Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a list of requirements for the ladies SP :)

Ladies' singles
A double or triple axel jump
A triple jump immediately preceded by connecting steps
A jump combination consisting of one double and one triple jump, or two triple jumps
A flying spin
A layback spin
A spin combination with one change of foot
A step sequence (straight line, circular, or serpentine)

britebells

Rinkside
Hi!

Sorry if this has been posted before... I've read a lot of this thread but not all 106 pages.

Almost every time I watch FS with my boyfriend in the room, he asks about why the quality of the music is so poor. Why, he asks, is the music recorded in the arena and not through an audio input that would ensure better quality?

My initial guess was that people like to hear the sounds over the music (e.g., skate sounds, sounds in the arena) to which he says that they could also record those and put them together, but I think that this would require more time and energy than it is worth to the majority of fans.

Does anyone have thoughts about this?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
does antbody know if CBC covered 4CC?

Yes, some of the members in Canada said that CBC did have live streaming, but it was just a direct copy of the CCTV5+ coverage (complete with Chinese commentary!)

Hi!

Sorry if this has been posted before... I've read a lot of this thread but not all 106 pages.

Almost every time I watch FS with my boyfriend in the room, he asks about why the quality of the music is so poor. Why, he asks, is the music recorded in the arena and not through an audio input that would ensure better quality?

My initial guess was that people like to hear the sounds over the music (e.g., skate sounds, sounds in the arena) to which he says that they could also record those and put them together, but I think that this would require more time and energy than it is worth to the majority of fans.

Does anyone have thoughts about this?

There have been some competitions over the past few years where the music has been piped straight from the CD player to the broadcast feed. And I for one have HATED it!!!

For a start, you lose all the atmosphere of the event. If you pipe in the music, you get no perspective whatsoever of how the audience are reacting to what is going on on the ice. I like knowing whether the spectators are enjoying what they are watching. It feels weird when somebody does a move particularly well, and you don't hear any applause. Similarly, it feels weird you see somebody fall, but don't hear any "oohs" and "aahs".

Plus, it just doesn't sound natural to only hear music. Whenever you are at an event, there is always some sort of background noise, be it rustling, people moving, etc. Without that, it just seems, well, un-natural.

Ice skates are not completely silent; they make a noise as they glide across the ice. Although it is not loud enough to hear all the time, there are times when you can hear something going wrong. So, if you just pipe the music in, you loose that extra indication.

Finally, we wouldn't get to hear the great K-Pop music in between skaters! :biggrin:

Well, actually, we would. Most of the competitions where they pipe in the music return to the rink-side microphones for the results getting announced. And it feels really surreal going from clear music to silence, then to the rink-side noise, then to silence, and finally back to clear music.

HOWEVER, there is always the danger of the person controlling the audio feed forgetting to switch between audio sources. And unfortunately, this happened frequently during the streaming of the French Nationals.

So, all in all, it is better to stick with the rink-side microphones.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, some of the members in Canada said that CBC did have live streaming, but it was just a direct copy of the CCTV5+ coverage (complete with Chinese commentary!)

There have been some competitions over the past few years where the music has been piped straight from the CD player to the broadcast feed. And I for one have HATED it!!!

Do all skaters still bring their music to competitions on CD? CDs can be scratched, misplaced, etc. so I wonder what are the rules about using music files instead ? I read that Sasha Petrov had the wrong recording at Junior Nationals and I'm just curious how that could happen...who's "in charge" of the music, and has anyone ever forgotten or lost theirs?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Do all skaters still bring their music to competitions on CD? CDs can be scratched, misplaced, etc. so I wonder what are the rules about using music files instead ? I read that Sasha Petrov had the wrong recording at Junior Nationals and I'm just curious how that could happen...who's "in charge" of the music, and has anyone ever forgotten or lost theirs?

In Jason Brown photo gallery for nationals, there's a photo of him burning a CD at the credential area: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/108871878 (photo 6 of 13)

According to the 4CC event annnouncement (http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/165981/fc2015_announcement_final.pdf)

All Competitors shall furnish competition music of excellent quality on CD (Compact Disc) or in any other
approved format.
In accordance with Rule 343, paragraph 1, all discs must show the Competition event, Competitors name,
the Nation and the exact running time of the music - not skating time - including any starting signal, which
shall be certified by the Competitor and by the coach, when submitted at the time of registration. Competitors
must provide a back-up drive for each program.
The titles, composers and orchestras of the music to be used for the Short Program and Free Skating
Program for Singles and Pairs, for the Short Dance and Free Dance Program for Ice Dance and for the
Exhibition, must be listed for each Competitor on the official Competition Music Form.
If music information is not complete and disks not provided, accreditation will not be given

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P. I haven't bought or played a CD in years, so it seems a bit like dinosaur technology to me. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P. I haven't bought or played a CD in years, so it seems a bit like dinosaur technology to me. :)

Well chances are, most of the skaters likely have the files digitally and there's probably a external disk drive for people to burn the songs to.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Just further to Mrs. P's answer.

At quite a few of the Senior B and National competitions I have watched this season, you can actually see the skater being handed their CD back in between coming off the ice and getting their results.

So, it may be a "dinosaur technology", but it is the technology of choice!

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Brooklee eligible for Jr Worlds? I was looking at the entries list and noticed that she is listed as a substitute. Kailani is Auatralia's official entry. Is it actually possible to enter Senior World Championships one year and then go back and compete in the Jr World Championship? If so...why?

Here is the entries list.
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00008340.htm

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Is Brooklee eligible for Jr Worlds? I was looking at the entries lost and noticed that she is listed as a substitute. Kailani is Auatralia's official entry. Is it actually possible to enter Senior Eorld Championships one year and then go back and compete in the Jr World Championship? If so...why?

Here is the entries list.
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00008340.htm

Apparently it is? They were going to make a rule about it but it never happened. Jin-seo Kim from SK is also going to Junior Worlds this year even though he has already competed as a senior and is an Olympian

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Is it actually possible to enter Senior World Championships one year and then go back and compete in the Jr World Championship? If so...why? ...

Apparently it is? They were going to make a rule about it but it never happened. ...

This question was discussed on p. 97 of this thread, starting with post #1444.

The citation for the proposal (only a proposal) is in post #1449.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I am watching Todd Eldridge and Michelle Kwan at worlds 1996. I noticed during Todds skate that Brian Boitano is commentating. How long did he commentate for? Was it just a few events? I think he does a good job.
Just curious.
Thanks.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How much were the qualifying round, short program and long program each worth at Worlds under the old, 6.0 system?

How much were the qualifying round, short program and long program each worth at Worlds under the old, 6.0 system?

As I recall it varied from year to year. Some years they didn't count the qualifying round at all. One formula was 1/7, 2/7, and 4/7.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The factor for the free skate was always 1.0 in factored pkacements. As I recall the only years qual round counted were 1999-2004 in 6.0. The factors would have been 0.4, 0.6, 1.0 (so a skater who won every phase would have a total of 2.0 factored placements at the end of the event). Or 20, 30, 50 percent for qual, SP and free skate respectively.

I'd have to check the percentages used under IJS ca 2005 but probably the same.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The factor for the free skate was always 1.0 in factored pkacements. As I recall the only years qual round counted were 1999-2004 in 6.0. The factors would have been 0.4, 0.6, 1.0 for a skater who won every phase. Or 20, 30, 50 percent for qual, SP and free skate respectively.

I'd have to check the percentages used under IJS ca 2005 but probably the same.

Thank you.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's the best way to find seasons best scores by discipline? Lets pretend I am interested in ladies SB for the SP :p