Team U.S.A Fan Page | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Team U.S.A Fan Page

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, you guys are neglecting such an important thing. WHAT TO EAT? You can not have any sort of fan festivities without tailgating and eating. :laugh:

Maybe I should make my patriotic whoopie pies again.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I will bring the Beer and Wine! We are going to need it! :laugh2:

GO Team USA! :cheer:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
WTT starts in the late evening goes into the middle of the night....So our tailgate would start just in time for dinner!

Mmmmmm pulled pork. :) I'm thinking I'm going to have to BBQ Wednesday night in honor of Team USA. :D

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have this strange feeling that by "tailgating" you guys do not mean "following another car dangerously close"...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have this strange feeling that by "tailgating" you guys do not mean "following another car dangerously close"...

No, no we don't.

Tailgating is when you cook food in the parking lot out of the tailgate of your vehicle because the venue only has overpriced crap. Think of it a bit like asphalt camping.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A photo of Max Aaron :) is the illustration for Jackie Wong's post re the WTT rosters of all countries.

... Tailgating is when you cook food in the parking lot out of the tailgate of your vehicle because the venue only has overpriced crap. Think of it a bit like asphalt camping.

For karne's sake, I would add that some fans (at least from sports other than figure skating) have elevated tailgating to an art form.

They intentionally arrive at the venue hours in advance to prepare and consume elaborate feasts -- in some cases, with gourmet ingredients that are a far cry from basic hot dogs and potato chips (not that there's anything wrong with basic hot dogs and potato chips).

As for our viewing of WTT, methinks we gotta have some sushi, in honor of the host country.
And we know that Gracie loves sushi.

ETA, no sushi for you, Mrs. P (for baby's sake).​

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
For karne's sake, I would add that some fans (at least from sports other than figure skating) have elevated tailgating to an art form.

They intentionally arrive at the venue hours in advance to prepare and consume elaborate feasts -- in some cases, with gourmet ingredients that are a far cry from basic hot dogs and potato chips (not that there's anything wrong with basic hot dogs and potato chips).

As for our viewing of WTT, methinks we gotta have some sushi, in honor of the host country.
And we know that Gracie loves sushi.

ETA, no sushi for you, Mrs. P (for baby's sake).​

I was never trying to imply otherwise! karne is Australian, somehow I expect Australians to know how to make good food in less than a gourmet 5 star kitchen. I think with the information i provided I would trust an Australian to take me tailgating and have a great time. Actually, I would not be surprised if they have spiritually similar traditions.

I'm not much of a sushi fan, but maybe I will pick up some Sake.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not much of a sushi fan, but maybe I will pick up some Sake.

No sushi for me either (unless I want to have a Josh moment and end up in the hospital with a severe allergic reaction). The pretzel bread from Nebelhorn looks awfully inviting though and I'll trade the Sake for hard cider. :biggrin:

Interesting to note, team USA is mainly comprised of last year's Nebelhorn competitors (Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Alexa Scimeca / Chris Knierim, Madison Chock / Evan Bates) who won the team trophy at that event.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was never trying to imply otherwise! karne is Australian, somehow I expect Australians to know how to make good food in less than a gourmet 5 star kitchen. I think with the information i provided I would trust an Australian to take me tailgating and have a great time. Actually, I would not be surprised if they have spiritually similar traditions. ...

Oh, pls don't get me wrong, Stitch. I was not contradicting or criticizing your post re tailgating :no:.

Just adding to it, b/c karne's post seemed to indicate that the term is an Americanism unfamiliar to her. (Altho' I agree with you that Aussies prob. do something similar, but call it something else.)

What I was trying to say is that in the same parking lot, one family might be very happily chowing down on hot dogs and chips, washed down with domestic beer or diet Coke - using paper plates/napkins and plastic cutlery/cups.
A few feet away, another group might prefer to attempt fine dining -- with swordfish kebabs, grilled asparagus, French wine, china and crystal, real silverware, linen tablecloths and napkins, etc.
As long as everyone is enjoying themselves with whatever approach they have taken, all good :).

Good question!!! What should we bring to a figure skating tailgate?

How about that staple of tailgating, the Memphis style pulled pork sandwich? Served with the homemade coleslaw, chopped very fine, inside the bun?
http://www.food.com/recipe/memphis-que-pulled-pork-with-mustard-cole-slaw-288436 ...

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Max Aaron likes pulled pork :yes: (as do I). (He's a good Reform Jew, I guess :).)

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Oh, pls don't get me wrong, Stitch. I was not contradicting or criticizing your post re tailgating :no:.

Just adding to it, b/c karne's post seemed to indicate that the term is an Americanism unfamiliar to her. (Altho' I agree with you that Aussies prob. do something similar, but call it something else.)

What I was trying to say is that in the same parking lot, one family might be very happily chowing down on hot dogs and chips, washed down with domestic beer or diet Coke - using paper plates/napkins and plastic cutlery/cups.
A few feet away, another group might prefer to attempt fine dining -- with swordfish kebabs, grilled asparagus, French wine, china and crystal, real silverware, linen tablecloths and napkins, etc.
As long as everyone is enjoying themselves with whatever approach they have taken, all good :).

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Max Aaron likes pulled pork :yes: (as do I). (He's a good Reform Jew, I guess. :).)

Ohh i was just trying to be playful, sorry if I came across wrong. Really I thought it would be more of a light bulb type thing for karne is why I did not elaborate.

I enjoy the spirit of tailgating. I enjoy making what I like to call gourmet bar food, so I assure you I enjoy the spirit of it. And the silliness.

If you have not ever tried making your own BBQ sauce, try it, it is easier than you may think. It is also fun and nice to be able to customize it to your tastes. For instance I likes mine a bit more spicy than sweet.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I understand, don't fans tailgate at big college games or professional playoffs even when they have no hope of getting into the game? (so my nephew at Penn State says). So, we can all tailgate at the sold-out Japanese ice shows.

I'll bring the veggie beer brats....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From what I understand, don't fans tailgate at big college games or professional playoffs even when they have no hope of getting into the game? (so my nephew at Penn State says). So, we can all tailgate at the sold-out Japanese ice shows.

I'll bring the veggie beer brats....

Yes, in some cases the Washington State University tailgate is the main event since the WSU football team is not exactly playing steller these days. In fact, it's more like a four-day campout :laugh: My husband has memories of people setting up their fancy RVs for the entire weekend.

If you team can't win, at least you can drink and eat for numerous days. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ricky Dornbush's tweet is perhaps also of note.

@MaxTAaron good luck man, you earned it

@MaxTAaron
Thank you @RichardDornbush! I really appreciate the support!
8:47 PM - 6 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron/status/585287837974564864

Off topic:
Dornbush is taking a trip to Australia :) -- will be skating in a show there this month with Brendan Kerry.
http://goldenskate.com/forum/showth...gure-skaters&p=1142557&viewfull=1#post1142557

Last edited: