Good fitters in central Europe? | Golden Skate

Good fitters in central Europe?

yesterday

Record Breaker
Hi, I've just read and reserached here now over the last ~16 months or so.
I could not find a thread/info for my country here, most is of course about the US and some about Australia. Tiny other bits I found are UK, Spain, somewhere in Asia,...

My dream is a map where everyone can zoom in and look for the nearest recommended fitter in a certain area :love:
Like what companys do for their shops.

I guess that doesn't exist so far. Who can I ask about central Europe, like Vienna and west of it?
We don't have ice during the summer (for hobby skaters esp.) and I don't really want to wait for the season to start in autumn to not lose time then in case it's a more difficult ride to get fitted or skates need to be ordered and take their time.

After reading a lot and doing research, I found somewhere "near" me and the sell good equipment online. So I thought they would know and contacted them.
Result: they don't even know the word "fitting" :dbana:
I also asked if someone could look at older but good looking skates I bought second hand just to make sure they are still good and to maybe do some minor tweaking to get an optimzed fit in case model and size are right for my feet.

Answer:
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you.
If you want to buy skates, you need an appointment.
You can try on and buy skates from us, but you cannot test skates.
We don't make adaptations to shoes that you didn't buy from us.
Apart from that, we don't do fitting orgies.

Like, okay? Well if you can't follow me that's probably the answer you don't do fittings and lack the equipment? :shrug:
Very confusing. They seem to do well as an online shop though - as long as you know what you need/know what you buy.

Sorry for the novel!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, I've just read and reserached here now over the last ~16 months or so.
I could not find a thread/info for my country here, most is of course about the US and some about Australia. Tiny other bits I found are UK, Spain, somewhere in Asia,...

My dream is a map where everyone can zoom in and look for the nearest recommended fitter in a certain area :love:
Like what companys do for their shops.

I guess that doesn't exist so far. Who can I ask about central Europe, like Vienna and west of it?
We don't have ice during the summer (for hobby skaters esp.) and I don't really want to wait for the season to start in autumn to not lose time then in case it's a more difficult ride to get fitted or skates need to be ordered and take their time.

After reading a lot and doing research, I found somewhere "near" me and the sell good equipment online. So I thought they would know and contacted them.
Result: they don't even know the word "fitting" :dbana:
I also asked if someone could look at older but good looking skates I bought second hand just to make sure they are still good and to maybe do some minor tweaking to get an optimzed fit in case model and size are right for my feet.

Answer:

Like, okay? Well if you can't follow me that's probably the answer you don't do fittings and lack the equipment? :shrug:
Very confusing. They seem to do well as an online shop though - as long as you know what you need/know what you buy.

Sorry for the novel!
So, what brand do you want? what is your feet like so maybe we can start with a possible brand for you and then I can suggest good shops/fitters near you to go to for a fitting to get skates.

yesterday

Record Breaker
So, what brand do you want? what is your feet like so maybe we can start with a possible brand for you and then I can suggest good shops/fitters near you to go to for a fitting to get skates.

I secretly hoped for a shop/fitter where I can find this out and not have to make a "cut" beforehand. But given the lack of lots of shops I see now that's probably not very likely.

Thank you for pointing this out! :drama:

I'm leaning towards Jacksons and the pair I have (some older model which they don't sell anymore I believe) feel good and just are a bit tight at the ball area. Sideways, not from above.

From my guess I have the Roman foot type, but only the first two are the same length, not three.
Is that enough info?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I secretly hoped for a shop/fitter where I can find this out and not have to make a "cut" beforehand. But given the lack of lots of shops I see now that's probably not very likely.

Thank you for pointing this out! :drama:

I'm leaning towards Jacksons and the pair I have (some older model which they don't sell anymore I believe) feel good and just are a bit tight at the ball area. Sideways, not from above.

From my guess I have the Roman foot type, but only the first two are the same length, not three.
Is that enough info?
Skill level? high arch, low arch, no arch?

yesterday

Record Breaker
As my first serious course got interrupted by lockdown, no real skill level yet. But I do move around by myself and con do swizzels and basic moving, bad forward crossovers. Managed one revolution on an upright tow footed spin. Rather normal arch I'd say.

I did occasionally skate long before the course. Zooming around is fine but I wanted to do a bit more.

(wanted to add - I wrote "I guess" when it comes to my foot type because sometimes, depending on the angle and day or so it looks more like the Egyptian type - it's only depending on the second toe looking bit longer or shorter. I think that's not that big a deal, difference? Just wanted to mention it.)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As my first serious course got interrupted by lockdown, no real skill level yet. But I do move around by myself and con do swizzels and basic moving, bad forward crossovers. Managed one revolution on an upright tow footed spin. Rather normal arch I'd say.

I did occasionally skate long before the course. Zooming around is fine but I wanted to do a bit more.

(wanted to add - I wrote "I guess" when it comes to my foot type because sometimes, depending on the angle and day or so it looks more like the Egyptian type - it's only depending on the second toe looking bit longer or shorter. I think that's not that big a deal, difference? Just wanted to mention it.)
I'll send you a list of some fitters in your area.

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Hi Yesterday,

If you are in Vienna, you're very close to the WIFA store. They may not use the term "fitting" as the term is mostly used by English speakers. I can assure you that after sending in a drawing of my foot with measurements, photos and 2 phone conversations, I got perfectly fitted boots! They have many widths to choose from and 2 different last shapes as well. Sometimes they even have sales!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There is also a shop in Innsbruck, Austria that offers a "skate fitting box". The fitting box consists of a questionnaire, tape measure and some kind of foam blocks (sorry, I have no idea what they are called in English). Basically, you make your foot prints into the foam, fill in relevant measurements and other data (skill level, height, weight,...) into the questionnaire and send the whole thing back to the shop and they will provide you with a boot suggestion. The questionnaire is in German, but maybe they can provide an English translation for you if needed?
Of course it's not as ideal as an in-person fitting, but it's still better than just guessing which boots might be right for you.

Apart from that, if you are located around Vienna, I would also recommend contacting the WIFA store. They only sell their own brand of boots though.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Thank you both!
Yes I know about WIFA, there's just not a lot on information globally around for them. And as I have those Jacksons I fear I can't ask them to take a closer look on those.

I also know about those with the box - but similar story, as I'd need to go somewhere in person anyway for inspection, I wondered if there's a place to have both :scratch2:So, a professional lookon those boots and depending on the answer a fitting for another pair.

ETA: maybe I should add - the language is not a problem, I just asked in english as this is an international forum :)

Last edited: