Italian girl of 20 really need some advice to choose the best skates for her complex situation!! | Golden Skate

Italian girl of 20 really need some advice to choose the best skates for her complex situation!!

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! I'm enjoying your forum a lot!

I really need some advice!! But first I will explain my complex situation. I'm an Italian girl, 20 years old, and I always loved figure skating and watched this beautiful sport. Since this winter I decided to regularly practice all sorts of figure skating training/warm ups, because just now I realized how much I love figure skating!! I have to say that I suffer from juvenile idiopathic arthritis, so I cannot afford my knee articulation in warm up, and I decided to exclude exercises that are too heavy for my knees. But, except for this, my workouts are going very well. I started to jump single Toe Loop and single Axel, and I almost landed double Toe Loop, but my illness didn't allow me to continue with jumps… so I aimed everything at workouts except jumps. I really want to get very good figure skating skills on ice!!
Now comes the point, where I really need some advice:
I plan to start skating as a self-taught in order to get a very good level of skating (basics skills, spins, twizzles ecc), everything but jumps, but I don't know what kind of skates I should need for. I mean, I have an idea of some good pairs of skates, since I have read a lot on your forum and elsewhere, and I think that I focused on three/four kind of skates, that are:
- Edea Overture
- Risport Electra
- Risport RF 3 Pro
- Risport Royal Pro

Now, here comes the problem.. I mean, making the point, what I'm looking for is:
- A good pair of skates for beginners that will lead me surely to a good figure skating level (but no jumps)
- A very good reinforcement at the ankle so to protect my legs in general (since my illness)

I have read that Edea Overture has a stiffness of 45-48, and the same for Risport Electra. I've also read that Risport RF 3 Pro is perfect for beginners who have problems with their ankles and joints in general, and that it has a stiffness of 60. I know, instead, that Royal Pro is for advanced level and has 65 as stiffness. I surely will try all of these skates in store, but I think I'm more inclined to RF 3 Pro.
The problem is that I don't know if RF 3 Pro should be the right choice because on the Risport instructions I've read that they are more indicated for those who practise a lot of jumps (even triple jumps) since the strong collar of the boot, instead of Royal Pro, that, even if It has a stiffness of 65, has a softer grip at the ankle having its typical "banana shape".
As you can see, I'm just "a little" confused!!! I think that a strong stiffness like 60 would be optimal in order to protect my ankles, but now that I read that they are, maybe, really too strong… I don't know!
So, what would you recommend for my situation? Should I opt for Risport RF 3 Pro? I've read that they are really good skates.. or should I choose skates like Edea Overture instead? Considering my complex situation, will it be a good idea to start with Royal Pro?
Please, I will appreciate your recommendations a loooooot!!!! Thank you!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! I'm enjoying your forum a lot!

I really need some advice!! But first I will explain my complex situation. I'm an Italian girl, 20 years old, and I always loved figure skating and watched this beautiful sport. Since this winter I decided to regularly practice all sorts of figure skating training/warm ups, because just now I realized how much I love figure skating!! I have to say that I suffer from juvenile idiopathic arthritis, so I cannot afford my knee articulation in warm up, and I decided to exclude exercises that are too heavy for my knees. But, except for this, my workouts are going very well. I started to jump single Toe Loop and single Axel, and I almost landed double Toe Loop, but my illness didn't allow me to continue with jumps… so I aimed everything at workouts except jumps. I really want to get very good figure skating skills on ice!!
Now comes the point, where I really need some advice:
I plan to start skating as a self-taught in order to get a very good level of skating (basics skills, spins, twizzles ecc), everything but jumps, but I don't know what kind of skates I should need for. I mean, I have an idea of some good pairs of skates, since I have read a lot on your forum and elsewhere, and I think that I focused on three/four kind of skates, that are:
- Edea Overture
- Risport Electra
- Risport RF 3 Pro
- Risport Royal Pro

Now, here comes the problem.. I mean, making the point, what I'm looking for is:
- A good pair of skates for beginners that will lead me surely to a good figure skating level (but no jumps)
- A very good reinforcement at the ankle so to protect my legs in general (since my illness)

I have read that Edea Overture has a stiffness of 45-48, and the same for Risport Electra. I've also read that Risport RF 3 Pro is perfect for beginners who have problems with their ankles and joints in general, and that it has a stiffness of 60. I know, instead, that Royal Pro is for advanced level and has 65 as stiffness. I surely will try all of these skates in store, but I think I'm more inclined to RF 3 Pro.
The problem is that I don't know if RF 3 Pro should be the right choice because on the Risport instructions I've read that they are more indicated for those who practise a lot of jumps (even triple jumps) since the strong collar of the boot, instead of Royal Pro, that, even if It has a stiffness of 65, has a softer grip at the ankle having its typical "banana shape".
As you can see, I'm just "a little" confused!!! I think that a strong stiffness like 60 would be optimal in order to protect my ankles, but now that I read that they are, maybe, really too strong… I don't know!
So, what would you recommend for my situation? Should I opt for Risport RF 3 Pro? I've read that they are really good skates.. or should I choose skates like Edea Overture instead? Considering my complex situation, will it be a good idea to start with Royal Pro?
Please, I will appreciate your recommendations a loooooot!!!! Thank you!!!
Hi and welcome! I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for our sport, but you seem to have a misunderstanding about how things work in the sport. I/we are here to help though. :)

First of all, it is very important that you have a professional coach. You cannot and should not be teaching yourself much of anything including jumps (especially with skates not rated to jump), you risk injuring yourself and terrible technique.

Secondly, it's not about just choosing what boots/blades you think you want or need. You must see a professional figure skating boot fitter and have them properly measure and trace your feet to see what boots/brands fit you.(this is not something you can do for yourself and it's not like measuring for street shoes). Also, your skill level and height/weight factors in. Also, you may work best with a brand you didn't even mention, it's all about what fits your personal foot shape/size/needs.

Most of the boots you listed would be way above your level and too stiff. I can suggest what to look for when you see a fitter, but you must see a fitter.

Also, I am concerned about your mention of juvenile arthritis, especially in knees. You cannot avoid deep knee bend and pressure on knees in this sport, figure skating relies very much on your knees. Avoiding stretches and exercises and on and off ice avoidance of using knees often is detrimental to skating. You may want to consult your physician regarding this.

Please let me know where you stand with getting a coach, finding a fitter near you (I/we can even help with that), and height/weight/foot style for boot recommendations. :)

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Optimum fit is very important for skating. Even if two different models from different brands have comparable stiffness, it's highly unlikely they will feel the same. I echo lc3Rabbit's suggestion of going for a fitter. Boots are the most crucial equipment (even more than the blade, I'd say), and it's very very important they fit you well. In the worst case scenario, you can make measurements to your own foot, but this can result in wrong measurements and badly fit boots, and a lot of money wasted.

Try to get a fitter who specializes in figure skating boots. Don't go to hockey pro shops unless other figure skaters have specifically recommended them.

Regarding boot stiffness: if you choose a boot that's too stiff, bending your knees will be difficult, which will also make skating difficult. Ankle support is a must, but you may have to compromise here depending on your skill level. Skating boots also are meant to be as snug as possible to your foot, so I'm not sure if there are braces/orthotics slim enough to wear inside the boots, and this is something you'd want to discuss with your physician and the fitter.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love when my information comes out in others future posts. :)

Regarding the stiffness. It's not that a too stiff boot will make it difficult to bend your knees, someone that should be that stiffness of a boot will have literally no problem. It's more that one will injure themselves with too stiff of a boot for their skill level and needs.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
As a sufferer of arthritis, I totally agree with what @Ic3Rabbit says above. It's imperative that you visit a reputable fitter of figure skates in order to make sure that you get the right boots for your feet, level, weight and ambition. You need to be absolutely honest with the fitter about both your arthritis, limitations, capabilities and where you want to go with your skating, plus give them as much feedback as you can about how the boots you try feel. Tell them everything.

And it is absolutely vital that you have a coach for learning to skate, even if you start with group lessons you'll still have guidance to help prevent injury. Be very careful with what you attempt off ice, too. It's all too easy to get into very bad habits and/or injure yourself.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As a sufferer of arthritis, I totally agree with what @Ic3Rabbit says above. It's imperative that you visit a reputable fitter of figure skates in order to make sure that you get the right boots for your feet, level, weight and ambition. You need to be absolutely honest with the fitter about both your arthritis, limitations, capabilities and where you want to go with your skating, plus give them as much feedback as you can about how the boots you try feel. Tell them everything.

And it is absolutely vital that you have a coach for learning to skate, even if you start with group lessons you'll still have guidance to help prevent injury. Be very careful with what you attempt off ice, too. It's all too easy to get into very bad habits and/or injure yourself.
Every bit of this! And FWIW--I have arthritis FROM skating forever lol

sampaguita

Rinkside
I love when my information comes out in others future posts. :)

Regarding the stiffness. It's not that a too stiff boot will make it difficult to bend your knees, someone that should be that stiffness of a boot will have literally no problem. It's more that one will injure themselves with too stiff of a boot for their skill level and needs.
Is this sarcastic? I did cite you in my answer.

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Hello!
I thank Ic3Rabbit, sampaguita, WednesdayMarch really very much for their precious advices!!! I will surely follow your suggestions!!
I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know about finding a fitter near where I live, near Rome.
I'm 1,59 meters tall and my weight is about 45 kgs. About my foot style, I can say they are a little flat feet, but I don't use braces/orthotics. My ankles go slightly inward.
Now, thanks to you, I have learned much more about figure skating security!!
I'll be here again in skating discussions and follow you with great enthusiasm!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is this sarcastic? I did cite you in my answer.

I think Ic3Rabbit means that she loves how we all learn from each other. (Although I'm in no doubt that she'll correct me if I'm wrong! :laugh: )
WednesdayMarch knows what I'm saying lol! I was expressing that I love that I've taught many people multiple things here about boot fitting and blades, and in return they now know how to help others. That's all, it was not ill intended in any way.

sampaguita

Rinkside
WednesdayMarch knows what I'm saying lol! I was expressing that I love that I've taught many people multiple things here about boot fitting and blades, and in return they now know how to help others. That's all, it was not ill intended in any way.
Ohh glad to know that, that's a relief!

sampaguita

Rinkside
Hello!
I thank Ic3Rabbit, sampaguita, WednesdayMarch really very much for their precious advices!!! I will surely follow your suggestions!!
I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know about finding a fitter near where I live, near Rome.
I'm 1,59 meters tall and my weight is about 45 kgs. About my foot style, I can say they are a little flat feet, but I don't use braces/orthotics. My ankles go slightly inward.
Unfortunately I don't know much about fitters in your area. Whenever I settle in a new place and go to a new rink, I find that asking the coaches/high-level students is the best way to find the best fitters/sharpeners/vendors in the area. Not sure how many people are on goldenskate that are from Europe, but r/FigureSkating on reddit is a good place to ask as well!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Unfortunately I don't know much about fitters in your area. Whenever I settle in a new place and go to a new rink, I find that asking the coaches/high-level students is the best way to find the best fitters/sharpeners/vendors in the area. Not sure how many people are on goldenskate that are from Europe, but r/FigureSkating on reddit is a good place to ask as well!
I can usually give them a good fitter across the globe. ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!
Try Gazza Sport in Rome. You can also try
PALAGHIACCIO DI ROMA MENTANA
Piazzale della Mezzaluna, 1 - 00013 Mentana (RM) - Italy
VAT number 13385441004
Phone number 06 89376007 - 3932145781
Secretariat: [email protected] - Press Office: [email protected]
Facebook : Palaghiaccio Roma - Instagram : Palaghiacciomezzaluna​

The latter has lessons and coaching, they are also represented by multiple Italian champions. If you call they should be able to connect you with a fitter there and even lessons. :) With your description of you feet, and height/weight you should be able to be fit for a Risport Electra with either John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades.

Good luck!

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Thank you very much for your suggestion!!
I found it also very useful to write on Reddit!😃

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Try Gazza Sport in Rome. You can also try
PALAGHIACCIO DI ROMA MENTANA
Piazzale della Mezzaluna, 1 - 00013 Mentana (RM) - Italy
VAT number 13385441004
Phone number 06 89376007 - 3932145781
Secretariat: [email protected] - Press Office: [email protected]
Facebook : Palaghiaccio Roma - Instagram : Palaghiacciomezzaluna​

The latter has lessons and coaching, they are also represented by multiple Italian champions. If you call they should be able to connect you with a fitter there and even lessons. :) With your description of you feet, and height/weight you should be able to be fit for a Risport Electra with either John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades.

Good luck!
Thank you a lot for this information!! 😃 I'm going to get in contact with them and I'm sure I will get very useful advices!!!
Do you think I could also be able to fit for MK Flight blades? I mean, what do you think about these blades?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you a lot for this information!! 😃 I'm going to get in contact with them and I'm sure I will get very useful advices!!!
Do you think I could also be able to fit for MK Flight blades? I mean, what do you think about these blades?
NO! If you are already jumping you do not need a beginner all purpose blade. You need a freestyle blade and the next blade up is MK Pro. Also, again please get a coach.