Gold's motive for GP Final pullout in question | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gold's motive for GP Final pullout in question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I quoted you b/c I was continuing to discuss a subtopic that you had addressed.

I was not trying to tell you something that you already know. News flash: plenty of other people are reading this thread besides you and me.
AFAIK, the direct quote from Gracie did not appear earlier in the the thread.

If you are taking offense, I don't understand why. But would you like me to edit my post and remove my quoting of your post?

p.s. Thank you, Mrs. P. As you said, my post was an innocent affirmation.​

I wasn't taking offense at all.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
That's complete disrespect for Frank Carroll and unwarranted. WHY is it when an athlete is injured, particularly a figure skater, that the armchair quarterbacks have to find something sinister in the situation. And a snotty remark about Ashley. Sometimes I hate the fact that people can go on a message board and just tee off on anybody, be mean, be disgusting, and because it's anonymous they can do it without recrimination. Makes me think they have nothing in their lives except to bring grief to others.

Very sad!!!!

:agree: with you noskates. Rudeness ensues. I can't speak for Frank, but I'm pretty sure the last thing he would want is for his athlete to be injured and have to pull out of a major competition. Also, why such the hate at Ashley? I don't understand people and what they get out of spewing such crap.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Everything Jack Gallagher writes has a sensationalist tone to it. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we just see him reaching. He attempted to trash Yuna for skipping the GP series and going to NRW instead when she made her return in 2012, but got the dates wrong. He clearly doesn't fact-check if he's made his mind up about something.

However, if something is suspect about Gracie's exit, it could be because (1) she may want to rest up for the more lucrative ice shows, or (2) redesign her FS, which didn't meet with much enthusiasm from fans or judges.

But again this is all speculation.

What "lucrative" ice shows? None are in Gracie's immediate future.

To repeat myself yet another time: The two Aspen shows are fundraisers for a worthy cause close to Jeremy Abbott's heart.
I find it hard to believe that Gold will receive anything except reimbursement of her travel expenses -- and the priceless gratification of supporting a friend and a well-respected foundation. :)

Nor will she be receiving a paycheck from the Today show. Only coverage of her travel expenses.

I wasn't taking offense at all.

Thx. Happy to hear it. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That report was BS. So because Gracie is showing more common sense then someone like Hanyu who was throwing his body around at COC and floppping all over the place she must be faking it right? Seems to me if anything Gracie and Frank were a heck of a lot smarter then Hanyu and Orser were at COC where logic went out the window. Last thing US skating needs is another Rachael Flatt Alissa C disaster. One day Hanyu and his pride is going to really backfire on him.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
That report was BS. So because Gracie is showing more common sense then someone like Hanyu who was throwing his body around at COC and floppping all over the place she must be faking it right? Seems to me if anything Gracie and Frank were a heck of a lot smarter then Hanyu and Orser were at COC were logic went out the window. Last thing US skating needs is another Rachael Flatt Alissa C disaster. One day Hanyu and his pride is going to really backfire on him.

And what do you need to attack Yuzuru?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well,, Japan times is presumably a Japanese oriented website... I would not be surprised to see a retort to an attack on a US skater to compare a situation of a Japanese skater. Yuzuru is the most recent case of a Japanese skater skating when very injured, possibly unwisely.

if it were a US outlet, the comparison is to Flatt and Czisny..and skating injured did not work.out well for them. It is yet to be seen how it works out long term for Yuzuru.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That report was BS. So because Gracie is showing more common sense then someone like Hanyu who was throwing his body around at COC and floppping all over the place she must be faking it right? Seems to me if anything Gracie and Frank were a heck of a lot smarter then Hanyu and Orser were at COC were logic went out the window. Last thing US skating needs is another Rachael Flatt Alissa C disaster. One day Hanyu and his pride is going to really backfire on him.
What kind of FS fan who expect misfortune to skater, even if you dislike that skater?
You do know that the writer is American, huh?

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think the article is a bunch of baloney. That being said, it does look kind of funny to skate in an ice show after a competition you withdrew from due to injury.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is a pretty ridiculous article. It's not like she would be the first skater to ever withdraw from the GPF due to injury (Lip had to, if I recall). It's incredibly stupid because if Gold went and bombed, this asinine writer would probably crow that she didn't take care of her injury and foolishly tried to compete in the 2nd-stiffest competition all season, other than Worlds.

And she gave ample time for Hongo to compete herself, so everyone's happy. I doubt in her first GPF appearance she wouldn't want to compete if healthy... especially when it's only going to be tougher competition in upcoming seasons. Pogo/Lip/Hongo/Wagner have all had bad competitions this year, and Gold pulls in high PCS compared to these girls even for 4-triple skates.

It's ridiculous to say she's doing it to avoid competing against the Russians when this year was quite possibly her best shot at medaling or even winning the GPF.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
I think the article is a bunch of baloney. That being said, it does look kind of funny to skate in an ice show after a competition you withdrew from due to injury.

I agree with that completely. I understand that you can water down content, but it does just seem a bit odd. What it all boils down to is that the only people that know what's really going on here are Gracie, Frank, and her doctors. As far as her demeanor in giving a live interview, I've always found her to be a bit standoffish in these situations. I think it's a natural reaction to stress for some people when a bunch of cameras are shoved in their faces.
I hope that she is properly healed for nationals, whatever the extent of her injury may be. And that this article, which looks like a bit of an attack does not rattle any confidence she gained from a win at NHK.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well,, Japan times is presumably a Japanese oriented website... I would not be surprised to see a retort to an attack on a US skater to compare a situation of a Japanese skater. Yuzuru is the most recent case of a Japanese skater skating when very injured, possibly unwisely.

if it were a US outlet, the comparison is to Flatt and Czisny..and skating injured did not work.out well for them. It is yet to be seen how it works out long term for Yuzuru.

But was it necessary to refer to him as someone with out common sense and that his pride will bite him some day?... it was uncalled

uhh

Medalist
I thought that if a skater withdrew from an isu event through injury, they were prohibited from doing shows for a set period around the time of the event? Isn't that what Plushenko got into trouble for a few years ago? Or is it OK if your federation sanctions it?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
"When you grow up in a country or culture, you can usually tell when somebody from the same place or background is being insincere. The tone of voice and body language often give them away."

This statement is ludicrous. It is beyond ridiculous, how old is this person?

Icey

Record Breaker
I thought that if a skater withdrew from an isu event through injury, they were prohibited from doing shows for a set period around the time of the event? Isn't that what Plushenko got into trouble for a few years ago? Or is it OK if your federation sanctions it?

no shows, competitions or exhibitions during Grand Prix Period

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"When you grow up in a country or culture, you can usually tell when somebody from the same place or background is being insincere. The tone of voice and body language often give them away."

This statement is ludicrous. It is beyond ridiculous, how old is this person?

I agree. While of course there will be cultural norms, it's ridiculous to suggest that you can gauge somebody's sincerity or lackthereof by virtue of being brought up in similar situations.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Looks like everyone has had their say, so this thread is being closed due to the questionable speculation of this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.