Larkyn Austman surprises | Golden Skate

Larkyn Austman surprises

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Surprise bronze medalist Larkyn Austman managed a combined score of 169.62 with her determined “Les Misérables” free skate. Austman landed four triples, including her opening triple flip-double toe loop.

More...

“I left a lot of points out there on just tiny little mistakes and brain farts,” Austman admitted, “but I rotated everything. I stood up on everything, and I feel really good about that. I felt like a lot of impending pressure for at least one or two months. The closer I have been getting to this, it has been more and more. You only get four minutes and two minutes (yesterday) to do everything that you need to do and it’s just a lot of pressure.”

Were your surprised?

I was surprised, although we had plenty of warning. Someone even started a thread on GS trying to predict the third place winner, and Austman got quite a few votes over Chartrand. I think Alaine's nerves got the better of her. But good on Larkyn for delivering the goods.

brightphoton

Medalist
I've always liked that other Canadian girl, Alaine, but this one will do.

Also, theze poosts needs moar proofreading. Were your surprised? Almost as surprised as Elladj Baldé's study axels.

tars

Record Breaker
This is mega sensation to me. :shocked:
I've always liked Alaine, she must be completely crushed right now. :scowl:

Scout

Final Flight
Happy for Larkyn and sad for Alaine (and isn't that always the story at nationals in an Olympic year?). I'm not completely surprised, although I was thinking that Alaine would pull through. I thought that the spot was Alaine's to lose.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
It'll be a wonderful experience for Larkyn. I wonder what her chances of making the free skate are?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
It'll be a wonderful experience for Larkyn. I wonder what her chances of making the free skate are?

I wondered about that too yesterday. Her PB in SP is 50.33 (from 2013) and in SC she got a 41.79 (with a fall on downgraded 3F, 3S1T combo and a messy spin). In Sochi the cutoff was at 48.56. The field is different of course, but I would think with a clean skate she could make it, but with her SC skate she most probably wouldn't skate the free program.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yea, I didn’t see this coming at all. I think I even made a crack about it in the Canadian thread last week. I’m just gutted for Alaine. :( But I’m also very excited for Larkyn to have this wonderful opportunity to go to Korea.

I hope she can make the free skate. She doesn’t have much experience on the international circuit, so if she skates decently, this could bode well for her future. :yes: