Todd Sand recovering after heart attack in Calgary | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Todd Sand recovering after heart attack in Calgary

liv

Record Breaker
From the rink, to the brink, and now home! What a roller coaster Todd has been on. So happy that he's beaten the incredible odds that were probably given at the start, considering the info we have. I wish them the best.

I look forward to Jenni's story, when she's ready to share it.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just came across someone linking to a new Instagram post from Jenni: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxbRVjO...d&ig_rid=1fcc1e26-3df9-443f-ac21-dd63383c34f0

Text of the post:

I am feeling very thankful today as we fly to Seattle to take Jack to the University of Washington.
Todd is with us!

It’s been 6 months since the phone call from Calgary that changed our lives in a way we never imagined.
The night that Todd fought with all he had to stay with us.
He showed the doctors his strength of character when he woke up a few days later, when he stood up, when he walked on your own. His neurologist recently told us that he continues to amaze him. I’m not surprised..Todd has always been strong and determined, soft spoken and kind. He is still all of these things.

Todd suffered a Hypoxic brain injury on March 2nd. He has several areas of damage to his brain.
I’ve never shared this publicly, but I want our story to inspire other families.

There is always hope. God has a plan for us and while we don’t always know what it is we are thankful for our beautiful life. We know we are blessed. Some days we struggle and during those times we have an amazing support system of family and friends.

I’m proud of all of us…Todd, Jack, Matthew and myself. We have learned a lot, been through a lot and we are all so much stronger than we ever knew. One day at a time💜

noskates

Record Breaker
Todd should be a ray of hope to anyone who has suffered a similar injury with a similar outcome. It just goes to show what strength of character and determination AND a little divine luck can do. Kudos to Jenni for her honesty. I hope that Todd continues to improve.

p.s. is anyone else feeling really old that Todd and Jenni have a son in college?:palmf:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I hope he wears an N95 mask while traveling. COVID cases are surging and considering his medical history, he is at high risk for a worse outcome. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if COVID is what triggered his heart attack to begin with. I say this as a HCW who deals primarily with patients who are suffering from terrible post-acute sequelae from covid. If Todd gets re-infected, it could be very bad news.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

macy

Record Breaker

Todd Sand's recovery continues
The LA Times interviewed Jenni recently.

He has some significant problems from the brain injury.due to lack of oxygen.
hoping he continues to heal and can live a normal life one day.

it's true the brain will continue to heal and create new pathways for a year after an injury, so i hope and pray the best for him and his recovery.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks dorispulaski for posting this- as with others, the brain can continue to heal even beyond a year, and hope wherever he ends up, he can continue to have a good quality of life. One of the best things is that he clearly has a strong and supportive network of family and friends.