Skating With Celebrities - So who won? | Golden Skate

Skating With Celebrities - So who won?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I must have missed the last episode of skating with celebreties. So which team won? Anyone watch the final episode?

Lloyd Eisler and his partner won. Their big move was a one-armed Detroiter.

John Zimmerman's partner fell on an Axel attempt. Everyone gave her props for trying such a difficult element, and John Nicks voted for them to win. But Dorothy Hamill and Mark Lund went the other way.

MM :)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
But the choice of music, oh my! Superfreak by Rick James...In a way somewhat appropriate since lloyd left a wife with 2 kids for Kristy..enough said!

The final episode was last Thursday night, so that 24 would have 2 hours.

I have to go back to the 24 thread..that was the best episode ever!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Oh, the temptation to say "The homewrecker and the deadbeat husband/father..."

Oh, wait, I just did...

I side with Nicks, not just because of the gossip. Honestly, though, I wasn't really surprised it was down to the two female non-skaters paired with male pairs skaters--they had the easiest jobs.

chania36

On the Ice
Is it really true that he left his wife for his skating partner that he met on that show??? Sometimes so many rumors runs around, I just wanted to know if this was a fact...

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update. So now what for the dynamic duo? I somehow can't see Kristy ( hope I got her name correct) taking Isabells place as Lloyd's skating partner. Hardly the same!!!!

Lloyd - I am so disappointed in you.

lotusland

On the Ice
I have no idea what Lloyd's plans are. However, as far as Kristy taking Isabelle's place as Lloyd's skating partner is concerned, Isabelle & Lloyd retired from pro skating sometime last year.

For what its worth, IMHO, the better or right team won the competition. When you look at where each skater was in show #1 and where they finished, Kristy advanced much further than did Jillian. When I watched Jillian & John, she always seemed to be roaring around the ice surface like a wild woman on some kind of a mission, dragging John around behind her. Yes, it was obvious in the first episode Jillian had the most advanced skating skills of all the newbies, however, she did mention a couple of times, "when I used to skate." From her own statements, I would have expected her to be stronger than any of the other celebs. And she was initially. The biggest disappointment in the Jillian & John duo is that the team never did develop any connection or bond between them. To me, Jillian was far too busy being a one woman band to bother learning how to skate as one half of a team, preoccupied with what she could accomplish and how she looked to pay any attention to team dynamics. Kristy on the other hand, went from being a completely insecure unexperienced skater to a real skating partner. I thought Kristy had the greater or more successful learning curve, she developed alot of self-confidence, had the better stroking skills and the better air positions, her spinning improved significantly, and although not as advanced as Jillian (there was no attempt at an Axel), Kristy mastered her entry level jumps. I thought the team developed a very smooth skating style, and presented very well to the audience. I won't comment on the obvious connection ;) that developed through the course of the show. The critical deciding factor for me, was the fact the two skaters actually skated like a real pair team should ... as one.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I have to agree. Darn it!! They stated early in the show that judging would be based on improvement. It just would not have been fair any other way. There's no escaping the fact that Kristy improved the most. (And I tried to escape it every way I could! ;) ) Plus, she and LLoyd were a better team on the ice. Hats off to them for that.

I do have to say that no matter how appropriate it was "Super Freak" sucked as a routine.

Last edited:
I thought that Todd Bridges improved the most. In the one week that he survived, he went from hardly being able to stand up on skates at all to being able to stand up on skates a little.

I was rooting for Tai and Bruce. Bruce improved greatly (he was actually skating on his edges by the end of the show) and Tai got the absolute most out of their performances, even skating off the ice surface and gliding back on when he pushed her too close to the boards.

MM

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
I have to agree. Darn it!! They stated early in the show that judging would be based on improvement. It just would not have been fair any other way. There's no escaping the fact that Kristy improved the most. (And I tried to escape it every way I could! ;) ) Plus, she and LLoyd were a better team on the ice. Hats off to them for that.

I do have to say that no matter how appropriate it was "Super Freak" sucked as a routine.

It would appear that they were a better team OFF the ice as well... :p ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
That depends on how you define better. :p I don't allow "sleaze" in my definition of "better", but there's no accounting for some people's taste or lack of it. ;)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
lotusland said:
I have no idea what Lloyd's plans are. However, as far as Kristy taking Isabelle's place as Lloyd's skating partner is concerned, Isabelle & Lloyd retired from pro skating sometime last year.

For what its worth, IMHO, the better or right team won the competition. When you look at where each skater was in show #1 and where they finished, Kristy advanced much further than did Jillian. When I watched Jillian & John, she always seemed to be roaring around the ice surface like a wild woman on some kind of a mission, dragging John around behind her. Yes, it was obvious in the first episode Jillian had the most advanced skating skills of all the newbies, however, she did mention a couple of times, "when I used to skate." From her own statements, I would have expected her to be stronger than any of the other celebs. And she was initially. The biggest disappointment in the Jillian & John duo is that the team never did develop any connection or bond between them. To me, Jillian was far too busy being a one woman band to bother learning how to skate as one half of a team, preoccupied with what she could accomplish and how she looked to pay any attention to team dynamics. Kristy on the other hand, went from being a completely insecure unexperienced skater to a real skating partner. I thought Kristy had the greater or more successful learning curve, she developed alot of self-confidence, had the better stroking skills and the better air positions, her spinning improved significantly, and although not as advanced as Jillian (there was no attempt at an Axel), Kristy mastered her entry level jumps. I thought the team developed a very smooth skating style, and presented very well to the audience. I won't comment on the obvious connection ;) that developed through the course of the show. The critical deciding factor for me, was the fact the two skaters actually skated like a real pair team should ... as one.

Yes, I am well aware that Lloyd and Isabell ended their careers as one of Canada's best pair teams sometime ago, but it's very strange to see Lloyd skating with someone else. My hat is off to Lloyd for working with raw talent and helping to develop them into an actual pair team. I agree with your statements above. It takes a long time for a team to actually work as one and Lloyd and Kristy pulled it off in a short time. It's unfortunate, their working relationship has developed into somewhat of a soap opera. I wonder what Lloyd is thinking, but then again Lloyd always is true to himself and marches to his own drum. He always let the judges know what he thought when he and Isabell skated competively. He always spoke his mind. That is our Lloyd!!!

Congratulations to Lloyd and Kristy for winning and who knows maybe we will see them again.

Linny

Final Flight
Doubt Lloyd will continue as a skater

He mentioned tendonistis and other physical issues. I doubt he will continue as a skater. Perhaps he'll use this as a spring board to something else?
Linny