Looks like confirmation that Meryl/Charlie will go pro (Link Inside) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Looks like confirmation that Meryl/Charlie will go pro (Link Inside)

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yeah, I agree with those who think they are still leaving things open ended and are probably going on a year by year basis (with the next season being off). They've been on such a worldwind lately that it kind of seems like the Olympics win was a long time ago, but being that it was just a handful of months ago, they still have buzz from that alone. And of course DWTS took their fame to another level. But because they were doing DWTS right after the Olympics, they did not completely get to indulge in the after Olympic perks. Now they get to do so, and the perks have most likely increased due to the higher exposure from DWTS. I just hope this also does something for ice dancing and figure skating in general in the U.S. I think Meryl and Charlie could help bring back a bit of popularity if everything is handled well. I have been a fan of theirs for a number of years (I remember them from their first senior year), but I have become a bigger fan now and I am wanting to go back and watch everything of theirs I've missed over the years (I mostly watched what was shown on TV here in the U.S., so I've missed a lot due to lack of coverage).

I would not be shocked if they did decide not to return to competitive competition, but I don't think they will say so until they are absolutely certain. Leaving a possibility of returning is good for their marketing. I remember when Carly Patterson won the gold in the all-around in gymnastics in 2004, she retired not too long afterwards (returned to training briefly, but had a serious injury) and embarked on a singing career. People were saying she didn't capitalize on her gold medal win enough in part because of the way the retirement thing was handled. Retiring so early before the next Olympics might have dried up some opportunities for her. I think Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin (or their agents) learned from that (although they actually were able to launch comebacks, but they left things open when not training).

I don't know how USFSA handles financial incentives and such (especially after the money dispute with Evan Lysacek), but I kind of think they should offer Meryl and Charlie a decent sum to continue competing.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was interesting to me that Meryl & Cheryl excelled in different dances.

Meryl's tangoes were fabulous! :love: Charlie's ok but not memorable.

Meryl's rhumba was smoking! even if the judges didn't like it much. Charlie's was ok

otoh Charlie's jive and jazz were :love: Meryl's jive Ok

Where they both excelled was at foxtrot, quickstep, and contemporary. I suspect waltz would also have been strong for both, but Charlie never got to do one.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I think now that both Meryl and Charlie have experienced the great appreciation of a strong connection during a skate rather than just worrying about edges, that they will stick with professional opportunities. The grind of amateur I would think would not be in their best interest because they would miss out on the thousands, even millions they could earn as professional skaters, maybe dancers and certainly with their sponsors. This may only last a year or two so make hay! I don't think usfsa could match the potential money that's waiting for them. I hope they have a good business strategist/PR person. Staying connected with ice shows, sponsorships etc should let them explore all their talents and potentially make a ton of money. In the big picture this will help skating with all the attention given to them.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Doing shows doesn't necessarily mean they are turning pro. Skaters lose eligibility when they participate in an unsanctioned event, but there aren't too many of those around these days.

It's still possible they are only taking the year off after being so busy for so many months. All we really know is that they're not likely to compete next season.

Going pro would mean losing eligibility by doing unsanctioned events. Basically there is no pro/amateur. Almost everything is allowed when it comes to shows. Doing shows and competing has been around for over a decade. ISU wanted to abolish "going pro". Davis and white are just leaving the physical location of their university- that is true. They are not dropping out of college or becoming exclusive professionals.

I think now that both Meryl and Charlie have experienced the great appreciation of a strong connection during a skate rather than just worrying about edges, that they will stick with professional opportunities. The grind of amateur I would think would not be in their best interest because they would miss out on the thousands, even millions they could earn as professional skaters, maybe dancers and certainly with their sponsors. This may only last a year or two so make hay! I don't think usfsa could match the potential money that's waiting for them. I hope they have a good business strategist/PR person. Staying connected with ice shows, sponsorships etc should let them explore all their talents and potentially make a ton of money. In the big picture this will help skating with all the attention given to them.

They are represented by IMG, which handles a long list of the best-known US figure skaters. Their agent is Hailey Ohnuki, who is listed as an IMG "Olympic clients manager". IMG is big and professional, but we will have to wait and see how ot all turns out.

