2014-2015 GPF Ladies Free Skate 12/13 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Free Skate 12/13

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ok, just finished watching the ladies free. Everyone on the podium looks so happy! Usually you get the sad silver medalist barely holding back tears, or sometimes the sad bronze medalist because they are a gold contender.
It's one of those rare competitions where all the medallists skated really well and the final placements are indisputable.

beki

Medalist
I only noticed it today, but I'm not the biggest fan of Elena's lutz technique. The way she rocks from the inside to the outside edge at the last minute is perfectly legitimate, but I don't like the look. It looks better to hold a steady edge on the way in. Although hardly any lady manages it, so I don't mean to single her out too much.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I only noticed it today, but I'm not the biggest fan of Elena's lutz technique. The way she rocks from the inside to the outside edge at the last minute is perfectly legitimate, but I don't like the look. It looks better to hold a steady edge on the way in. Although hardly any lady manages it, so I don't mean to single her out too much.

That's the biggest thing about her I noticed today. Her blade seems to shift a bit when she launches or lands jumps. She seems to pull off the jumps, but it just seems that at times she muscles through them. Makes me wonder how it will hold up if (or when?) she experiences a growth spurt.

I like her personality and think she's a good skater and I don't worry that much whether she lands a jump (unlike others), but at the same time, I don't feel like it's "easy" when she lands jumps. I don't know if I'm making sense.....but I'm not sure how to explain it.

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
She also has the same high shoulders as Rika Hongo. I like them both, but it's something they can improve.

Alba

Record Breaker
Anna: I am not the biggest fan of her skating but I felt really bad for her. I'm not even sure why she was so distraught. Yes, she fell and flubbed a few spins but it's not like she had a meltdown. I guess she just really wanted to skate well. I feel sorry for her. Her stock has definitely dropped a bit this season...

I think people tend to forget that this is her first year in seniors, and first GP's+GPF.

Julia: It's like she turns into a completely different skater in the FS. That ease and lightness that she had in the SP was nowhere to be seen. She imploded again. I don't know what's going on with her.

Flip jumps apart, obviously she was nervous there, but kudos to her for trying again the flip after the popped one, just as she did with the second axel in combination and nailed it. I actually like this one very much. I know she doesn't but this was no way a China. She didn't let go, she fought as much as she could.
The program is beautiful.

Maybe she should have taken this season off? Skipped the GP? IDK...I just feel really bad for her too. I didn't care for her new dress...:slink:

Aftewards, maybe skipping the GP's, since she wasn't prepared and now they are trying to catch up.
I din't like the dress too. The one at TEB was beautiful.

creaturelover

On the Ice
That's the biggest thing about her I noticed today. Her blade seems to shift a bit when she launches or lands jumps. She seems to pull off the jumps, but it just seems that at times she muscles through them. Makes me wonder how it will hold up if (or when?) she experiences a growth spurt.

I like her personality and think she's a good skater and I don't worry that much whether she lands a jump (unlike others), but at the same time, I don't feel like it's "easy" when she lands jumps. I don't know if I'm making sense.....but I'm not sure how to explain it.

Liza is 17, I think its safe to say she's stopped growing.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

I think they're talking about Elena Radionova, who's the youngest of the bunch there, she looks like she still has some growing to do

And I agree her jumps don't look effortless, they seem so hard on her and she comes off a bit laboured, somehow she's still managing to land them but if she grows more I might worry

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I was talking about Elena.

Actually I must have edited it or didn't write it down, but I think Liza has really excellent technique and that's how she's managed to bounce back. Her jumps look huge and easy to me. They don't look forced. Actually when Leonova does well, her jumps look quite nice as well (especially the 3T-3T). Yulia is a question mark still for me (though I feel like she's making an effort) as Elena. I feel like the junior Russian girls are too young to make much of a judgement.

When has a skate has good technique, I feel like their jumps look effortless, lovely. I feel that way about Yuna Kim. I feel that way about Mao, aside from the 3Z. And while people didn't like Miki's artistry, you had to appreciate her solid jump technique; again it's what made her do relatively well despite GIVING BIRTH!

Alba

Record Breaker
Yulia is a question mark still for me (though I feel like she's making an effort) as Elena. I feel like the junior Russian girls are too young to make much of a judgement.

Yulia's jumps are no way similar to Elena's, in all honesty. Not because I'm her fan, besides I like Elena a lot, but when Yulia hits the jumps are effortless and easy, light.
They might not be big, but there is no stiffness there. She has a good running edge, no hesitation, no preparation, good body position.

flying camel

Medalist
I checked the result page and could not believe my eyes. Ashley in third. I said this can't be right. But miracles do happen. I did not think she had that skate in her. She was just determined. You could see her fighting to keep from double footing those jumps. She may have to keep skating up until she is thirty. Nobody else from the US is doing anything.

I agree what people are saying about Anna. She appeared to be ill at the end of her program. What was going on with her hair. It was tied up in a bad knot. She needs to learn how to act. That was just too much drama in the Kiss and Cry. She is not the first skater to fall.

