Inaugural Peggy Fleming Trophy, Fri Jun 22 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Inaugural Peggy Fleming Trophy, Fri Jun 22

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Josh is here!! I just caught a tiny glimpse!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of good skating. I agree with the medals. More details later.

Per Brooklee:

Final results:
@TimDolensky 109.04
@CamdenPulk 100.14
@JordanMoeller 97.50 ...

https://twitter.com/brookleeh95/status/1010365336691060736 (Jun 22)​

And piecing together Brooklee's earlier tweets, I think Torgashev placed 4th and Emily Chan placed 5th?

Even as other skaters still were competing and before knowing that he won, Dolensky tweeted:

Well that was honestly one the coolest things I’ve ever done. Thanks to Peggy Fleming and @USFigureSkating for putting on this cool new event. I hope this is one of the directions our sport goes towards in the near future. #PFT2018​

Tavi, thanks for spying Josh :luv17:.

ETA:

Forgot to mention that Jordan Moeller :bow: also was the choreographer for Courtney Hicks, per Brooklee's reporting.​

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a great lineup for the Artistic comp, and how cool: the top finishers all skated at Philly International last year, must have been a sign;)

Saw that Jordan skated to Albinoni, presumably the Adagio in G? How lovely:luv17: Can’t wait to see Timmy D.’s skate as well, although I don’t recognize the name of the tune.

Way to go guys! :clap:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What a great lineup for the Artistic comp, and how cool: the top finishers all skated at Philly International last year, must have been a sign;)

Saw that Jordan skated to Albinoni, presumably the Adagio in G? How lovely:luv17: Can’t wait to see Timmy D.’s skate as well, although I don’t recognize the name of the tune.

Way to go guys! :clap:

Tim skated to "Evermore" from the live action Beauty and the Beast film that was released in 2017.
It's an excellent song and where it fits in the film, so I'm really glad Tim's skating to it.

ETA: This is the same song that Kayne/O'Shea used in exhibition this year, only they used the Josh Groban version, and Tim is using the version from the actor in the film, Dan Stevens.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Love those programs it really does feel like a different event with much more freedom and interesting choreography. Hope it takes off.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
PFT medal ceremony:

Dolensky, Pulkinen, Moeller received their medals from Peggy Fleming.

I have not watched the whole thing yet, but then with the gallant assistance of the medalists, Peggy walked out onto the ice in her high heels for a group photo with all the entries.
For the photo op, the large-ish (and heavy?) trophy was brought out onto the ice on its own stand.

ETA:

Emily Chan posted a photo showing all entries with Peggy and the trophy:

Tim received a plaque as well as medal. (Better view in @drew_meekins Insta story.) I guess maybe the trophy itself is the type that the winner does not take home, but has her/his name engraved on it?​

ETA (on Jun 26):

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i only watched one program from the top 3... I don't think there is enough difference between that format to what we are used to see to have a life of its own... actually the skater reused his SP program but just included different simpler jumps... so yeah.. i don't know... will let this time to grow... but i a doubtful it will, in this format, spread out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i only watched one program from the top 3... I don't think there is enough difference between that format to what we are used to see to have a life of its own... actually the skater reused his SP program but just included different simpler jumps... so yeah.. i don't know... will let this time to grow... but i a doubtful it will, in this format, spread out.

With all due respect to Camden, I think Tim Dolensky’s program is the primary example of what this comp was made for. When Tim doesn’t have to force the quad in his program, he is magical (even when he does, he can be magical, but without it. Ahhhhh:yes:)

I look forward to seeing what other skaters, freed from tyranny of an extra (IMO unnecessary) revolution can do. The comp was made for me too:laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hey all - I put a few more impressions in the US men’s thread if you’re interested. Sorry I got distracted and basically stopped reporting last night, but if there’s anyone you have questions about, let me know and I’ll try to answer.

Of the women, I really enjoyed Livvy Shilling - she has a clean, confident style that’s really nice to watch. Hanna Harrell has generally very solid jumps but she’s young and needs to develop her artistic side more. I missed Sonja Hilmer, sadly, and most of Emily Chan - but what I saw of Emily was really nice. Julia Fennell is really musical and does a lot of things beautifully, but she did not seem confident in her jumps. Courtney hasn’t been with Kori very long, but I think she’s already improving her presentation.

I think the biggest surprise for me was that even when given the opportunity to focus on spins and moves such as spirals, so many skaters still opted to use some not very creative or well done spins and did only perfunctory spirals. Maybe the scoring required it, or maybe it was easier because that’s what people train in their “regular” competitive programs. On the other hand, there were quite a few awesome spread eagles and hydroblades.

Second biggest surprise was how many people were sitting at the judges / tech panel tables. I did realize later that one of them was the announcer, but still! Maybe if the rules are totally different from COP - or if they are using new COP rules (not sure how this was judged) judges needed assistance to know what rules actually were. I wasn’t seated directly behind the tech panel (it was roped off) but I could still see their screens - just wasn’t paying much attention. As I also wasn’t paying much attention to which jumps were actually being done - sorry about that.

Overall I really enjoyed it and hope that in future years we will see more and more focus on real artistry in the programs.

@Stitchmonkey, it turns out that the lady who reminded me of Johnny Weir is the coach of Jacob DeWolfe, one of the skaters (at least, she was in knc with him). I only ever saw her from across the rink, so up close she may or may not actually resemble Johnny. But I did notice in the kiss n cry that she was wearing a pair of silver glitter stiletto boots that both Johnny and Rohene Ward would probably covet. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
With all due respect to Camden, I think Tim Dolensky’s program is the primary example of what this comp was made for. When Tim doesn’t have to force the quad in his program, he is magical (even when he does, he can be magical, but without it. Ahhhhh:yes:)

I look forward to seeing what other skaters, freed from tyranny of an extra (IMO unnecessary) revolution can do. The comp was made for me too:laugh:

Dolensky did say in his Figure Skaters Online interview that (I'm paraphrasing) training three separate programs for Broadmoor/PFT was a lot. He chose not to do Aerial Challenge this year (after being a team captain last year).

Camden is competing in Aerial Challenge today; he also won Broadmoor SP and FS + placed second at PFT.

Not making judgments on what either man chose to do. Supportive of both.

I hope that PFT will continue and that the concept of competition focusing on artistry will grow.
I do not know whether it would be realistic for every entry in an artistic comp to train a completely separate third program.

ETA:

Here is the passage from the Dolensky interview (Jun 21):

FSO: What club competitions will you be competing in this summer?

TD: I will be competing at Broadmoor Open and will be competing both programs there. I also will be doing the new Peggy Fleming Trophy (artistic) event, which will be really fun. I’m not doing the Aerial Challenge (jump event) this year because I didn’t want to do too much. It’s already hard right now training three programs, so after this event when I go down to two, it will be really easy! (laughs) I think we are doing Detroit (Skate Detroit, July 20-21) after Broadmoor, and that’s about as far as we have gotten.

Great to hear from Tavi that programs from lots of skaters were highly enjoyable.

Hope :pray::pray: :pray: :pray: that maybe next year streaming will be free. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m not surprised to hear that training 3 programs for one competition is a lot. Tim was super impressive here, but didn’t place as highly at the combined Broadmoor Open portion of the comp - which I think Camden won. Camden did well here, but IMO Tim performed at such a high level that no one else was really close. No diss intended towards Camden or anyone else, just trying to convey that Tim was amazing here.

Some of that may simply reflect how each skater performed on the day of each of programs they competed - we all have our “off” days - but it may also reflect which programs they were able to train the most or were most innately comfortable with.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Full list of scores, courtesy of Brooklee and IFS Magazine:

I will type out top ten placements here (but click on a link above for scores for all 27 entries [one withdrawal]):

Dolensky
Pulkinen
Moeller
Torgashev
Chan
Hicks
Sewall
Jalovick
Shilling
Hilmer​

ETA (on Jun 24):

On Friday, Broadmoor Skating Club posted seven photos related to Peggy Fleming Trophy.

(No PFT competitors in these photos. The photos mostly are of Peggy and the trophy with various officials.)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10156646088654548&id=183308679547 (Jun 22)​

ETA (on Jun 26):

Broadmoor Skating Club has added group photos of all competitors with Peggy Fleming. Also one of the plaque given to winner Dolensky.

Dolensky posted some photos taken by Brooklee.
Includes a shot of all medalists with their medals (and Tim with his plaque) with Peggy; one of Tim getting a hug from Peggy; one of Tim with Peggy and the trophy + his mother + Darlene and Peter Cain. Not to mention a gorgeous shot of Tim's spread eagle.

BTW, Broadmoor Open awards a number of Outstanding Performance trophies.
Dolensky also won this year's Jenkins Trophy.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
😀 she is my son's coach only and no up close she does not look like J.W 😀

If Jacob is your son, just wanted to say I thought he did a great job - and audience really loved him! The ability to engage an audience is so important - hope to see him again!

JenDew

Spectator
Oh Thank you. I'm proud of him & he loves performing. He didn't have the skate he planned but just having come from UC shortly before for clearance to skate he did the best he could considering. The weekend was his first time skating a competition in the altitude and being dehydrated affected his ability somewhat. But, live and learn. I didn't see his Peggy Fleming skate so it's nice to hear feedback. Thank you, Jenny

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh Thank you. I'm proud of him & he loves performing. He didn't have the skate he planned but just having come from UC shortly before for clearance to skate he did the best he could considering. The weekend was his first time skating a competition in the altitude and being dehydrated affected his ability somewhat. But, live and learn. I didn't see his Peggy Fleming skate so it's nice to hear feedback. Thank you, Jenny

Getting used to altitude takes a lot longer than you would think, even for a trained athlete - kudos to him for his determination!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Getting used to altitude takes a lot longer than you would think, even for a trained athlete - kudos to him for his determination!

There is a medication, diamox, that can help with altitude acclimatization. It is probably safe (has been used for many years to treat epilepsy) and seems to work. You won't acclimatize overnight, but it does speed up the process.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
There is a medication, diamox, that can help with altitude acclimatization. It is probably safe (has been used for many years to treat epilepsy) and seems to work. You won't acclimatize overnight, but it does speed up the process.

Good to know. But I wonder if that’s something competitive skaters can use.

I am pretty sure I read that when Jason moved to Colorado he needed extra oxygen for the first year.