2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes. They did go out and attack it. So :clap: for them. And I think they've finally found some good tech coaching from Scali and probably Charlie White. I'm not even a techie and it's plainly visible. Charlie once said he thought Philip Glass was a good potential source for programs. Do all of us ShibSib fans a favor: find them a really beautiful driving arty Glass piece, cut it for them, and convince them to really go for an arty beautiful FD, like their Coldplay exhibition is this year.

Just sayin'...

Yep. I don't mind this chewing at the bit strategy for now though. They've already done the whole getting on the podium during the first year of the quad thing. I like this building up over time method so much better.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Reeds were injured right? The overall placement was right imho. Weaver and Poje deserved it overall though I find they are vulnerable as they make far too many errors (consistency). I am not overly thrilled with Chock and Bates; though Shibs have limitations with their programs that Zueva or whoever gave them I would have them over Chock and BAtes for sure in the short dance. world's will be interesting - not so much because of great ice dancing but because it is such a volatile world in ice dance. You have the world champions from Italy who were probably the weakest and worst programs to win a world title in recent memory and they barely won over the Canadians Weaver and Poje who aren't in the same class as Davis and White or Virtue Moir - although to be fair no one is the same category right now. There is something inorganic about Chock and Bates. P and C look really the heir apparents but they seem to be missing something too. The Russians are just a mess though there is hope - it just might take some time and healing of injuries. The Shibs don't have the programs. Everyone seems prone to missing levels right now and errors.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
At this point in the season. I'll take it. Levels, levels levels. Honestly..we'll worry about next season when this season is over. :)
101 and change is a change for Shibutanis, since it's their season's best anyway. And they haven't gotten over 100 before this season either. As for levels, except the twizzles, there was nothing wrong with the rest of their levels this time - level 3 on both step sequences (which is fine, since level 4 on FD step sequences is a true rarity, and no one got that here anyway), and level 4 on all lifts and the spin.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Yes. They did go out and attack it. So :clap: for them. And I think they've finally found some good tech coaching from Scali and probably Charlie White. I'm not even a techie and it's plainly visible. Charlie once said he thought Philip Glass was a good potential source for programs. Do all of us ShibSib fans a favor: find them a really beautiful driving arty Glass piece, cut it for them, and convince them to really go for an arty beautiful FD, like their Coldplay exhibition is this year.

Just sayin'...

I like what you're sayin', Weak Ankles. I really like it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
101 and change is a change for Shibutanis, since it's their season's best anyway. And they haven't gotten over 100 before this season either. As for levels, except the twizzles, there was nothing wrong with the rest of their levels this time - level 3 on both step sequences (which is fine, since level 4 on FD step sequences is a true rarity, and no one got that here anyway), and level 4 on all lifts and the spin.

It's actually their personal best! Their PB was a 100+ scores from one of their senior b's this fall. And I always felt those 100+ scores were suspect because of the field of competition. For them to get 100+ in an ISU championship is huge, IMO.

Last edited:

pandatours

On the Ice
Chock/Bates... I think I figured out why I'm not a fan. Madison is a great performer, who can really project into the audience. However, she doesn't really have chemistry with her partner. The choreography had some, er, "chemistry" moves, but she looked like she could've been doing them with anybody.

They don't really connect to the audience as a team, but Madison can sex up anything, that's for sure. They've also only been together for four competitive seasons...I still think they have a lot of room to grow but C/B benefited the most from the Marina/Igor split. They're very driven and got all of Igor's time and attention

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Duchenays solved the brother/sister dilemma by going avant garde (I think the reason they didn't win at the Olympics is that they tried to play it straight with the West Side Story piece, which fell flat). The Kerrs solved it by going tres modern with techno/dance/electronic music. I don't think either way would really play to the Shibs strengths, which are all about elegant precision and lightness. So why not really go for something arty, driving and elegant? With an edge.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
From all accounts C&B are very much appreciated by the audience. I think we should speak for ourselves, only, when we make comments about how do we see skaters and their connection. We really can't speak for everybody. It's just our impression and perception.

auser

Record Breaker
It's actually their personal best! Their PB was a 100+ scores from one of their senior b's this fall. And I always felt those 100+ scores were suspect because of the field of competition. For them to get 100+ in an ISU championship is huge, IMO.
No wonder you claim to be sleepy... your mad stat skills just keep on going for one more post, one more program:cheer: Thanks Mrs P :)

pandatours

On the Ice
The Duchenays solved the brother/sister dilemma by going avant garde (I think the reason they didn't win at the Olympics is that they tried to play it straight with the West Side Story piece, which fell flat). The Kerrs solved it by going tres modern with techno/dance/electronic music. I don't think either way would really play to the Shibs strengths, which are all about elegant precision and lightness. So why not really go for something arty, driving and elegant?

Something like Nelli and Alex's Swan Lake Reloaded, except not because I hate that music. But I think if done right they could do really mixing modern and artsy elegance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No wonder you claim to be sleepy... your mad stat skills just keep on going for one more post, one more program:cheer: Thanks Mrs P :)

You're welcome. I am going to sleep soon though for real......I think. :)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
LOL Probably.

W/P have improved and yes they skated it well. I just wish the program wasn't so damn self-consciously Important.
:rolleye: Sorry, then by your logic, everything that is great/well done and is not understated = "self-consciously Important".

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Something like Nelli and Alex's Swan Lake Reloaded, except not because I hate that music. But I think if done right they could do really mixing modern and artsy elegance

I don't know if you've seen The Turning Point, but the piece that makes the young ballet dancer into The New Rising Ballerina in the movie is a very edgy piece choreographed by Alvin Ailey to one of Duke Ellington's classically-influenced jazz pieces. I was thinking something along those lines.

Or maybe a John Adams piece. Or even Laurie Anderson.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:rolleye: Sorry, then by your logic, everything that is great/well done and is not understated = "self-consciously Important".

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth please. The reason why I DON'T like W/P's piece is it feels to me that it wasn't choreographed to the music. It was choreographed to Win. They took a piece which has figure skating's Accepted Seal Of Important Music, even though I don't think it really suits either of them very well. And that whole program feels designed to say how Important it is. Krylova herself won a world program with a similar self-consciously Important FD with the African drums. Maybe I'm a cynical New Yorker, but that's how I feel.

You can do grand and dramatic and great/well done without the self-consciousness being so apparent. Look at Kavaguti and Smirnov's FS this year, which is about as grand and dramatic a program as I've ever seen. But it doesn't feel like it's getting in my face saying, Look at how Important I am!

GF2445

Record Breaker

Yes. Despite a third place finish and being firmly placed behind Madison and Evan overall, the Shib Sibs are figuring out well what they need to do to continue to move up and grow. To get into the 170+ range (total score) tells you that the judges are appreciating them as a team. Despite the error, i thought it was their strongest outing this season.