2014-2015 GPF Ladies Free Skate 12/13 | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Free Skate 12/13

tulosai

Record Breaker
Anna's coach looks always like that. It's also perhaps a cultural thing, not everyone has Canadian smiles readily available?

I don't think so. While I'd say most of the Russian coaches are not SUPER expressive/excitable, not one of them looks like that, and most of them seem to be at least trying to be sympathetic/encouraging... and most of them actually do smile if a skate is pretty good, not just if it's 110% clean.

starlight97

Final Flight
Anna's coach looks always like that. It's also perhaps a cultural thing, not everyone has Canadian smiles readily available?

I am not Russian so I can not judge this aspect 100%.
But I do see that none of the other coaches act like that.
Not Elena's not Elizaveta's not Yulia's/Serafima's/Evgenia's and definitely not Adelina's/Maxim's.
In the beginning I used to think that Eteri Tudberitze looked a bit cold and strict but. ...I was wrong there:slink:

I don't wanna read too much into this but many will agree that this behavior, both hers and her coach's, were very ominous today.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It was nice to see Ashley skate well but the tech caller was very lenient. The 3T in combo was < as usual and the 3S was <<. Even that 2T at the end of the 2A was <. She pre-rotates those jump so much. They haven't left her enough time at the end of the program either. She can't keep having rushed endings. Overall - good performance quality, but it's too bad she keeps not having the correct vehicles.

Tuktamysheva gave her career best performance. Really great! A pleasure to see how see has matured and I'm shocked at how she has risen to the top this season.

Radionova continues to be a fighter with tons of energy and talent, but her movements are too unrefined still. Nice costume improvement.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I've only watched Julia's program and I doubt I'll watch more. I am sad for her, but I think it is not as bad as it looks. She did very well both 3Lz3T and second period 2A 3T 2T. Apparently she was still digesting her 3F problem form the short. The fall from the 2A, in the beginning did not help her at all and look just unfortunate. Apparently she was on and off as if as if her mind couldn't focus for a long time. Yes, I think her mind played tricks on her. Hopefully, she recovers and has a good skate at the Nationals. Unfortunately, mind is difficult to cure...
I only managed to see online the men and dance. I am happy for Voronov, Fernandez and Hanyu. They were great. Happy for Weaver/Poje and I loved their program.

emma

Record Breaker
I don't have a thing to add to this thread that hasn't already been said, although it is worth saying it was fun to read and so many positive posts!

Heartfelt congrats to the medalists - it is amazing watching Tuktamysheva this year! And Anna and Yulia certainly had some heart break today, but my goodness do they have a lot of skills/abilities. Just hope they bounce back strong! Wow, wow, wow and wow on Ashley. Way to bounce back from a bad short and up the ante in your LP! And deliver! Wow. (only little hope is that this isn't a case of - like US nationals in 2010 sort of, where with 'nothing left to loose' she nails it. Meaning I hope we get a great Short and Long from her at Nationals so she makes the World team and then nails it again there!).

Must give a huge applause to the Spanish audience or the audience in Barcelona. Talking about supportive and fun!!!! wonderful.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I completely missed the competition today! :bang: Anyway, thanks to everyone who provided pbp it's been an enjoyable read!

I am THRILLED for Elizaveta! I wanted her so much to win - and she did! Go Liza! :rock::cheer:

I knew Elena would do great in the FS and hang on to the podium. Good job Elena!

So many seemed to doubt that Ashley had a chance at the podium - including yours truly! She may have had some help with mistakes by Yulia and Anna but great job by Wagner to pull up to 3rd!

Yikes Yulia! She seems to be in a slump when it comes to the FS. It will be interesting to watch videos later and see what went wrong.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just watched the Ladies (even though I checked the results earlier) Thrilled for my girl Liza, she rocked that program and she was
determined this time not to come in second. She really has matured into a lovely skater and her jumps imo are the best in the business.

Elena is just so vivacious and has so much charisma and talent. She really is special for one so young. I can't help myself I have
to root for her.

Beautifully skated program from Ashley and she upped her TES as she said she would. So happy for her that she won the Bronze!

Congrats to the Medalists, well done Ladies!

Noolan

On the Ice
It's also perhaps a cultural thing, not everyone has Canadian smiles readily available?
I'm Russian and it looks really weird to me. I don't know what's up with her :frown: And I feel so sorry for Anna, she really did look like she was about to collapse or throw up or something.

lavender

Record Breaker

I agree. I think that just seems to be who she is in a competition setting (good or bad). She's not like TT who gave you those hugs or showed excitement.

Last edited:

amc987

On the Ice
So happy for Ashley! That 3F-3T was the best one I've ever seen her do. And the rest of her jumps, minus the 3S, were rotated. I think she might've even been low balled in PCS compared to Tuktamysheva and Radionova. If she skates like that more consistently, she can definitely compete at the world level.

Congrats to Tuktamysheva and Radionova as well. I think both were a bit over scored on PCS, but Liza's jump technique is really excellent and Elena has great spins. Russian nationals should be quite the event!

Alba

Record Breaker
I completely missed the competition today! :bang:

Me too. Missed the pairs and ladies. I thought they were tonight. :hopelessness:

Yikes Yulia! She seems to be in a slump when it comes to the FS. It will be interesting to watch videos later and see what went wrong.

The flip, she faced it with fear. After the call in the short, maybe it was better to put two lutzes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: proof that if you base technique is good, the puberty monster is but a blip on the road to claiming your crown as QUEEN OF SKATING.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I completely missed the competition today! :bang: Anyway, thanks to everyone who provided pbp it's been an enjoyable read!

I spaced it and forgot it was on too! But you can watch the entire replay on this site. No commentary, but everything is there and well categorized. Click on the "Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance" link under Playlists.

Listening to the BESP guys is more fun and exciting though, but better than nothing I guess.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Me too. Missed the pairs and ladies. I thought they were tonight. :hopelessness:

The flip, she faced it with fear. After the call in the short, maybe it was better to put two lutzes.

Same here! I watched every day faithfully but today I had a brain freeze or something! :drama:

Super happy for Liza and Ashley. This is why you don't listen to people when they tell you to quit.

OT but I'm hoping Mirai is taking notes..:slink:

Definitely not, is what I would guess. Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Radionova are too strong.

I love Adelina but she hasn't competed at all this GP season and there is absolutely no way of knowing where she is at or where she will be in her skating come selection for the Worlds team.

I highly doubt she will be fit in time. The cast on her foot came off not long ago. Russian Worlds team will be Liza, Elena and Yulia. Bad performance by Yulia today but Anna is having a real mental breakdown.

I think Leonova has a chance at the Worlds team too - especially as Yulia is looking so vulnerable lately.

Who knows, if Lip and Pogo implode at Nats and Sotnikova's out, there's still Leonova...

To my mind Ashley cemented her position as US#1 over Gracie today.

Ashley did better than Gracie at the GP last year - and Gracie still beat her at Nationals. We'll see how it goes. Ashley hasn't done too great at Nationals the last couple of years.

Rus Fed will not send her to Worlds. It's not going to happen.

Why not? They sent her in 2012 where Alena won silver at Worlds. If Anna and Yulia continue to be inconsistent it can certainly happen.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Amazing skating from the ladies earlier today.

Liza T: She placed 10th on the GP last year...this year she claims the title. I'm so impressed with her and so proud of what she's accomplished this season. She's inspiration to any other skater who struggles to find their footing. This time last year, people were saying she was finished and had no shot and should retire...now look at her! GPF champ and a favorite to win worlds! Rock on you Russian diva, you. :cheer:

Elena: I adore Elena. She's just a beast this season. She knocked her FS out of the park for the 4th time in a row! That's incredible! I love the new dress and I was so happy to see her nail that program and win her first GPF medal. That girl is a star. ;) Right now it looks like the battle for the Russian national title, Euro title and worlds is between her and Liza T.

Ashley: I am beyond impressed with Ashley. I really didn't think there was a chance she'd pull it off but she did. That 3F-3T was wonderful and the 3L-1L-3S will be a great combo for her once she gets it around. I'll say it now...I think she's going to reclaim her national title this year. She's had her issues at nationals the past two years but remember, that was when she was defending her title. Now that she's fighting to get the title, I think we'll see a stronger and much more determined Ashley at nationals this year.:cheer2:

Anna: I am not the biggest fan of her skating but I felt really bad for her. I'm not even sure why she was so distraught. Yes, she fell and flubbed a few spins but it's not like she had a meltdown. I guess she just really wanted to skate well. I feel sorry for her. Her stock has definitely dropped a bit this season...

Julia: It's like she turns into a completely different skater in the FS. That ease and lightness that she had in the SP was nowhere to be seen. She imploded again. I don't know what's going on with her. Maybe she should have taken this season off? Skipped the GP? IDK...I just feel really bad for her too. I didn't care for her new dress...:slink:

Rika: Rika had a solid FS and a solid competition all around. She still has things to work on but her performing so well on this big stage was a major step in the right direction for her and should help her international cred as the season progresses.

WOO! Great competition! :dance:

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Ok, just finished watching the ladies free. Everyone on the podium looks so happy! Usually you get the sad silver medalist barely holding back tears, or sometimes the sad bronze medalist because they are a gold contender.

The most darling moment is when they replay slow-mo parts of Lena's program while she wait for her scores... and she was all BIG SMILES during her Beillmann. Yes, her skating is kinda rough around the edges, but I just can't help but love her exuberant attitude! :yay: