State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season | Page 19 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I would be floored if Sotnikova ever competed again to be honest. The curse of the Olympic gold medal - too much, too soon for a skater who was probably going to feature as one of the favourites for 2018 with improving maturity and elegance on ice.

NaVi

Medalist
I would be floored if Sotnikova ever competed again to be honest. The curse of the Olympic gold medal - too much, too soon for a skater who was probably going to feature as one of the favourites for 2018 with improving maturity and elegance on ice.

Many are saying this, but I don't think it will turn out this way. I think Adelina will not only be back but will skate as long as she can win medals in the grand prix circuit... maybe the 2022 Olympics. Yulia's poor season(and Liza's good season) creates wider understanding that performance can fluctuate. I think all the strong Russian girls actually takes the pressure off of needing to win everything... and adds a little pressure to skate just to be skating when Russian ladies skating is strong. I think she will learn to ignore the standards set upon her by her haters and just go out and have fun. For the 2018 Olympics, will probably be "injured" or put in the SP OR LP of the team event.

Last edited:

buch

Match Penalty
I PRAY Adelina comes back and applies for Euros now. :cheer2:

Just to hear from Tsareva and to see her face, when her 204+ skater will be forced to stay home because of her cowardice. OMG that would be epic! :laugh2:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Adelina in 2022? :laugh: I'm sure everyone would love to be around for 3 Olympic cycles...

NaVi

Medalist
IMO, Pogorilaya did enough to go to Euros(and should go to Euros)... but at the same time I could see her losing to Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner if one is clean. I think Pogorilaya may have been more focused on her SP recently and only now gained trust in her programs.

If Adelina is really going to be ready to go, then she should compete for a 3rd World's spot... but if she shows up at Euros I will be smirking(but still hoping she does well) because it would just a little too convenient.

Yulia's had a good SP and a shaky LP... and that LP was a cancer that eventually infected her SP. Yulia likely would have been better off just sticking with the first program created for her by Ilia Averbukh(Yulia didn't like the music... but how could it be more disorienting than her R&J)... and Yulia also may have been better off if the Fed had not rejected her Mulan program. Yulia's bad season is a result of perfectionism from many including herself that left her with an unstable compromise program and less time to work on her other skills.

If Yulia wants to keep skating this year, she should change her LP and target the World Team Trophy which is a little under 4 months away. The LP should be something Yulia is really behind... if she wants to do Mulan then do Mulan... and if doesn't work she'd have time to change it next year and if it worked she could keep it for next year.

I think it safe bet is let go of this season and come back early next year in B events. Now would be a good time for her to focus on school so later on she could focus on skating... and also work on getting other distractions out of her life.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Pogorilaya did enough to go to Euros(and should go to Euros)... but at the same time I could see her losing to Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner if one is clean. I think Pogorilaya may have been more focused on her SP recently and only now gained trust in her programs.

If Adelina is really going to be ready to go, then she should compete for a 3rd World's spot... but if she shows up at Euros I will be smirking(but still hoping she does well) because it would just a little too convenient.

Yulia's had a good SP and a shaky LP... and that LP was a cancer that eventually infected her SP. Yulia likely would have been better off just sticking with the first program created for her by Ilia Averbukh(Yulia didn't like the music... but how could it be more disorienting than her R&J)... and Yulia also may have been better off if the Fed had not rejected her Mulan program. Yulia's bad season is a result of perfectionism from many including herself that left her with an unstable compromise program and less time to work on her other skills.

If Yulia wants to keep skating this year, she should change her LP and target the World Team Trophy which is a little under 4 months away. The LP should be something Yulia is really behind... if she wants to do Mulan then do Mulan... and if doesn't work she'd have time to change it next year and if it worked she could keep it for next year.

I think it safe bet is let go of this season and come back early next year in B events. Now would be a good time for her to focus on school so later on she could focus on skating... and also work on getting other distractions out of her life.

Major Lolz. I too hope the best for Adelina though.

I agree with everything in this post.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Some Nationals aftermath:

The Fed announced the team: Radionova, Tuk, Pogo. Sotnikova is listed as "backup".

Lipnitskaya said that she had the full intention to rock the FP but for some reason could last only through the first half.

Medvedeva was humble: "I did not pay attention to what was going on, my task was to get into the top 6 - I did even better. I have the higher result than many strong competitors. So what? When I think of what I achieved so far what I can do beyond figure skating I understand that's not much to be proud of. As I am too young it was not about Europe selection - I was quite relaxed which helped".

Tsareva (Pogo's fierce coach) said that Anna had a lot of psychological problems this season which she relates to her age. But she was pleases with her FS at the nationals (and with getting to Europe, of course). Pogo herself said that she wants a lot to go to Europe but understands that Adelina has th right to go if she is ready. She added that she is still eligible to go to JWC and there is a lot to do anyway.

Radionova is pleased with herself, will switch the dresses every now and then and intends to win in Stockholm.

Mishin said that Sotnikova can go to Europe only if she shows that she is ready during the closed skate.

Plyuschenko said he is very happy for Liza, he liked Radionova, and liked a lot Medvedeva. Then he added he was sorry for Yulia and hopes she will come back.

Tuk is not happy with her FS especially with the second half. Blames on nerves. She thinks that if Adelina proves herself to the Fed she can bypass nationals as she is the OGM winner.

Sakhanovich is pleased with her FS (I am as well). But thinks that she showed her best in Kazan earlier this year.

Proklova is not happy with herself but stays positive. "I think we reached the turning point. From now on it will get better".

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The Fed announced the team: Radionova, Tuk, Pogo. Sotnikova is listed as "backup".

I believe I saw Leonova listed as a second alternate, which would probably be a more likely scenario if one of the Elena/Liza/Anna pack were to get injured. :drama:

Thanks for the rest of the information!

elif

Medalist
Pogorilaya is 16 but she senior GP medalist amd 4th place finisher of last Worlds. I can't imagine her in World Juniors now. :shocked:

starlight97

Final Flight

Lipnitskaya said that she had the full intention to rock the FP but for some reason could last only through the first half.

Medvedeva was humble: "I did not pay attention to what was going on, my task was to get into the top 6 - I did even better. I have the higher result than many strong competitors. So what? When I think of what I achieved so far what I can do beyond figure skating I understand that's not much to be proud of. As I am too young it was not about Europe selection - I was quite relaxed which helped".

Tsareva (Pogo's fierce coach) said that Anna had a lot of psychological problems this season which she relates to her age. But she was pleases with her FS at the nationals (and with getting to Europe, of course). Pogo herself said that she wants a lot to go to Europe but understands that Adelina has th right to go if she is ready. She added that she is still eligible to go to JWC and there is a lot to do anyway.

Radionova is pleased with herself, will switch the dresses every now and then and intends to win in Stockholm.

Mishin said that Sotnikova can go to Europe only if she shows that she is ready during the closed skate.

Plyuschenko said he is very happy for Liza, he liked Radionova, and liked a lot Medvedeva. Then he added he was sorry for Yulia and hopes she will come back.

Tuk is not happy with her FS especially with the second half. Blames on nerves. She thinks that if Adelina proves herself to the Fed she can bypass nationals as she is the OGM winner.

Sakhanovich is pleased with her FS (I am as well). But thinks that she showed her best in Kazan earlier this year.

Proklova is not happy with herself but stays positive. "I think we reached the turning point. From now on it will get better".

Thank you !! :)
Did they do interviews and if so do you maybe have a link?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Anybody knows who will be the judges in those closed skates? And why are they actually closed? Let the public see what they do. Be more clear.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Well if there's a bright side for Yulia its only the post Olympic season and not the season of or before. There are 3 more years before the next Olympics, more then enough time for her to get it together.

If there's an ideal time to go through your growing pains its certainly this time!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

Thank you! :bow:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Things are going to be even more hectic next year. Probably two of these girls ( https://pp.vk.me/c623830/v623830213/f7b0/NpuAW8KWTx8.jpg ) are going to become senior and Leonova is likely the only competitor that may retire meaning were adding one more big threat overall to the mix. In two years Sasha and Masha will likely become senior too. It's just so much in one space. If this were an elevator it's possible the weight limit might be exceeded and I'm certain an alarm would sound and the door would open until some people got out. I guess though since it's figure skating we could probably load an entire competition into one without any weight issues.... Unless the coaches try to get in :slink:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Who is Zhenya because I can't find anything about her on YouTube or the internet o. o

Also am I the only one worried that these girls aren't gonna last long cause there jumping technique scares me. Like almost all of the skaters jump with there upper bodies