You have got to love Liza. She looked so happy in the medal ceremony. She has truly worked hard.

peg

Medalist
Yulia's jumps are no way similar to Elena's, in all honesty. Not because I'm her fan, besides I like Elena a lot, but when Yulia hits the jumps are effortless and easy, light.
They might not be big, but there is no stiffness there. She has a good running edge, no hesitation, no preparation, good body position.
I agree. Elena's jumps are often jerky. Julia's are much smoother, even though they're on the small side.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Actually I must have edited it or didn't write it down, but I think Liza has really excellent technique and that's how she's managed to bounce back. Her jumps look huge and easy to me. They don't look forced.

That's what frustrates me the most. She has great jumping technique, but Mishin (probably not just him) never bother developing the rest of her arsenal. What is with that LAZY choreography? I'm not even talking about those silly blow-kisses... I'm actually fine with those if there's anything else choreographically in the program. All her choreography moves are between elbow and fingernail, with an occasional head tilt.

Whoever said she's like a female Plushenko is spot on. I'm not sure if that's just a by-product of being a student of Mishin. Can't even call him a bad coach, since his 31yo student can land quads with a bad back. But seems like he's all about jumps 90%, and everything else gets 10% of attention and training time. Liza's sit spin isn't as low as it could be, and her Biellmann is very slow. Just like Plush's.

Years ago, I remember watching a fluff piece about the all the extra off-ice training skaters do. Can't remember exactly who the fluff piece is on, probably Sasha Cohen & Naomi Nari Nam. Or maybe it was on Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. Either way. The piece shows skaters get ballet training, not because they wanted to be change professions, but it's for them to learn/practice lines, carriage, posture etc. Not just arms and feet, but back and even neck too!

If only Liza has someone to work with her on these "other" stuff, give her great choreography to pair with her crazy good jumps... she would stomp the field left, right, and center!

Meoima

Match Penalty
If only Liza has someone to work with her on these "other" stuff, give her great choreography to pair with her crazy good jumps... she would stomp the field left, right, and center!
Well, give Liza some time, she has just come back from the previous disastrous season, being written down by her own fed, lack time to train, lack the reputation... her programs work for her right now. It's a step by step progress. She is just 17 year old, not 27.
And IIRC Lambiel once choreographed for Liza in the past. Mishin might invite Lambiel again, who knows.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree. Elena's jumps are often jerky. Julia's are much smoother, even though they're on the small side.

Yes, although they are higher this season, but jumps are not only about height.
I loved Slutskaya's jumps for their height an power, when she hit them. I hated Buturskaya's because she was so stiff. I loved Kwan's jumps, although they were not as big as Irina's.
Carolina had beautiful technique and speed in her jumps but I hated that long preparation.
I think the only one I could call a perfect jumper was Yuna.

peg

Medalist
Yes, although they are higher this season, but jumps are not only about height.
I loved Slutskaya's jumps for their height an power, when she hit them. I hated Buturskaya's because she was so stiff. I loved Kwan's jumps, although they were not as big as Irina's.
Carolina had beautiful technique and speed in her jumps but I hated that long preparation.
I think the only one I could call a perfect jumper was Yuna.

I hated Carolina's telegraphing of jumps too. And yes, Yuna had gorgeous jumps. I also always liked Joannie Rochette's jumps. A lot of power and flow. Personally, I'm a bit biased toward big jumps with lots of flow. And a good balance of height and distance.

Last edited:

creaturelover

On the Ice
I think they're talking about Elena Radionova, who's the youngest of the bunch there, she looks like she still has some growing to do

And I agree her jumps don't look effortless, they seem so hard on her and she comes off a bit laboured, somehow she's still managing to land them but if she grows more I might worry

Whoops, my bad, haha

adelia

Record Breaker
That's what frustrates me the most. She has great jumping technique, but Mishin (probably not just him) never bother developing the rest of her arsenal. What is with that LAZY choreography? I'm not even talking about those silly blow-kisses... I'm actually fine with those if there's anything else choreographically in the program. All her choreography moves are between elbow and fingernail, with an occasional head tilt.

Whoever said she's like a female Plushenko is spot on. I'm not sure if that's just a by-product of being a student of Mishin. Can't even call him a bad coach, since his 31yo student can land quads with a bad back. But seems like he's all about jumps 90%, and everything else gets 10% of attention and training time. Liza's sit spin isn't as low as it could be, and her Biellmann is very slow. Just like Plush's.

Years ago, I remember watching a fluff piece about the all the extra off-ice training skaters do. Can't remember exactly who the fluff piece is on, probably Sasha Cohen & Naomi Nari Nam. Or maybe it was on Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. Either way. The piece shows skaters get ballet training, not because they wanted to be change professions, but it's for them to learn/practice lines, carriage, posture etc. Not just arms and feet, but back and even neck too!

"Lazy choreography" is YOUR opinion, not everyone's. I like Liza's presentation and so do many others. And btw, yes she does get ballet training. All of Mishin's students do.