Returning to the ice after a 4 year break? | Golden Skate

Returning to the ice after a 4 year break?

marykaterose

Spectator
Hi all,

So I started figure skating at 5 years old, picked things back up at 9, and kept skating until I was 14. It wasn't a recreation type deal, I was at the rink 6 days a week for 5-6 hours (I'm homeschooled so skating was my life). I was unfortunately, a total klutz, and took a few 3 month breaks within that time because of injuries. I had almost all my doubles except for flip and lutz, although my double flip was VERY close to being landed clean. I can still do axel, double toe, sal, and loop off ice.

I 'quit' when I was 14 because my parents simply couldn't afford it anymore. There is absolutely nothing I miss more, I tell everyone that skating to me, is like the boy who got away. (Drama queen much.. ha ha) I've missed skating so much that went through a period where I couldn't even BE in an ice rink or watch skating on tv, it absolutely killed me.

4 years later, I have to go back. I miss it so much and I don't want to have any regrets. I went to the rink a few times last year and was able to do all my singles with no problem, spinning was no problem, my balance on the ice was super easy to restore.

I just want to jump again. I'm about to go to into college next year and my ultimate plan scholastically is medical school, so I know I will never be able to be competitive again. I just want to be able to jump and spin and get my doubles back, maybe start working on flip and lutz if possible.

Its important to mention that I am 5'9, so freakishly tall for a figure skater (; before I quit, everyone called me legs. Its a problem. Will that give me an even harder time getting back on the ice?

I'm going to the rink tomorrow, and am just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to get skating again, after a pretty lengthy break like mine. I'm not an athlete anymore, I can run 5 miles no problem but thats the extent of my athleticism (; I think I've just never been able to dedicate myself to anything like I did with skating.

anyways, if anyone could offer me any advice or insight into what its like trying to get skating CONSISTENTLY again, that would be so helpful. Also, any tips to get my strength and endurance back? I lost all my muscle and suffered with anorexia/bulimia and am still dealing with the aftermath of that, so my heart isn't the strongest but I am absolutely willing to do everything I can to be health and strong again.

thank you so much!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First - 5'9" is not freakishly tall for a skater. I would stand eye to eye with you.

Second - after a break? I was older than you when I started from scratch. That is why there are adult competitions, adult tests, adult classes. You have an advantage. You have some background.

Third - why not competition? I mean, medical degrees are crazy hard work, but collegiates are a thing in the US for before the workload gets massively heavy. And after college, you could always compete adult.

Fourth - and most important - please consult with a medical professional before starting back training. Heart issues are not to be taken lightly. I would also consult with the mental health professional you are working with about your anorexia/bulimia to make sure that you are psychologically ready to go back.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I know several really successful adult skaters--just ease back into it and go from there. The most important thing is to take care of yourself. The skating skills will come back with time. And yay for tall skaters--I am 5'8" and having a blast. Enjoy the process!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
There is no reason you can't go back to skating. I skated until I finished high school and then took a 7 year break before starting again as an adult. As long as you love it, you can make it happen. And like Karne and MiraiFan said there are tons of opportunities for adult skaters- in addition to adult nationals there are also 2 international adult competitions.

I understand your concern about time. I work full time as a physical therapist and and currently working on advanced certification which takes up time out of work. But that's what early morning freestyles are for. By skating at 5 am, the rest of the day is open. And I have many friends who are physicians and all of them are very active- it is possible (and important) to make time for activity outside school/work.

Lastly, as Karne said it is really important to check in with your doctor about your eating disorder. I know it's hard, I had an eating disorder in my early 20's and recovery wasn't easy. You can go back to skating and I think it's great you never lost your love of it. But your health and safety have to come first.

Good luck!!!

Last edited: