Have you ever thrown gifts for skaters on ice before? | Golden Skate

Have you ever thrown gifts for skaters on ice before?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We know when we watch skating competitions, after a skater finishes a program, some fans will throw gifts onto the ice for the skater.

I wondering, have any of you done that before?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, some beanie babies and other little stuffed animals plus pictures in an envelope of the skaters from previous competitions.

mommytoljf

Rinkside
Yes, I have given flowers. I got a hug of thanks from Elvis Stojko at a competition several years ago.

noskates

Record Breaker
No. I think standing at the side with flowers or something is acceptable but I think throwing stuff on the ice can be hazardous and takes too much time to clear before the next skater can take the ice. The worst is those horrible Smuckers strawberries. I think Smuckers should be banned from giving them out at competitions.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I was at Skate America this year, I threw socks I knitted onto the ice for Jason Brown. My throw was kind of bad. But it barely made it onto the ice. I put a tag with my name on it but it fell off, but he knew it was from me cause, well first off he follows my twitter and I dmed him earlier that day if he'll keep the socks I made (cause earlier he tweeted that he was going to donate the stuffed animals he received to the Ronald McDonald House) and he replied yes he would. So a few days later I dmed him on twitter asking if he got the socks and he said he got them, he loved them, and thank you.

I threw on the ice after the short program. Glad I didn't do it after the FP was it would have been lost in the tidal wave of stuffed animals that were thrown on the ice :laugh:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Oh my gosh. I'd always get the best seats behind the judges! YES! When Mike Weiss was in his so-married, Annie Mae phase, I made sure I would throw a Tinky Winky purple doll. I have no idea if it is Sesame or Disney, but some religious zealot cried that this silly doll was gay. HAHA. Great memories. I enjoyed throwing my other dolls at the judges heads.... Muriel, you are terrible. lol

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've always wondered how many judges get hit on the head by the stuffies of the people sitting behind them :laugh:

I've never had a chance to throw anything, but an English friend of mine threw a scarf for itty bitty Joshua all the way back at JGP Sheffield 2010. I always wondered if he actually got it and wore it, or if it ended up somewhere else.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Unfortunately not, but only because I've never traveled to a skating event before. But I definitely will bring gifts to 2016 Worlds :cheer:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Haha. I would AIM for the heads of the judges when I sat right behind them!!! It just goes with the game... lol

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Oh my gosh. I'd always get the best seats behind the judges! YES! When Mike Weiss was in his so-married, Annie Mae phase, I made sure I would throw a Tinky Winky purple doll. I have no idea if it is Sesame or Disney, but some religious zealot cried that this silly doll was gay. HAHA. Great memories. I enjoyed throwing my other dolls at the judges heads.... Muriel, you are terrible. lol

I ADORE that movie!

salchowx4

On the Ice
No. Not something I care to do.

I think it's nice to see flowers being thrown. It's a nice visual.

As for all the other stuff people throw, most of it gets donated or worse depending on what the skater wants/has the ability to keep. Of course, money, gift cards, and particularly nice gifts aren't going to be given away to ill patients, LOL. I think most people know how it works, but some of the younger fans might not realize that their favorite skater simply can't keep/travel with everything they've received and thus he or she probably won't be cuddling with their teddy bear.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know people throw presents as a nice gesture, but I have different views. Like I wouldn't throw flowers because they die within a few days. So I throw something that can be kept forever. And I like to knit my gifts because that comes from the heart.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
No. Not something I care to do.

I think it's nice to see flowers being thrown. It's a nice visual.

As for all the other stuff people throw, most of it gets donated or worse depending on what the skater wants/has the ability to keep. Of course, money, gift cards, and particularly nice gifts aren't going to be given away to ill patients, LOL. I think most people know how it works, but some of the younger fans might not realize that their favorite skater simply can't keep/travel with everything they've received and thus he or she probably won't be cuddling with their teddy bear.

I assume most of it gets donated too. But I'm sure some stuffed animals are saved, particularly if they are from a memorable event. For example, I know Yuna said she still has her purple horse/pony toy someone threw her after her James Bond SP at the 2010 Olympics. I bet Denis will keep that one bear someone threw during the GP which had sewn clothes that mirrored his costume. The more special the toy/event, the more likely I think they are to keep it. Yuzuru probably has 10,000 Pooh toys by now, I wonder what percentage he actually still has :laugh:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Once some children (local skaters I think) were allowed to ask Daisuke some questions on TV. One of the girls asked what he did with all his flowers.
Poor Daisuke looked so embarrassed and said something about him not having space in his apartment for all of them. :laugh2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know people throw presents as a nice gesture, but I have different views. Like I wouldn't throw flowers because they die within a few days. So I throw something that can be kept forever. And I like to knit my gifts because that comes from the heart.

Which is very nice - as long as wool doesn't make your skin itch and break out in hives. Good thing I'm not a famous skater :laugh:

Has a skater ever gotten hit by a fan throwing something at them?

That would be a pretty mighty throw, when you consider that the skaters take their bows at centre ice.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Which is very nice - as long as wool doesn't make your skin itch and break out in hives. Good thing I'm not a famous skater :laugh:

That would be a pretty mighty throw, when you consider that the skaters take their bows at centre ice.

Skaters have been hit with flowers intended for the person who skated before them. I think Kevin got hit with a Pooh Bear once coming out onto the ice after Hanyu.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The socks I made for Jason were 100% acrylic.