Hanyu diagnosed with urachal remnant problem; needs month treatment | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu diagnosed with urachal remnant problem; needs month treatment

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Life just can't give him break can it? :hopelessness: Unbelievable...just how much pain has he been enduring all this time??? From now on we should be asking, what part of him isn't in pain and hasn't injured :scowl:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am sure he will be fine, but :shocked:, what a rollercoaster of a year...hope he can have a more peaceful 2015 without any unpleasant surprises or major health issues.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am sure he will be fine, but :shocked:, what a rollercoaster of a year...hope he can have a more peaceful 2015 without any unpleasant surprises or major health issues.
The irony is that he will have to celebrate New Year Eve in hospital. :drama:

He has to stay in hospital for 2 weeks. You don't know how much New Year Eve means to us East Asian people, especially to Japanese since they no longer use Lunar Calendar like us (aka Chinese, Korean, and some contries in South East Asia).

There goes the traditional New Year celebration and all the funs along with it. :slink:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The irony is that he will have to celebrate New Year Eve in hospital. :drama:

He has to stay in hospital for 2 weeks. You don't know how much New Year Eve means to us East Asian people, especially to Japanese since they no longer use Lunar Calendar like us (aka Chinese, Korean, and some contries in South East Asia).

There goes the traditional New Year celebration and all the funs along with it. :slink:

Well, maybe just for 2015 he can celebrate the Lunar New Year instead. ;) I was once in Malaysia during Chinese New Year, so I have seen how they celebrate.

hanca

Record Breaker
I wish Hanyu a speedy recovery! But this is a bit over-the-top. I'm sure many many professional atheletes have had injuries, surgeries and played with pain. It's no need to be so melodramatic.

Such as Pluschenko! :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Article in english

Hanyu undergoes emergency surgery

Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu was diagnosed on Tuesday with urachal remnant disease and immediately underwent surgery, the Japan Skate Federation announced.

Hanyu is expected to be hospitalized for about two weeks and needs to be inactive for one month. Doctors will monitor his condition before a decision will be made on when he can return to practice.

Hanyu has been selected by Japan to skate at the March world championships, but there is concern his condition might impact his ability to take part. He is the defending world champion.

Hanyu had experienced intermittent abdominal pain while winning the title at the Grand Prix Final earlier this month, but still skated to an All-Japan Championship three-peat on Saturday.

The problem was discovered after a closer examination

So I´m guessing is it really just 4 weeks, not 6.

sonora

On the Ice
This young man needs a new nick name, Hanyu - has he ever been healthy?

Don’t you feel he keeps burning through ferocious fires and being reborn like a phoenix? This is how I feel about him through the year of 2014.

We’ve heard people said it was unwise for him to risk his health to compete in CoC (after the accident), and then NHK. And we’ve heard the media painted him as “skates like there is no tomorrow” even in practice. His life experience of the earthquake could be a reason, however I also feel it is him being Yuzuru Hanyu. He touches some many of us because he skates with his life. This is an amazing, amazing skater, one with extreme delicate appearance, iron tough mentality, and the greatest passion altogether.

I wish the best for his health. May the fire bird fly to his destiny in 2018.

emma

Record Breaker
Wishing Hanyu a full and speedy recovery! Hopefully, he will have some family and friends with him during New Year's and over these weeks to come to love and support him as he heals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Poor guy! Hopefully he takes the adequate time to recover. Thankfully this seems like something that can be easily recovered from and nothing too serious. Hope he's able to enjoy his New Years!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just thinking about what he's gone through this year is painful. :cry: He just can't catch a break...

Good luck on the treatment and recovery.

noskates

Record Breaker
You have to wonder what influence jumping with that really frail body has had on his physical well-being. I jokingly always say the boy needs to eat a hamburger but seriously - all that pressure of landing jumps has to take its toll. There just isn't a lot on his frame to cushion him. I wish him a speedy recovery.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
You have to wonder what influence jumping with that really frail body has had on his physical well-being. I jokingly always say the boy needs to eat a hamburger but seriously - all that pressure of landing jumps has to take its toll. There just isn't a lot on his frame to cushion him. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Actually, most of Yuzuru´s problems are congenital. Including his little hability to gain weight. So, very little to do with jumping, but I do agree that in a sport like figure skating does past a toll in skaters, all of them.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Actually, most of Yuzuru´s problems are congenital. Including his little hability to gain weight. So, very little to do with jumping, but I do agree that in a sport like figure skating does past a toll in skaters, all of them.

I think we we are blending the issues. Congenital or not, self-imposed or not, how much does low weight have other effects on a person. Would more wight give more cushioning on the joints perhaps for instance? Would more of a booty help soften the impact on his hip joints when he falls maybe? No only that, but when they body has no fat, it will eat other stuff (for lack of a better way to put it). My better half had some health issues, pretty much lost all his body fat from his body trying to cannibalize itself, and moved on from the fat to the muscle before we got help. A man that had never been cold in his life was suddenly shivering constantly because his body was consuming itself to survive. We were told the bones were next after the muscle. So what happens when someone like Hanyu, who likely have very little body fat, and is training like a mad man burning calories like crazy? People sometimes we forget it takes calories/energy to heal. Crack a rib, that takes body energy to heal, the crack has to get sustenance from somewhere to grow and heal and mend. If he does not up his caloric intake, or reduce his physical activity, while healing at some point the body is going to be lacking and something has to give.

So we have this athlete that needs to keep weight down to be able to do certain things, and where do you draw the line? It is a valid issue to discuss. Where is the balance?

I know I should feel all bad about this but :laugh2: you just made my day

Don't feel bad. I am sure Hanyu would rather than thoughts of his skating bring you joy rather than being sad about his health. Keep smiling and picturing him in gold sparkles. Frankly I am confident that is what he would want.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
^But the problem with that is he originally has a stomach condition that prevents him from keeping a large quantity of food down. There are a of things his stomach can't keep down and his mother even had to get a very specific meal plan from a nutritionist in order to get him to eat enough so he has enough nutritions just to maintain his current weight. In his case, its not a matter of just eating more and gaining weight because he simply can't even if he wanted to.

His body naturally just isn't made for doing physically demanding sports IMO :no:

Eclair

Medalist
I think we we are blending the issues. Congenital or not, self-imposed or not, how much does low weight have other effects on a person. Would more wight give more cushioning on the joints perhaps for instance? Would more of a booty help soften the impact on his hip joints when he falls maybe? No only that, but when they body has no fat, it will eat other stuff (for lack of a better way to put it). My better half had some health issues, pretty much lost all his body fat from his body trying to cannibalize itself, and moved on from the fat to the muscle before we got help. A man that had never been cold in his life was suddenly shivering constantly because his body was consuming itself to survive. We were told the bones were next after the muscle. So what happens when someone like Hanyu, who likely have very little body fat, and is training like a mad man burning calories like crazy? People sometimes we forget it takes calories/energy to heal. Crack a rib, that takes body energy to heal, the crack has to get sustenance from somewhere to grow and heal and mend. If he does not up his caloric intake, or reduce his physical activity, while healing at some point the body is going to be lacking and something has to give.

So we have this athlete that needs to keep weight down to be able to do certain things, and where do you draw the line? It is a valid issue to discuss. Where is the balance?

No offense to you as a person, but there's is so many things wrong in what you said and I hope you don't mind me pointing it out.
Fat will not 'cushion' hip joints or any joints at all, because there is no fat between the joints, even if you weight 300 pounds. All that fat does for the joints is to strain them, because excess weight is put on them.
It is true, that if someone has little fat the body will start to consume proteins from the muscles or the blood, but only if that person doesn't eat enough proteins and carbohydrates. I doubt hanyu is starving himself and while the infection on his urachus probably kept him from eating, it's only temporarely.
bone fractures heal better with excercice and not body fat is needed for reparing, but calcium and vit. D. Also it's very rare for young men to have osteoporosis especially if they excercise at lot, because excercise means harder bones (more density). With women it's another story, because too much excercise and low body fat results in less estrogen - more fragile bones.

that all said, I too hope for his speedy recovery! maybe the stress is getting him ...

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
World is in end of March so he still have time to rest and get back to training .... wish him a speedy recovery

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
No offense to you as a person, but there's is so many things wrong in what you said and I hope you don't mind me pointing it out.
Fat will not 'cushion' hip joints or any joints at all, because there is no fat between the joints, even if you weight 300 pounds. All that fat does for the joints is to strain them, because excess weight is put on them.
It is true, that if someone has little fat the body will start to consume proteins from the muscles or the blood, but only if that person doesn't eat enough proteins and carbohydrates. I doubt hanyu is starving himself and while the infection on his urachus probably kept him from eating, it's only temporarely.
bone fractures heal better with excercice and not body fat is needed for reparing, but calcium and vit. D. Also it's very rare for young men to have osteoporosis especially if they excercise at lot, because excercise means harder bones (more density). With women it's another story, because too much excercise and low body fat results in less estrogen - more fragile bones.

that all said, I too hope for his speedy recovery! maybe the stress is getting him ...

Maybe joints was wrong. . . mostly I was remember a teacher who was very thin naturally and had screws in he spine and was told if she gained weight she would have less pain. Are where your vertebrae connect considered joints? They are similar in that they are bone connections. At any rate fat has its purpose, the body needs it and sometimes we forget what it does for you. There is a balance between having the fat your body needs and having little enough to launch your body in the air like a rocket. I suspect many skaters while not trying to starve themselves are trying to maintain as little weight as possible while still being healthy, and I do think many are very conscientious about it. (I swear i have heard of eating problems leading to joint pain and issues but maybe im wrong, maybe it is for different reasons, but I honestly thought that was a common thing with low weight. Maybe is is just a messed up association in my head due so so many activities that are prone to both eating disorders and wearing out joints).

I don't know all the facts on his diet, diet restrictions, etc. But I do think he is the type that would want to at least pay attention to his food intake even if he had a caste iron stomach. The guy is clearly smart, he seems the type that would count calories (and hopefully more detailed that that alone) and pay attention to what he is eating in relation to his training. Yes I think he is the type who runs numbers in his head before having a slice of birthday cake for lack of a better way to put it. I hope he still has it, but I suspect he accounts for it in his training. I would guess he eats very differently during down time and high time training because well, I can't see how he should not!

If you take an athlete that normally has a good handle on how much to eat given a physical work out schedule and has a good feel for how much they need, and how much is too much, it could be hard to find that balance while trying to heal. If you normally account for all variable and plan accordingly, tossing on in can have a domino effect.

Add health/stomach issues on it, and my god what a headache. Please note I am not saying he should gain weight, or saying if he just eats more he will, or anything of the sort. I am saying he maybe someone who needs to really consider how many calories he should be burning via physical activity while hid body needs calories to heal properly. If he can't eat more, something else has to give.

It is possible he would be more comfortable with more weight. It is also possible he may not be able to do all of his jumps the same. Who knows what the line is and what would make him happiest and what is reasonable. Maybe he can't eat enough to train at anything even close to his level and weigh more. Then again if he cut down to only one quad, maybe that would allow his body to keep an extra pound or two on and maybe he would be happier that way. Who knows. Some would likely say a lower tech contact and less pain is worth it, others likely will say the pain is worth it for the success. At any rate I find the intersection to be interesting and relevant to the sport.