Israel's Tkachenko and Kiliakov move up the ranks | Golden Skate

News Israel's Tkachenko and Kiliakov move up the ranks

News

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Learn more about the 2024 World Junior silver medalists 🥈 who have shown massive improvement since 2022-23! Read about their inspiration, family roots, coaching team, hobbies and more!

Weathergal

Medalist

Learn more about the 2024 World Junior silver medalists 🥈 who have shown massive improvement since 2022-23! Read about their inspiration, family roots, coaching team, hobbies and more!
Very interesting and comprehensive article! I really liked their Yello RD this year and felt it was one of the more original 80s music choices.

She is 18 and he is 19. They have been skating together for five years in Juniors and have known each oher since pre-school. There must be some lesson there for coaches and national federations who want to grow their teams for the long haul.

I was interested in how they got caught up in COVID protocols. The state of Virginia started easing restrictions sooner than Maryland did, which pushed these dancers to move to a facility in Virginia. Back in their former rink ice dancers had to practice without holding hands.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In regard to footwork, both ice dancers agree that the diagonal steps are their favorite.
“They can be very big and sprawling,” Kiliakov explained. “I find with a circular it can be challenging to close this loop and to skate big and with a lot of speed. It’s a challenge!”

“I definitely agree about the circular,” Tkachenko added. “We’ve had those in the past before and we always had this problem where we would have so much speed and it would just look like an oval and not like a circle. You can just do a lot more with the diagonal steps.”

I wonder if this is the case for most ice dance teams?