HELP! Jacksons or Riedells.... MAJOR issues | Golden Skate

HELP! Jacksons or Riedells.... MAJOR issues

Sk8life

Spectator
Okay so I have been in a rut for weeks and I’m really hoping someone can help me.

I am an adult male skater (quite small, 5’7 about 135 lbs), currently in Jackson Mystiques and am moving up to Jackson Freestyles. I was put in a size 7 in Jackson Mystiques and unfortunately was sized wrong, one whole size. I really should be a 6. When I went to try on the Jackson Freestyles, the pro shop highly suggested that I do NOT use Jacksons, as they are apparently for wider feet, and mine are more narrow. They suggested I use Riedells, as they’re more for narrow feet. I was reluctant, so I tried on a Jackson 6.5, had it heat molded and tied the laces (I didn’t do it extremely tight, I didn’t know I was supposed to... oops! Lol), and my heel was lifting as I walked. However, I’m not sure if I tried on a WIDE, or a REGULAR. They then told me that I would probably be a 6 in Jackson Freestyles.

Because they were reluctant to sell me the Jacksons, they suggested I tried on Riedells. SO... they ordered me a 6.5 in Riedells, as apparently they run smaller than Jackson’s...(??) I decided I also wanted to try a Jackson Freestyle and ordered a size 6 REGULAR.

I am very reluctant to order Riedells for 2 main reasons: 1) they lack the support the Jackson Freestyles have, and 2) they’re made more for beginners (not to mention, Kwan tried them years ago and HATED them).

So, this is where you all come in.... I need to know.... is my foot really too narrow for a Jackson? Are they really too wide for me? I honestly don’t want to do the Riedells, especially if they’re for beginners. I’ve been skating a little over 6 months and am currently doing Waltz, Salchow, Toe Loop, Half Flip, and Half Lutz (in mystiques, believe it or not LOL). They’re extremely broken down its awful, not to mention a size too big!

Should I go with the Jackson or Riedell? Was I wrong for ordering the size 6 Jackson? Should I have done a 6.5 regular for Jackson? All the pro shops I’ve spoken to have suggested I NOT use Jacksons, but all coaches (and even a Jackson rep) have told me my feet are fine for them. Help, please!

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Not sure why you think Riedells are for beginners: they range from an entry level skate up to a quad-capable-men's skate, just like Jacksons. Riedells are not for "narrow feet" per se - they fit a range of feet.

You need to go to an honest pro shop - ask your coach for a recommendation - and get a proper fit.

Sk8life

Spectator
I had a coach who actually told me Riedells were more for beginners..... hm. But also the fact that riedells have less support than Jacksons...

My coach told me to go to his ice center, we don’t have that many other options out where I’m from unfortunately :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The "Jacksons are for wide feet" is balderdash. I happily wore A-width Jacksons on my small, narrow feet for some years until they broke down.

Nimyue

On the Ice
What it really is, is that to toe on the Jackson is rounder than the Riedell. So if your big toe and the two toes next to it are similar in length, the Jackson will be more comfortable. If you have Roman toes where each toe in consecutively smaller, the Riedell toe box will fit better.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I had a coach who actually told me Riedells were more for beginners..... hm. But also the fact that riedells have less support than Jacksons...

My coach told me to go to his ice center, we don’t have that many other options out where I’m from unfortunately :(

Have you actually looked at the Kinzie's Closet link? Have you checked out Riedell's website? https://www.shop-ice.riedellskates.com/Catalog/Boots/Instructional-Series

There are professional skaters skating in Riedells. Jacksons do tend to run 'stiffer' so a '45 stiffness Jackson feels stiffer than a 45 Riedell. This doesn't matter. It just means you buy the 60 stiffness Riedell. Also too stiff does matter. If you can't bend in your skates, you can't jump.

Riedells are great skates. So are Jacksons. If the skate tech is telling you Riedells will fit better, trust them. They typically know more than coaches as this is what they do for a living.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am narrow and had the Riedell Motions for 4 years and was very happy with them. Great support and fit my feet really well.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To: OP.

You posted the same question under a slightly different heading: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?75715-Advice-on-figure-skates-Jackson-or-Riedell . You got many well-thought-out responses. Apparently, you didn't like any of them, because there is only one response you want to hear: that Riedells are junk, and that Jackson Freestyles is the right boot for you. So, if that's the only answer you're willing to accept, there's no point in further posts: you've already made up your mind, and you seek validation, no matter how irrational.

I'll throw in one extra piece of info, though. The Jackson line, including the Freestyle, has been heavily revised over the last year or two. So, if you are insistent on the Freestyle, make sure the one you tried on is the latest model; there are plenty of the old models still on the shelves. In particular, the new model is formed on the Elite last, which means stock sizes automatically come in split widths: the heel is one width narrower than the toe. This is great if your feet conform to this design template (mine do); but not great, if they don't. Again, each manufacturer has different design templates, and it's a question of which ones match your feet the best ... if you're willing to be objective.

ETA: Another point to consider. The Jackson Freestyle comes only as a kit, with a pre-mounted blade. Comparable level Riedells give you a choice: you can buy them as a kit with a pre-mounted blade, or you can buy the boots alone, and pick the blade of your choice.

Sk8life

Spectator
Thanks for the information! :)

Also, apologies on posting twice!! Haha. I only did that because I thought this forum was for different topics and thought whoops, perhaps the other forum topic I posted in will render more accurate responses.... but then again, I guess the more responses the better. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Did you find that they lasted a while or broke down fairly quick?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Karne! Thanks for the information. I was thinking the same thing. Did you feel any pain when you wore them?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey Karne! Thanks for the information. I was thinking the same thing. Did you feel any pain when you wore them?

Only towards the end, when they were breaking down. Additionally, towards the end I was having some problems with my feet (not related to skating or the boots). That was the only time they were painful. Now I'm in Edeas.

Also, please use the quote feature when replying; had you not included my name, I wouldn't have known if any of those remarks were addressed to me.