Since when did Tarasova have shizuka?? | Golden Skate

Since when did Tarasova have shizuka??

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
First an APOLOGY, you all may have already discussed this till you were blue in the face, but as a dancer and choreographer, I've just spent two months touring in Japan. I speak little Japanese and read even less, and had no time to come on line.

I was **stunned** on my return, to find Tarasova (the woman who was too sick to coach Sasha any longer), coaching Shizuka Arakawa (a skater on the exact same playing field as Sasha), and a Japanese male number 3 skater (can't remember name off top of my head!). I knew about the Russian guy who won juniors.

Now Sasha and Arakawa are training alongside each other on practices and in the warm up for the short program following qualifying. Will Sasha be okay having Tarasova at the boards alongside Wagner????????????????????????????????????????

Best, Lilia

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It just happened th eother day. Maybe a week ago at the most. The only people not stunned by the news are the jaded ones who felt TT was making stuff up all along.

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Arakawa made a very smart move by switching to Tarasova. She has good jumping technique and has been an elite skater since 1998. All she needs are fine tone her presentation and get better spins. Now she is Tarasova's only top lady skater.

I don't think Sasha should affected by this move. She has Robin Wagner who only teaches Sasha herself. Sasha gets complete attention. Plus Sasha and Robin have very good relationship from beginning.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As I have mentioned on another thread, TT did have the intention to go back to Russia. However, upon arriving in Moscow she discovered that no coach wanted to give up his/her/their ice for her. So, she figured she might as well go back to the US; she says it's just until Turin, but we shall see about that. I am not sure how I feel about Arakawa going grom Callaghan to TT. I mean, if TT felt that culture diffirence was too much with Sasha, just imagine what it will be with Shizuka! Besides, TT is yet to produces any tangible results with a lady skater (for the record, I am the bigest TT fan, so this is not a bash). Anyway, we shall wait and see...

According to newspapers reports here in Detroit (Callaghan's base), Callaghan was informed by an email from the Japanese Figure Skating Association that Shizuka was switching to Tarasova. The reports made it sound like Callaghan had no inkling that this was coming, and had no communication from Arakawa herself about it. I don't know whether this is strictly true or not, but this is how it was reported here.

About the reason for the switch, Shizuka was recently quoted as saying that she was hitting everything in practices, but messing up in competition. She thought that the switch would help her toughen up to the challenge of delivering her best stuff when it counted.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Stupid question, but what do they speak together?

I thought that Sasha understood Russian because it's Galina's mother longue. Does Shikuza understand Russian too? I though that TT's English, she wasa not so good, eh?

Someone mentioned that during a soft spell of music in Shikuza QR, TT shouted out something to her. Was it in Russian? Did a translator have to shout out a tranlation? :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:

About the reason for the switch, Shizuka was recently quoted as saying that she was hitting everything in practices, but messing up in competition. She thought that the switch would help her toughen up to the challenge of delivering her best stuff when it counted.

Mathman

wasn't that the reason that Angela Nikodinov gave when she left him way back when?

jesslily

Final Flight
Basically no two international competitors are training under one coach. Most of them like to be the only top skater for the coach. Nobody wants to be sidelined or in the shadow of another skater.
It is very natural that any coach can not give two skaters equal amount of attention.

Isn't it another Japaness elite skater was sent to Richard Callahan?

SK8GR8

Rinkside
berthes ghost said:
Stupid question, but what do they speak together?

I thought that Sasha understood Russian because it's Galina's mother longue. Does Shikuza understand Russian too? I though that TT's English, she wasa not so good, eh?

Someone mentioned that during a soft spell of music in Shikuza QR, TT shouted out something to her. Was it in Russian? Did a translator have to shout out a tranlation? :laugh:

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard the news--how do they communicate?? I didn't think that Shizuka's English was even very good. Maybe she is used to communicating non-verbally.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
jesslily said:
Isn't it another Japaness elite skater was sent to Richard Callahan?
Accoring to Callahan, he will not work with Japanese skaters again because he doesn't like dealing with the Japanese federation (he has no problem with skaters).