Russia's Sinitsina and Katsalapov are ready to step it up | Golden Skate

Russia's Sinitsina and Katsalapov are ready to step it up

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year, Russia's Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov were considered top contenders for the Olympic team, however, their season ended abruptly at Russian Nationals in December when Katsalapov suffered an injury to his ankle during the free dance. Now the team is back, determined to fight for top placements, not only in Russia, but also internationally. In fact, the team took gold at their first international event of the season last month at Ondrej Nepela Trophy.

More...

"We really like our programs this year," Sinitsina said. "The free dance is unusual for us. This music is so nice, and when you switch it on in practice, you are at peace. It's calm, delicate, airy and romantic." She admitted that at first, she was skeptical about this choice when Zhulin suggested the music. "Only when we worked on the program, when we started skating it, especially skating big parts and the whole program, then this feeling (for the music) came," the 23-year-old shared.

Katsalapov agreed: "We are very much in love with our programs this season. The music is of that kind that you have to immerge in it. The name is "Air," for us, it is like the flight of two souls. We want that the spectators are captivated when watching it. You don't even need to understand some story when watching this program, but you just watch and you get drawn into it. The basic idea is probably this interweaving."

Love their skating. It was such a shame about their withdraw from Russian Nationals last year and I really liked that Free Dance.

Your thoughts?

Eisfee

On the Ice
Good luck to them!! I believe they will have a great season! Their programs are very good this year! And they seem to be a team on the same level for the first time since their pairing. A hopeful sign!

lavoix

Match Penalty
Good luck to them!! I believe they will have a great season! Their programs are very good this year! And they seem to be a team on the same level for the first time since their pairing. A hopeful sign!

Agreed, they are the pair to watch out for this season. I think they are also the strongest in Russia at the moment.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think the judges really like them and want to give them the marks when they hit it. So given both stay healthy/injury-free, they could be a possible podium-threat. I'm no expert in ice dance by any stretch of the imagination, but Sinitsina's skating seems visibly improved compared to previous seasons and Katsalapov's partnering skills seems better as well.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Should be pretty clear sailing for them to make the Russian team, right? S/B first then Tiffani and Johnathon and then S/K? Or will S/K be head of Tiffani and Johnathon?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Should be pretty clear sailing for them to make the Russian team, right? S/B first then Tiffani and Johnathon and then S/K? Or will S/K be head of Tiffani and Johnathon?

The Russians only have 2 spots at Worlds, so it could tough. They have 3 at Euros though. S/K seem strong so far, and we haven't seen Z/G so fa, so hard to rank them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The Russians only have 2 spots at Worlds, so it could tough. They have 3 at Euros though. S/K seem strong so far, and we haven't seen Z/G so fa, so hard to rank them.

Thanks SnowWhite.

I sort of, rather vaguely, remember that S/K had a big problem at Russian nationals and that is why Z/G were 3rd and they were 4th? I guess we will see during the GP where the international judges see them in relation to each other.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks SnowWhite.

I sort of, rather vaguely, remember that S/K had a big problem at Russian nationals and that is why Z/G were 3rd and they were 4th? I guess we will see during the GP where the international judges see them in relation to each other.

This past nationals, Nikita got injured during their FS and they had to withdraw.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looked like he inured his ankle during a straight-line lift in the FD. It wasn't a good entrance into it and he was compensating for his partners weight at a weird angle....his face didn't show the pain that time, but he stopped right after. If you also go to the end of the video, they show a slo-mo of the element. They commentators talk about it but I don't understand Russian.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

They look strong so far - on par with Weapo which are current world bronze medallists. But I still miss I and K - I just want to cry. Such potential and beauty.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They really need to up their levels. They're being held up by overinflated GOEs at this point. And it's still very early days. Ice dance ALWAYS comes down to levels.

But I will say these are the two best programs they've had as a team.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
They really need to up their levels. They're being held up by overinflated GOEs at this point. And it's still very early days. Ice dance ALWAYS comes down to levels.

But I will say these are the two best programs they've had as a team.

I agree - and I've got somehow a new appreciation for them, their performance abilities after seeing them live at Nepela. Yes, I often had my heart in throat as for their lifts, but when they are on, they can be pretty spectacular to watch. They are making a stunning site to look at - he's very handsome, she's that Russian ballerina beauty. I think that their RD is very good - it may be on that more stereotypical side (and I wish for some colour there, Viktoria's dress in burgundy or other deep colour), but it is very effectively going with their 'drama' flair, nicely presenting their long lines and chemistry between them. Bach's FD I definitely dig more than last year's Rachmaninoff - the first part does really good job of 'slowing' Nikita's movement being too abrupt and forceful sometimes. All the best to them, I've got flag signed by them and they were happy to hear that I like their programs and their performance are sound:)

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
It would be interesting to see how S/B, Z/G and S/K compare this season. Russia has no clear #1 at this point.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I like this. I have a lot of favourites in Ice-Dance (with P/C topping the list), but I would really enjoy it if it's not just Canadians, Americans and French going for the top spots now the Italians have (presumably) retired. It would be great to see a Russian couple once again being there fighting for the medals. But then, I like B/S too, and they're also getting close...going to be an interesting season.

pandatours

On the Ice
I prefer S/B but I absolutely love Victoria and how hard she had to work to match Nikita when he doesn’t seem to appreciate it most of the time. She doesn’t have the drama and confidence that Elena did but my eye is still drawn to her when they skate

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm really loving this team this year. They've had a lot of critics, but they've stepped it up and are really coming into their own. I like S/B more, but I think they'll give them a run for their money come Nationals. :)

Weathergal

Medalist
This past nationals, Nikita got injured during their FS and they had to withdraw.

Ahah..that's it. I knew it was something.

It looked like he inured his ankle during a straight-line lift in the FD. It wasn't a good entrance into it and he was compensating for his partners weight at a weird angle....his face didn't show the pain that time, but he stopped right after. If you also go to the end of the video, they show a slo-mo of the element. They commentators talk about it but I don't understand Russian.

If I recall correctly, Nikita got injured in warmups but was hoping to get through the performance, but the lift made it worse. Either way, always hard to see skaters not be able to finish a program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just miss Elena so so much. She brought the drama. They were fire and ice and oh so beautiful on and off the ice. I wonder if haslearnedto control his twizzlesandifhe needsto fetbettertechnique and strength for those lifts. If they can up their levels and skate consistently I see them possibly overtaking as Russia no. 1.