like that too !

Sooo fun new development I might not be able to go to Montréal and only go to Winnipeg... Anyone knows a good fitter there ? While looking I could only see The Inner Edge that is marked as definitely closed...
From what I can see in another topic here fitters in France seem hard to come by...

Edit : Oooh and now that I'm thinking of it, my place in France is at a driving distance from Geneva in Switzerland and Torino in Italy so those places could be options too if there are fitters there
How close is your place in France to Frankfurt Germany? There is an excellent fitter there.

Minya

Spectator
How close is your place in France to Frankfurt Germany? There is an excellent fitter there.
Not very close, sadly (like a 9ish hours trip unless I take a plane) (my place is in Savoie in the Alps so very close to the Italian an Swiss borders)
But it could probably be a last resort if I can't find anything else !

Friday

Rinkside

There is a shop in Turin called 'Monticonesport'. They only sell Risport and Edea though, and I have no idea how good they are.

Then there's a shop in France near Mont Blanc that's called 'Le Vestiaire' and another one called 'La Plagne'.

In Switzerland there's 'CocoSkate' and I actually know of another one, but I forgot the name of it.

I have no idea about the quality of fitting in any of these shops, and most of them sell hockey gear too.

You could search for local skaters from Switzerland / Italy on Instagram though, and ask them about their fitters.

But honestly, try to go one of the well recommended fitters in Canada.

Last edited:

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada
You don't need to know which size Rolline plates, as there are charts like this:

LINEA-MOUNTING-REFERENCES.jpg

https://inlineartistic.roll-line.it/product/linea/

Plates can be ordered online, once you know the boot that works for you.
Personally, I would make sure I really love the boot first on the ice, then create my inline set-up. (I have plans to switch out my RF3 once they're broken in on the ice and get another pair for the ice)

There's a few shops in the rollerskating world who have great techs in Ontario - as I skated artistic rollerskating as well - If you're worried about good mounting for the inlines, just message me.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
I can also attest to Maison de Patin in Montreal. I only trust them with my sharpening and basically all the skaters in Montreal get fitted there. You need to make an appointment online to get a fitting. It’s not super accessible by public transport (actually none of the fitters are in central Montreal) so I would suggest either taking an Uber or driving there.

There is also Patinage Plus in Laval or L’Artiste de Patin in Brossard. All 3 fitters I mention are 30 min drive from downtown Montreal.

Minya

Spectator
You could search for local skaters from Switzerland / Italy on Instagram though, and ask them about their fitters.
Oh that's a good idea I hadn't thought about that !

Sadly I won't be going to Montréal anymore, because I have to come back to France earlier than planned for health related reasons, which means the only big city in Canada that I will be coming anywhere close to is Winnipeg. As it doesn't look like there are any fitters there, it looks like I'm gonna have to find a fitter in Europe.