Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Tanka

On the Ice
It's a stab in the dark, but my guess is that it is because the ISU is based in Switzerland. Therefore, the keyboards they have can only do accents that are used in French and German (acute, grave, circumflex, cedilla, diaeresis/umlaut). And the people typing out the Bios can't be bothered trying to find out how to do other accents, like the hacek used in Czech names.
As I said, this is all just me guessing. But, it seems plausible.

Thank you, it is the best version I've ever heard. To be honest, it's the only one but it makes sense and I gonna stick to it.

peg

Medalist
and one of my chief objections to COP. I love a good spiral!
Didn't it used to be a requirement (at least in the SP) even under COP until after 2010? So it's not COP per se that's to blame, but rather a subsequent decision by the ISU

gkelly

Record Breaker
Between 1989 and 2010, spiral sequence was a required element in the ladies' short program. When IJS started, that element earned points for different levels based on difficulty.

Between ca. 2000 and 2004, the well-balanced program rules specified a spiral sequence in the ladies free skate and a "field moves sequence" in the men's free skate. That was the only time when men were more or less required to do sustained gliding rules -- some guys did spirals, others preferred moves like spread eagles, Ina Bauers, shoot-the-ducks, hydroblading.

Between 2005 and 2010 seasons, under IJS, the well-balanced program rules specified and gave points for a leveled spiral sequence in the senior ladies' free skate.

Since 2011, the senior ladies' free skate has included a choreographed sequence that was originally required to include at least one spiral position (free foot hip level or above), but it didn't need to be held for a minimum number of seconds. More recently not even that is required. The base value for all choreo sequences is the same and extra points come only from quality (GOE). So skaters with strong spirals include them in the sequence, skaters who don't like or aren't good at spirals include other moves.

The pair rules have also required sequences of spirals by both partners at various times, but I haven't memorized the relevant rule changes.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I rather like Elena Radionova's at the end of her LP. Maybe a bit too busy/multiple changing COP positions, but she makes it work.

I agree about the positions. She would look much better if she held them a bit longer. But Radionova has good spirals.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Their scores from last season count for qualification this year.

Thank you! I was confused about that. Would you also happen to know what is the difference between quitting and just skipping a season or two? They say that skaters can only come back once. Why?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does the winner of TEB actually get a trophy? Look at this photo. The event is Trophee Eric Bompard, after all, but I thought the winners got only gold medals? Can someone please tell me more about this? Have I just not paid attention all these years? Thanks in advance!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Does the winner of TEB actually get a trophy? Look at this photo. The event is Trophee Eric Bompard, after all, but I thought the winners got only gold medals? Can someone please tell me more about this? Have I just not paid attention all these years? Thanks in advance!

Patrick has a collection of these trophies, not the crystal sculpture. Well, they are less fragile and lighter, easier to take back home.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick has a collection of these trophies, not the crystal sculpture. Well, they are less fragile and lighter, easier to take back home.
I think that's so cool. Is that the year below the competition name? It's hard to believe that I've been a skating fan for so long and just now noticed that the winners of TEB get trophies. Heck, when I started watching skating, it was Trophee Lalique, and Cup of China didn't exist yet (RIP Nations Cup:laugh:).

Last edited:

mao_da_artist

Rinkside
Most ladies do a 3/3, 3 Loop, 2A in their short programs. Why not try for another triple instead of a 2A to get higher base value?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most ladies do a 3/3, 3 Loop, 2A in their short programs. Why not try for another triple instead of a 2A to get higher base value?

A solo 2a jump pass not in combination is required for the ladies in the SP.

Last edited:

DexterK

On the Ice

Performing the Axel is required. If a competitor in the ladies event wished to replace the 2A with a triple- she would have to replace it with a 3A. Most ladies cannot do this, and so the 2A has become a mainstay of the short program.