Gold: “We’re only half way through" | Golden Skate

Gold: “We’re only half way through"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA’s Gracie Gold currently leads the Ladies event at the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships after a series of sensational short programs by the top athletes. Anna Pogorilaya of Russia is in second, followed by teammate Evgenia Medvedeva, while USA’s Ashley Wagner is in a close fourth.

More

Gold: “We’re only half way through, but I am kind of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and that maybe the drought is ending, which would be amazing,” said Gold of the USA’s absence from the World Championships medal podium since 2006.
Medvedeva: “All competitions are important to me,” the 16-year-old said of her senior worlds debut. “However, when I stepped out and saw the full stands and the spectators so close to the ice, I realized that this is a big stage.”
Wagner: “I know it doesn’t sound PC (politically correct), but I don’t need this medal,” the three-time U.S. champion said of the pressure to finish on the World podium. “I need to let myself skate and the rest happens. I have focused too much on placement and medals before and that has gotten me absolutely nowhere.”

boskil

Match Penalty
Wagner: “I know it doesn’t sound PC (politically correct), but I don’t need this medal”
25yo multiple national champion finishing her ninth year on international level, saying she doesn't need World Championship medal. :rolleye:
It's not about political correctness, it's about saying weirdest things.
I think she must be shocked by her 4th place position after SP of her life - talk about reality check! :eek:

peachblossom

Rinkside
Please, skating gods, please let Ashley skate a clean long program this weekend

I hope so too. She is skating last and is still in the underdog position where she likes to be. I am praying that she skates the best free program of her life on Saturday!

peachblossom

Rinkside
25yo multiple national champion finishing her ninth year on international level, saying she doesn't need World Championship medal. :rolleye:
I think she must be shocked by her 4th place position after SP of her life - talk about reality check! :eek:

She says this because she knows if she wants something too much she will screw up the free program. I think it is in her best interest to just let things happen rather than force things to happen. She likes to be in the underdog position.

narcissa

Record Breaker
> I think she must be shocked by her 4th place position after SP of her life - talk about reality check!

At least the difference between her and 2nd place is less than a point, rather than like 10 points, like it usually is.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think Ashley's remark was more about just concentrating on skating well instead of simply worrying about whether she'll get such and such placement, then messing up because of it. It sounds weird, but I get what she's trying to say.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If we're speaking in completely literal terms, nobody "needs" a world figure skating medal in the way that they "need" nourishment and shelter; life goes on if we aren't on the podium at a competition. ;) Of course, there's nothing wrong with wanting that medal! I think Ashley is just trying to stay grounded and not psych herself out too much.

As for Evgenia, awww, sweet girl. It's like she only just realized how many eyes have been on her this year, and how big of a deal her achievements are.

Amei

Record Breaker

Put that statement down as one of the more ridiculous things to say.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

:disagree:
People don't need World medals to have a good career and Ashley has done a lot. She kept Team USA relevant for a long time and that's something.
What's wrong with wanting to let go of some pressure and just do your best out there? It's a good technique: focus more on the performance and let the results just come after.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

She is essentially tied for 2nd, which is a great achievement. I think she may have lost GOE from some of the judges for taking out her turns into the 3Lo since she ended up having no footwork directly into the jump. However, since she skates last in the LP she is in position to get the highest PCS marks she can earn.

da96103

Record Breaker
Wagner: “I know it doesn’t sound PC (politically correct), but I don’t need this medal,” the three-time U.S. champion said of the pressure to finish on the World podium. “I need to let myself skate and the rest happens. I have focused too much on placement and medals before and that has gotten me absolutely nowhere.”

I know why Ashley said that. She is throwing shade towards goldenskate.com because of this thread.
Wagner's legacy dependent on a World medal?
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?58371-Wagner-s-legacy-dependent-on-a-World-medal

Icey

Record Breaker
I feel the tension growing in Gracie till it overwhelms her and ashley becoming overconfident till that causes her to falter, both missing out on this opportunity. Hope I'm wrong, but both seem, in different ways, to be unprepared for this moment of opportunity. And if true, where does the fault for that lie . Both ladies and their coaches have had more than ample opportunity to prepare for it.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

Really hope the Russian girls have the same mind set! The best psychological tactic, actually, to skate the best.

andromache

Record Breaker
I feel the tension growing in Gracie till it overwhelms her and ashley becoming overconfident till that causes her to falter, both missing out on this opportunity. Hope I'm wrong, but both seem, in different ways, to be unprepared for this moment of opportunity. And if true, where does the fault for that lie . Both ladies and their coaches have had more than ample opportunity to prepare for it.

Fingers crossed that you're wrong! :laugh:

They and their coaches have obviously prepared for this, and done their best to prepare mentally as well. I think Raf is probably better at preparing skaters mentally than Frank though--just look at how consistent Adam Rippon has become! But Gracie and Ashley and Raf and Frank have obviously prepared them to skate clean SPs, and it worked.

The ladies just need to stay focused on the skating and not on the results. The possibility of that elusive World medal in reach might just psyche them out too much. Focus on the elements and the performance instead.

(The possibility of that elusive world medal makes me a nervous wreck for them just thinking about it!)

Alex D

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the competition a lot, the skates were of high quality and it was just human, that errors crawled in as seen with Evgenia who was so confident and perfect all season long. It makes her even more sympathetic in my books, she is not a robot, but a real person.

I wish all the Ladies a great Free Skate and that whoever wins, the discussions will stay friendly. It´s not the skaters who make the scores, always remember that.

My personal top three would be Anna, Gracie and Ashley - as for me all three faced very difficult times in life and were called "bad" many times by haters. In the end, liking all skaters is a luxury problem, but also makes it so hard to watch these competitions at times, as no matter who wins, someone will need a hug and I am no Octopus ... and have just two arms. :disapp:

Last edited:

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Such a tough competition I really really love Mirai skate but I'm also rooting for Gracie. And the more I think of Ashley's quote it's so true and I hope she does well too.
:cheer::popcorn::hap10: