Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
A poster in FSuniverse said PW is about sexual appeal but Yuzuru has sexual appeal equal to a slice of bread. Poor Yuzuru! :biggrin:

I remember reading that after watching his Olympic individual SP Kristi Yamaguchi twittered something like little Hanyu is now all grown up! :) And he did get so many fans after that performance so he must have been doing something right.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
One of comments below the clip:

True sexual appeal equal to a slice of bread. :biggrin: Lol! But I prefer the kid as he is right now. He might get taller but not much, 1m75 might be maximum.

I think Yuzuru will cry if he reads this comments, I have this idea that where ever he goes people gives him food... :laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
He already performed it and it was Scriabin SP , a masterpiece music and a masterpiece choreo/program with crazy difficult and brand new transitions for a 16 yo teen skater ( watch the insane counter 3A - now something very normal for Yuzu - and the beautiful rotational movement immediately after the 3a and then the spin) . Pure class on the ice, much better posture and arms movements then the last season... If Yuzu had only the chance to develop that artistry...:rolleye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8C6Wnlcf7c

I respectfully disagree. I think Yuz' level of posture, line, and extension was not refined enough to pull that program off. I understand that I'm really nitpicking here, but for a skater of Yuz' caliber, you have to nitpick for him to improve. His emotional expression was not there either. If the standard for the classical style is John Curry, any deviation from that standard is telling. While the content was there, it wasn't his most memorable program. Had he the John Curry kind of execution as well as a clean program, he would have been a masterpiece.

Yuz' costume designer has to go too. I loved his PW and Baz Lurhman R&J costumes, but his other costumes were at the level of Urmanov excess.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuz' costume designer has to go too. I loved his PW and Baz Lurhman R&J costumes, but his other costumes were at the level of Urmanov excess.
I guess we can't expect too much from a skater who said Johnny Weir was his favorite. :bang: my only hope for his costumes next season is that Johnny is too busy with his divorce to spend time for a new design. :cry: Fingers cross! Please Yuzuru, please wear something...easy to the eyes next season.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
LOL. As I understand it, Hanyu has a lot to do with the designs himself, regardless of who else gets involved in it.

And what would Hanyu be, without his mad costumes? It's become one of his signatures :-D

Last season's FS costume that is both Romeo AND Juliet... is a Hanyu classic!

BlackPack

Medalist
I guess the consensus splits between the "camp is good" and "camp is bad." Obviously, I fall into the latter.

LOL regarding the hope that Johnny would be too busy to design costumes.

The best costume designer for FS is still Vera Wang, but I would love to see new talent.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Yuz' costume designer has to go too.
well, that might be tricky. as YesWay has already pointed out, the kid himself was reportedly very involved in and specific about the costume design. we might like it or not, but he's the one choosing and wearing it. and what are they gonna do? force him to wear something he doesn't want? ....I'd like to see them try :biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
well, that might be tricky. as YesWay has already pointed out, the kid himself was reportedly very involved in and specific about the costume design. we might like it or not, but he's the one choosing and wearing it. and what are they gonna do? force him to wear something he doesn't want? ....I'd like to see them try :biggrin:

Haha, true. I thought the costumes for PW and RJ2012 were spot on, but I don't know what happened with Scriabin and RJ2014. I think Japanese anime has influenced a lot of the designs. So it's a 50/50 chance of a hit and miss.

JayW

Final Flight
Regarding sex appeal, i feel Yuz is more like an innocent girlish boy, from those Japanese anime. Am I alone here?

BlackPack

Medalist
Regarding sex appeal, i feel Yuz is more like an innocent girlish boy, from those Japanese anime. Am I alone here?

Spot on... androgynous is the word. People forget that androgynous can be very appealing too. It's not salt of the earth sex appeal, but it appeals to both sexes.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

That's right, if he likes those costumes there is nothing we can do :slink: