Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 78 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
All the divorced woman I know kept their former husband's last name.

And you know, you have to change soooo many documents in soooo many different places when you change your last name, that a woman should really hate her husband to go into it.
Half of my friends didn't changed their maiden last name after marriage as well, for the same reason.

Thank you for your reply Tanka!

When you put it like this, I can totally understand why divorced women don't bother reverting back to their maiden name.

You know, in these days when there is so much documentation, be it in paper or electronic form, I am amazed that women do still change their names when they get married. It's just so much hassle getting everything updated.

Plus, it's confusing for people like me who are trying to find them on social media! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

peg

Medalist
The rare final -í and final -ů groups. Those lucky folks don't have to worry about authorities abroad, as the female and male surnames are identical.
Can you think of any such examples? My own surname in Czech ends in y, but there you just replace the y with an a.

That's because the feminine version is -á, not -a like in Russian. Unaccented final -a is used in male surnames only. That's why it sounds strange and unfeminine to you. :) The accent is not shown on TV (neither is Meité's for instance).
You're right. I hadn't quite figured out why because I didn't know the actual rule, but in learning languages at a young age, we subconsciously figure out the patterns even if we can;t articulate them.

peg

Medalist
Thank you, peg. I didn't realise that you have lived most of your life in Canada. So you definitely know what it is like to be in the situation I described!
Once we switched to just using the masculine version, any problems disappeared. And that's what most people of Slavic origin do here in North America.

But, does it not get even more complicated when the name on your birth certificate doesn't match the name on the other documentation?
I can't think of the last time I needed to provide my birth certificate for anything. Even my Canadian citizenship paper has the masculine form now. (When we became citizens, I was still a child and they did the citizenship by the name on the birth certificate, but then when I became an adult I had to get a picture ID card for my citizenship instead of just a paper, and now it has the male version - and there wasn't a problem changing it. I think I just attached a note explaining the naming traditions. I'm sre wasn't the first such case they encountered.)

peg

Medalist
Thank you for your reply Tanka!

When you put it like this, I can totally understand why divorced women don't bother reverting back to their maiden name.

You know, in these days when there is so much documentation, be it in paper or electronic form, I am amazed that women do still change their names when they get married. It's just so much hassle getting everything updated.

Plus, it's confusing for people like me who are trying to find them on social media! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

In Quebec, hen a woman marries she legally keeps her name. If she does want to change it, she has a lot of hassle.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Can you think of any such examples?

For the unusual surname groups? Sure - there's for instance a 'Tachecí' (female, used to work in TV and politics, I believe), or 'Janů' (female, a singer). There are other surnames belonging to these groups, but they're quite rare.

peg

Medalist
For the unusual surname groups? Sure - there's for instance a 'Tachecí' (female, used to work in TV and politics, I believe), or 'Janů' (female, a singer). There are other surnames belonging to these groups, but they're quite rare.
Those actually sound like they may have foreign origins. Do they?

Weathergal

Medalist
I noticed at the Europeans that they had sort of "mini medal ceremonies" for the winners of the short program. Does any other competition do that?

Weathergal

Medalist
4 Continents and Worlds also give out Small Medals for the SP and LP separately.

Thank you Newbiespectator! I knew someone here would know the answer. It's not something I've paid attention to before, I guess. But I'm linked to the ISU on FB, and they posted the photos so I started wondering. I've watched those events for many years but never knew that!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I haven't followed pairs this season since V&T are out and S&S are done but I was looking at GPF protocols and are they not giving the 10% bonus in the second half for lifts/throws/jumps anymore (yes, too lazy to look at the communication(s)). :)

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Those actually sound like they may have foreign origins. Do they?

I'm positive both surnames, and both groups, are domestic. The -ů is a genitive ending, and the surnames that contain it mean 'of the family of [male first name]' -> Janů, Petrů etc. The -ecí is an adjectival suffix, but there are other surnames where the -í is part of the word root itself, like 'Kočí' (lit. 'Coachman').

Tanka

On the Ice
I have a stupid question too. :biggrin:

Why almost all names are transliterated into English (using 26 English letters) while some names are written with special symbols in them. For example, Eliška Březinová is Eliska BREZINOVA but Gerli LIINAMÄE is Gerli LIINAMÄE. (ISU link)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a stupid question too. :biggrin:

Why almost all names are transliterated into English (using 26 English letters) while some names are written with special symbols in them. For example, Eliška Březinová is Eliska BREZINOVA but Gerli LIINAMÄE is Gerli LIINAMÄE. (ISU link)

It's a stab in the dark, but my guess is that it is because the ISU is based in Switzerland. Therefore, the keyboards they have can only do accents that are used in French and German (acute, grave, circumflex, cedilla, diaeresis/umlaut). And the people typing out the Bios can't be bothered trying to find out how to do other accents, like the hacek used in Czech names.

But, it still doesn't explain why they don't put the acute accent on the "a" at the end of the "-ová" suffix. (Maybe they use the principle "If we have to leave out one accent in a name, then we will leave out them all").

As I said, this is all just me guessing. But, it seems plausible.

CaroLiza_fan

peg

Medalist
I'm positive both surnames, and both groups, are domestic. The -ů is a genitive ending, and the surnames that contain it mean 'of the family of [male first name]' -> Janů, Petrů etc. The -ecí is an adjectival suffix, but there are other surnames where the -í is part of the word root itself, like 'Kočí' (lit. 'Coachman').
Interesting, thanks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hey, spelling of names in the U.S. has absolutely no consistency. For example, the Miner/Minor family that were some of the original settlers of CT. Children of the same parents-some spelled the name Miner, others spelled it Minor.

Throw in a name that had a different alphabet rather than English, or a language where men and women have last names with different endings, and any given immigration officer or town clerk can spell that name seven different ways on seven different days. And has.

thedybbuk

Rinkside
Is there an average age for male skaters to have a consistent quad and 3A? After which if they don't have one it's probably never going to happen?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Menshov got his in his late twenties. Bychenko has a very nice quad this year that he really didn't have last year. He is 26.