Transferring tests | Golden Skate

Transferring tests

Elija

On the Ice
Hi! Just wondering if anyone here has experience transferring tests they took in other countries to the US? I currently live in Australia and am working through tests here, but will likely be living in the US next year for a bit, and was hoping to transfer the tests I have done here so that I can keep working through the tests in the US (I will do the adult tests there, however there is no adult test track in Australia). It seems from the USFS website this is technically possible, but not sure how easy it is to do in practice. I am not American, so not sure if that matters? I think I would just need a local membership of some kind (club and USFS?), is that right? Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience with this - it's my goal to get through adult gold stroking, but I would hate to have to do all the tests all over again, as they're so expensive!

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Yes, you can request test credit for foreign tests by completing the form here: https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/ForeignTestCredit/index.html

U.S. Figure Skating permits you to crossover from the standard track to the adult track if you are 21+. However, if you do that your U.S. Figure Skating tests may not be able to be transferred back to your home country - you would have to check with them about that.

You would need to have U.S. Figure Skating membership either through a club or direct.

You can also keep the costs down by doing virtual tests, which are typically much less expensive than in-person tests. Once you have a coach here, they can help you with this.

Elija

On the Ice
Yes, you can request test credit for foreign tests by completing the form here: https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/ForeignTestCredit/index.html

U.S. Figure Skating permits you to crossover from the standard track to the adult track if you are 21+. However, if you do that your U.S. Figure Skating tests may not be able to be transferred back to your home country - you would have to check with them about that.

You would need to have U.S. Figure Skating membership either through a club or direct.

You can also keep the costs down by doing virtual tests, which are typically much less expensive than in-person tests. Once you have a coach here, they can help you with this.
Thank you! Virtual tests sound very appealing! I think I would be less nervous. We don’t have that option here. Australia is not actually my home country either, just here for a couple of years. My homes country (NZ) does actually have an adult test track, to make it all more confusing lol. So I think they would transfer the usfs tests. But as long as I get through them all to gold somewhere, I’m not too worried about where. Very excited about the prospect of virtual tests!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I chatted with a US based coach about a similar thing recently (I am currently in Germany), and she told me she’d had international skaters before and they’ve had to retest. But it was a few years ago.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@gkelly Anything here you can assist with? Wasn't sure if you had any info for the OP. :)

Elija

On the Ice
I chatted with a US based coach about a similar thing recently (I am currently in Germany), and she told me she’d had international skaters before and they’ve had to retest. But it was a few years ago.
Oh no! That’s what I worried about. I know they state you can apply to get the credit, but sometimes in practice it doesn’t always work.