Totmianina engaged to her coach | Golden Skate

Totmianina engaged to her coach

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original
[SIZE=+2]Skater Totmianina to wed her coach[/SIZE]

Skater Tatiana Totmianina, having won Turin Olympics in pair skating with her partner Maxim Marinin, is not losing time after her good bye to the eligible sport. The 24 year old champion decided to marry her coach, the 47 year old Oleg Vasiliev. Vasiliev has long been Tatiana's role model. She was always his fan. Accoring to "Zhizn'" newpaper, Tatiana says that she first saw Oleg on TV when he was skating at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympic with Elena Valova. Later, when Totmianina grew up, fate willed it for her to train with Vasiliev. To be fair, the young skater tried hard to hide her feelings for him, up until he confessed his love for her himself. The pivot point in their relationship was the tragic moment in Tatiana's biography when Maxim Marinin could not hold on to her during a lift, causing her to fall and suffer serious trauma. "It was thanks to Oleg that I came back to this world", admits Tatina. "Oleg was always nearby, and kept telling me that I'm strong, that I'll be able to not only get back to the ice but even win the Olympic medal. As you see, he was right!"

"Girls always have crushes on their coaches", says Tatiana. "I'm neither the first nor the last. Oleg Kimovich is now 47 years old, but you can't tell. He's young in both mind and soul! He's been divorced twice, and is now raising his daughter Katya. We've been long trying to hide our relatinship", says Tanya, "But I no longer see a point in this! We decided to take a vacation in August, a whole month to relax, to figure things out, and to have a wedding. I'll finally change my last name; announcers at all the shows and competitions always complain about how difficult it is to pronounce mine."

Tatiana's partner Maxim Marinin likewise wished the spouses well, and siad that Vasiliev truly courted his chosen one. "He courted her beautifully", says the skater. "Flower bouquet, help with everything. Tanya's mom really like Oleg. He's a regular there - he calls the Totmianins' kitchen the best. Just for fun, I ask them about the wedding. But they're mute on that. They're making it a surprise."

spom rt.km.ru
March 28, 2006

jesslily

Final Flight
It's interesting story. But I wouldn't let my daughter marry a guy twice of her age, and divoced twice.

KBell

Rinkside
jesslily said:
It's interesting story. But I wouldn't let my daughter marry a guy twice of her age, and divoced twice.

Me either and my Dad I'm sure would threaten to lock me in my room until I'm 40 at which time I'd be old enough to marry him! He actually told me that one time when I was about 16!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
thanks for the story, Ptichka

Tanya is a grown woman. Isn't it HER choice to make as who she wants to marry?

Besides, in Russia, the divorce rate is fairly high. Both of my parents have been divorced twice before they marired each other and have been very happy together for a very long time.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. The age difference is not uncommon in other cultures.
I think Irina's husband is much older than she is. Many young women marry men much older than themselves. I would be more concerned about his two failed marriages more than his age.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Interesting development, I can't say I'm surprised. I've noticed several times in the Kiss 'n Cry that there seemed to be more personal warmth between Tatiana and Vasiliev than between Tatiana and her partner. Also, Vasiliev's very close attention to this pair (and his strong antagonism toward rival pairs) also made me wonder if his feelings for Tatiana were more than just professional. I'm sure that over the last few years, Vasiliev provided much-needed support for Tatiana as she was dealing with a foreign language and culture (which she often said she found difficult). Tatiana seems older, more serious than her age would indicate. Maybe this is another link between them. I hope it all works out well for her.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The rumors of their relationship have been flying around for a long time, from a couple of years before "the fall". So it's not like they've only been dating a few months and are now getting married. They've obviously waited until the Olympics were over to make anything public.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Ptichka for the article. For some reason I thought Tatianna was a little older. It's her life to do with what she wants.

Dee

kskalniak

Spectator
Best Wishes to Oleg and Tatiana!

Tatiana is a grown and mature woman. I am very happy for her. Best Wishes to both Tatiana and Oleg. Will they stay in America?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ptichka said:

I didnt say there was any reason to believe he wouldnt, but I wouldnt know for sure is all. Just because he was skating with or coached by each does not mean he had a friendship with either, it could have just been a good business relationship.

elv

Rinkside
I didnt say there was any reason to believe he wouldnt, but I wouldnt know for sure is all. Just because he was skating with or coached by each does not mean he had a friendship with either, it could have just been a good business relationship.
Do you know that Tatiana's mother is a godmother of Maxim? He always will be a part of Tatiana's family. All they are: Maxim parents, Tatiana's mother, Maxim, his girlfriend, Tatiana and Oleg are a very good friends. They support each other all time. I can't imagine even the situation when Max would be uninvited to Tatiana's wedding. I think it is impossible.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
jesslily said:

A 24 year old is an adult and entitled to do whatever s/he wants, unless you live in a country where parental permission is required in order to marry then i'm not sure there's amuch you could do about it.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:

Why would you think that?

Ant