By the way, if you Google Cantamessa Men, you can check out Maks' jewelry line. (No links to commercial sites are permitted on Golden Skate.) There is already a picture of Maks and Meryl up (click through the pictures) -- she must get some sort of little bonus for them to use her picture, right? ;)

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
They are represented by IMG, which handles a long list of the best-known US figure skaters. Their agent is Hailey Ohnuki, who is listed as an IMG "Olympic clients manager". IMG is big and professional, but we will have to wait and see how ot all turns out.

By the way, if you Google Cantamessa Men, you can check out Maks' jewelry line. (No links to commercial sites are permitted on Golden Skate.) There is already a picture of Maks and Meryl up (click through the pictures) -- she must get some sort of little bonus for them to use her picture, right? ;)

IMG was also recently bought by William Morris, which is huge in entertainment. I think that can also open up more opportunities for them.

KKonas

Medalist
It was interesting to me that Meryl & Cheryl excelled in different dances.

Meryl's tangoes were fabulous! :love: Charlie's ok but not memorable.

Meryl's rhumba was smoking! even if the judges didn't like it much. Charlie's was ok

otoh Charlie's jive and jazz were :love: Meryl's jive Ok

Where they both excelled was at foxtrot, quickstep, and contemporary. I suspect waltz would also have been strong for both, but Charlie never got to do one.

I agree. Meryl was excellent in most of the Latin dances, (except the samba) waltzes and contemporary, but Charlie had issues with the Latin dances but his footwork was fantastic in the jazz, jive, quickstep and would have done well in a waltz. It was fun to watch them dance on the floor and I think this experience will continue their artistic growth on ice.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I definitely dont think Davis & White (or Virtue & Moir) are ever competing as amateurs again, but I also agree with loop that they will probably, and wisely so, give the illusion of still being an active competitor who isnt retired. That is much smarter marketing, and I think that is what we will see from both teams, especialy Davis & White. Shawn and Nastia style (although they did actually compete again which I dont expect of D&W or V&M).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But if it looks like D/W won't return, wouldn't it be a smart idea for V/M to return for one season to win GPF, to fill that hole in their resume? (D/W is missing Jr. Worlds, iirc, but they certainly can't win that anymore :laugh:)

I'm slowly getting used to the idea of a future without these two teams, since it'll be interesting to see what will happen. Worlds gave us a taste of that, and I can't say it was a bad taste (terrible for P/B though :no:). But I'm still holding on to the hope that V/M will return, for one season...

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I definitely dont think Davis & White (or Virtue & Moir) are ever competing as amateurs again, but I also agree with loop that they will probably, and wisely so, give the illusion of still being an active competitor who isnt retired. That is much smarter marketing, and I think that is what we will see from both teams, especialy Davis & White. Shawn and Nastia style (although they did actually compete again which I dont expect of D&W or V&M).

:thumbsup:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I sweated out the Olys, and Meryl and Charlie won, to my joy. Then I sweated out DWTS. I had skipped DWTS for two seasons. The first season had to do as much with lack of opportunity as anything else, but the second one was just that I had lost interest in the show. Then I learned that Meryl and Charlie were going to be on it, and so I didn't want to miss a night of it. I wanted to watch it mostly because of Meryl. She is so splendid that she has always intrigued me. I wanted to see what she could do with regular, non-ice dance. She did not disappoint me at all. In fact, it has been wonderful. I am so glad that she got teamed up with Maks; it made possible the most exciting viewing I have ever encountered on DWTS. I could watch them forever. It was so grueling for Meryl and Charlie, however, especially Meryl, because she was competing even longer than Charlie and what a grind it was! She was doing too much with flying to SOI and back while on the DWTS show. I have been worried about possible damage to her health. At this point, I just want to know that she's okay and what she'll be doing in the near future. Charlie was wonderful in the way he supported her. He has the most delightful temperament, and I think they are two of the nicest people ever in figure skating. I hope to hear many good things about them both in years to come, and I wish them good health and every success.

Newbie here, and I'm here because Davis and White caught my interest in Sochi and I followed them to DWTS. I may be an oddball, but I became as much a fan of Charlie's as Meryl's during the TV show. Meryl is wonderfully talented and her work ethic divine, but I found Charlie's graceful personality equally captivating. (I also loved his dancing and wanted a longer season to see his growth.)

I think they won new fans during the show who are now investigating their ice dance catalog on YT.

You're definitely not an oddball! I think Charlie's great.