Portable sound device for practice at the rink | Golden Skate

Portable sound device for practice at the rink

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hello!

At my rink when we're practicing programs on our own, we usually wear bluetooth earphones or headphones, however due to continuous ear infections I've been advised by the ENT doctor to stop wearing these for a while.
When we have our private coaching sessions and are practicing the program with our coaches, the coach carries a sound device skating near us so we can hear the music, but all of them no exception have VERY crappy devices with very low quality sound (the rink's sound system is only for practices before exhibitions/competitions and for the day of exhibitions/competitions, we can't use it everyday)
I'm quite picky with sound quality, and always enjoy practicing my program with high quality sound, but now that I can't really wear anything in or on my ears, I've been using the coaches crappy CD players and carrying them around too :(

I was wondering what kind of portable sound devices everyone is using?
I have Bose devices around my home and thinking of buying another for the rink, might even make a donation and leave it there for my rink mates and coaches to carry it around when I'm not using it, tired of hearing crappy quality sound around 😂

midori green

On the Ice
Hello!

At my rink when we're practicing programs on our own, we usually wear bluetooth earphones or headphones, however due to continuous ear infections I've been advised by the ENT doctor to stop wearing these for a while.
When we have our private coaching sessions and are practicing the program with our coaches, the coach carries a sound device skating near us so we can hear the music, but all of them no exception have VERY crappy devices with very low quality sound (the rink's sound system is only for practices before exhibitions/competitions and for the day of exhibitions/competitions, we can't use it everyday)
I'm quite picky with sound quality, and always enjoy practicing my program with high quality sound, but now that I can't really wear anything in or on my ears, I've been using the coaches crappy CD players and carrying them around too :(

I was wondering what kind of portable sound devices everyone is using?
I have Bose devices around my home and thinking of buying another for the rink, might even make a donation and leave it there for my rink mates and coaches to carry it around when I'm not using it, tired of hearing crappy quality sound around 😂
There are wearable speakers designed for people riding bikes, etc, where in- or on-ear designs would be dangerous. I've seen clip-on and magnetic versions that might work nicely for skating. I don't know which would have the best sound quality, but maybe that's a direction to look.

midori green

On the Ice
Oh...there are also bone-conduction headphones that go around your ear (not on or in). Shokz is one brand in that category.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
There are wearable speakers designed for people riding bikes, etc, where in- or on-ear designs would be dangerous. I've seen clip-on and magnetic versions that might work nicely for skating. I don't know which would have the best sound quality, but maybe that's a direction to look.

They allow in or on ear devices (earphones and headphones) at our rink. Everyone uses them when practicing programs on our own (I rather not do it during the weekends when it's so crowded since they put everyone together, the rink's regular figure skaters and the public, I don't want a crash, but some wear them during crowds anyways). Or the coaches crappy CD players. They do not allow cellphones and cameras whatsoever on the ice (even the coaches are not allowed to have them, if a skater wants to be videoed, the coach steps off the ice to use the cellphone camera from outside) so we just put our phones in our rink bag as close to the wall as possible to connect bluetooth with the ear device.
Today during practice I asked the rink manager if I could bring a bluetooth speaker that sounds so much better that the crappy CD player to carry around and he said yes, of course, as long as it's not a cellphone, but if it falls and breaks, your responsibility, you pay. We only replace the crappy CD players when they fall and break, and I said OK.

I might try again a bone conductor device (tried once a long time ago to use at the gym and hated the feeling) but I'll definitely buy a nice bluetooth speaker too, especially for my coaching sessions, so the coach listens to the music too.
I was hoping someone had any recommendations, haven't practiced figure skating in another country so I have no idea what people do to practice their programs and if portable speakers are a thing.

IceIceIce

Spectator
A device only in one ear is an important safety rule that they should be following at your rink,

This way the skater has at least one ear free to hear other skaters.

:)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
A device only in one ear is an important safety rule that they should be following at your rink,

This way the skater has at least one ear free to hear other skaters.

:)

I don't own the rink, however I'm sure its rules go accordingly whatever rules the local inspection entity deems safe and appropriate. I rarely go skate in any other rink around here unless I'm presenting, testing or competing there and I've seen the same "no cellphones allowed on the ice" poster that the one I belong to has, so I'd imagine the rules are similar.
It's not up to me to discuss or decide rink's rules, I just wondered if anyone had any particular brand of portable speaker/sound device with high quality sound that they enjoy using.

IceIceIce

Spectator
Hi,

Sorry, didn't mean to sound preachy :-/ I didn't understand the situation well.

Some of our coaches started wearing portable speakers and microphones during COVID so their voices could project better when wearing masks, but the sound quality is not that great. I have a small rechargeable blue tooth speaker that sounds pretty great (Logiix "Blue Piston") so maybe you could find something similar to that. It's not flat though, so finding a place to wear it might be a challenge.

I knew a skater who tried a bone-conduction headset, but had trouble keeping it stable during skating so I don't think she wears it anymore.

Hope you find something that works :)