Broadway Musicals | Golden Skate

Broadway Musicals

Great Thread! I think lots of people have done West Side Story, especially "Tonight." Has anyone skated to Chorus Line? I want Max Aaron to do "I can do that!" :yes:

iceberg

On the Ice
thanks but i dont think they like this thread. T_T

i love west side too!

yuna's les mis was sensational!

but i wonder if Memory from the Cats musical had ever been used in competition. I mean the song is etherial.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Fair Lady - especially with Meryl & Charlie, Sasha ("I Could Have Danced All Night"), I also liked Tara's MFL program from SOI.

The King & I - Maddie Aaron & Max Settledge - this season's free skate

Todd's "Les Mis" medley - 1998 - Olympics, Worlds, Goodwill Games, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (Spamalot) - SOI, "Wilkommen" (Cabaret) - short program

Scott Davis & Max Aaron's West Side Story programs

Sasha's "Don't Rain on My Parade" (Funny Girl)

Paul's "Why God, Why?" (Miss Saigon), This is the Moment (Jekyll & Hyde)

Liz Manley - Jellicle Ball ("Cats")

Michelle's "On My Own" - exhibition

Akiko's - "Fiddler on the Roof"

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Last edited:
Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha has been popular. Trixie Schuba won the 1972 Olympics with it in 1972. :rock:

viennaskater

Medalist
Todd Eldredge did an exhibition skate to "Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar in 1995 Worlds. It was terrific.

I also liked Bourne & Kraatz's Tango to "Cell Block Tango" from Chicago.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge did an exhibition skate to "Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar in 1995 Worlds. It was terrific.

That's right, and ITA! he also skated to "The Glory" from an unlikely subject for a Broadway Musical - "The Civil War." I can't speak for that musical as a whole, but I think his program "The Glory" is brilliant and moving.

Robin Cousins skated to "I'll Cover You" from "Rent" in a wonderful show that came to Philadelphia, PA in 10/98 - Skaters' Tribute to Broadway.

Nancy K. skated to "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked." Loved that one too!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ummm ... no one has mentioned Phantom of the Opera???

ETA:

Maybe because it originated in London, not on Broadway?? Although I think the same is true of some other musicals mentioned in this thread.

BTW, Max Aaron skated to Les Miserables when he won the 2005 U.S. juvenile boy's title.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Has anyone skated to Chorus Line?

Oksana Baiul had a section of "One" in her showtunes medley freeskate that she used in both 1993 and 1994. In the 1995 season Irina Slutskaya used "Dance 10 Looks 3" -- one assumes she was not familiar with the words.

chezzu

On the Ice
Phantom of the Opera. I love how everyone's performing to POTO this year. Yay.
Kidding aside, I really like Miss Saigon when it's used for FS programs.

Hopefully skaters eventually realize that there are a lot more musicals than just POTO/Les Mis/WSS. Hoping to see a RENT program someday!

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Ilinykh/Katsalapov's The Ghost is always a :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCbm9gzl2Q

Pechalat/Bourzat did Cats and Les Mis. (I actually really liked their Les Mis too...)

Weaver/Poje had a Moulin Rouge medley for a free dance few seasons back.

Alissa Czisny had a long to West Side Story.

Haruka Imai's very recent exhibition to Wicked's Defying Gravity is just :love:

Yukari Nakano had an exhibition to Cell Block Tango.

Gracie Gold had an exhibition to All That Jazz. Gracie also had a short program to Hernando's Hideaway from The Pajama Game a few seasons back.

There are more, but this was off the top of my head :)

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Ashley Cain skates to Evita. The music cut is wonderful, the program itself - not so much.
Rather of West End, M-T/M skate to Chess. I want somebody to do a program to Wuthering Heights by Bernard J. Taylor :).
I suppose a German musical would be a great idea. To mention only Elisabeth and Rebecca... :love:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Todd Eldredge 1995 Skate America:

Short program The King and I

Free skate Chess

Or, as my friend attended the event with put it, Two Nights in Bangkok.

However, by the end of the season he had gone back to a different short program and replaced the freeskate with a newer one. Worked for him at Worlds, but I preferred the Chess music.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Has anyone ever skated a competitive program to music from Rent or Wicked? I was pleased to recently see a show program (Imai?) to a song from Wicked, but I don't think I've ever seen a competitive program to music from either musical, which is a shame.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Read post # 9 for reference to Rent. Paul Wylie did an exhibition number to "I Can Do That" circa 1988 & Caryn Kadavy did a beautiful exhibition years ago to "Memory". Kristi & Rudi did an exhibition to a number from "Cats" as well. They were in their teens at the time.