Post National Chat | Golden Skate

Post National Chat

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Some of us have been talking about quite a few things in various threads... I thought maybe we could center some of this talk in this specific thread

Feel free to share your thoughts about these Nationals.

For instance : where would you like Nationals to be held in the future ?

Team compositions.

Highlights ?

Live impressions for those who attended.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For starters :

What do you think about the Skate Canada's tradition to send their Junior national champions in women and men though there are several options competing already in senior that would do better at JWC.

For instance, should Skate Canada send Hetty and Uliana and not Lulu.

What about men ? Should Skate Canada send Wesley and/or Aleksa and/or Anthony and deprive Terry from a JWC spot.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For starters :

What do you think about the Skate Canada's tradition to send their Junior national champions in women and men though there are several options competing already in senior that would do better at JWC.

What about men ? Should Skate Canada send Wesley and/or Aleksa and/or Anthony and deprive Terry from a JWC spot.
If there are at least 2 spots, then junior world champion should get one. But if there is only one spot then the highest score from nationals and/or highest seasons best.

Sabsi

On the Ice
Some of us have been talking about quite a few things in various threads... I thought maybe we could center some of this talk in this specific thread

Feel free to share your thoughts about these Nationals.

For instance : where would you like Nationals to be held in the future ?

Team compositions.

Highlights ?

Live impressions for those who attended.
Do you know when Skate Canada will announce the decision about the spots?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Do you know when Skate Canada will announce the decision about the spots?
For 4CC it should be very soon but it is pretty much a no brainier based on the results and skaters with appropriate TES minimums

For worlds... It is trickier.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If there are at least 2 spots, then junior world champion should get one. But if there is only one spot then the highest score from nationals and/or highest seasons best.
Canada has two spots in pairs, men and women and I believe three in dance. For pair and dance, only those at junior nationals would be selected though. It is just with singles that we say the different options.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada has two spots in pairs, men and women and I believe three in dance. For pair and dance, only those at junior nationals would be selected though. It is just with singles that we say the different options.
Then the junior world winner should get one spot, otherwise the future stars may get discouraged and quit skating.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm not going to discuss the location (I heard it was freezing cold, so less people turned up than expected) as I didn't need to travel but watched the stream and/or lookied back on the Dailymotion videos.

Pairs and Dance aren't in question I think, even with ID-couples missing at Nationals. There is somethiong called 'body of work' and the two missing couples have proved themselves this fall. Other reasons for leaving anyone out would lead to the silver and bronze placements going to 4CC and/or World's. Pairs is obvious in srs and in jrs as well (although in jrs it is a little less clear cut)

I'm not so much thinking about medals but about spots and experience (which really are different things).
The Junior champion should get the chance as well as Anthony who couldn't go last year (when he was junior champion. I don't know the reason but he should get the chance to go now even if he medalled at srs.). I realise if Aleksa and Wesley would go, there are greater chances at maintaining two spots. But it does seem a little unfair.
At 4CC I would let Aleksa, Wesley, and Conrad (who had a redemptive FS) fight for the two spots at World's.

In women I would actually use the same reasoning: let at least the jr champion go to JWC. As it happens Kaiya is already going to YOG so 4cc isn't on the table (and I really don't know if she's got the TES minimums). She's been to JWC before anyway and managed to get two spots - she was 10th there. I would let Madeline go to 4cc and probably also to the WC. She can handle this type of international championships the best. the other 4cc places seem to be a toss-up. Bring out the dice!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not going to discuss the location (I heard it was freezing cold, so less people turned up than expected) as I didn't need to travel but watched the stream and/or lookied back on the Dailymotion videos.

Pairs and Dance aren't in question I think, even with ID-couples missing at Nationals. There is somethiong called 'body of work' and the two missing couples have proved themselves this fall. Other reasons for leaving anyone out would lead to the silver and bronze placements going to 4CC and/or World's. Pairs is obvious in srs and in jrs as well (although in jrs it is a little less clear cut)

I'm not so much thinking about medals but about spots and experience (which really are different things).
The Junior champion should get the chance as well as Anthony who couldn't go last year (when he was junior champion. I don't know the reason but he should get the chance to go now even if he medalled at srs.).
Anthony won in 2022.. so two years ago and got injured. That's why he didn't go. Last year, he was on the podium but they sent Wesley, Aleksa and the national champion Edward Vasii who is injured (his turn now).
I realise if Aleksa and Wesley would go, there are greater chances at maintaining two spots. But it does seem a little unfair.
At 4CC I would let Aleksa, Wesley, and Conrad (who had a redemptive FS) fight for the two spots at World's.

In women I would actually use the same reasoning: let at least the jr champion go to JWC. As it happens Kaiya is already going to YOG so 4cc isn't on the table (and I really don't know if she's got the TES minimums).
Ruiter doesn't have worlds TES minimums.
She's been to JWC before anyway and managed to get two spots - she was 10th there. I would let Madeline go to 4cc and probably also to the WC.
Madeline is already confirmed for 4CC... there are two spots left and really, unlike in men, it's a no brainer since very few women have been sent out and got their minimums... So it's going to be sara maude and justine.
She can handle this type of international championships the best. the other 4cc places seem to be a toss-up. Bring out the dice!

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Then the junior world winner should get one spot, otherwise the future stars may get discouraged and quit skating.
I would want to prioritize earning JGP spots over earning multiple Junior Worlds spots, so for sure send whoever stands the best chance of a high finish at Junior Worlds. When there are multiple spots available for Junior Worlds, the winner in juniors should go, for experience if not for placement.

Canadians was a bust for me this year. I can't with DailyMotion, I know that I should appreciate a free (and non-geoblocked) feed, but if there is a choice between watching skating on YouTube or on DailyMotion, I will chose YouTube every time. YouTube allows for rewinding and fast-forwarding, even while the event is live. I can join an event an hour after it starts, ff through the ice-makes and warm-ups, still have a plausibly live, unspoiled experience, and save an hour of the day for other things (like sleep!). So given the choice between Euros and Canadians, this week I ended up prioritizing Europeans. Didn't help that the Canadians feed was just generally a poorer quality picture. If Canadians had been a different week that Europeans, I no doubt would have tuned in more, despite these complaints. Sorry, only so much skating this tired old brain can accommodate in a given day. Hopefully, next year Euros and Canadians fall on different weeks.

Reverie

On the Ice
For starters :

If we go by points....Lulu outscored Hetty and Uliana at these nationals. I would like to think if Kaiya scored 180 at nationals and 172 at ACI; and keeps it together for YOG with 170+, then she is a good war horse for JWC to help keep the number of JGP spots for 2024.

rain

Record Breaker
I've really said everything I wanted to on these subjects in other threads (Canadian Figure Skating and free dance, which redirected to attendance and location), and don't want to type it all out again.

Suffice to say the singles selections are not easy, and organizers should look for locations for championships where people can walk from the venue to a decent hotel and have some food choices, or have very convenient public transportation (that's not going to be scary at night if you don't know where you're going).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Skate Canada has a robust selection criterion for each ISU Championships to undertake the selection of athletes and teams who will represent Canada at these events. Skate Canada’s selection criteria for ISU Championships can be found on skatecanada.ca. Athletes competing at the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal, Canada, will be announced at a later date.
2024 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SHANGHAI, CHINA: JANUARY 30 – FEBRUARY 4, 2024
Women
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Justine Miclette
Madeline Schizas
Men
Wesley Chiu
Conrad Orzel
Roman Sadovsky
Pair
Kelly Ann Laurin & Loucas Éthier
Lia Pereira & Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek & Maxime Deschamps
Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Soerensen
Marjorie Lajoie & Zachary Lagha
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier
2024 ISU WORLD JUNIOR FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
TAIPEI CITY, TAIPEI: FEBURARY 26 – MARCH 3, 2024
Women
Lulu Lin
Kaiya Ruiter
Men
Anthony Paradis
Aleksa Rakic
Pair
Ava Kemp & Yohnatan Elizarov
Martina Ariano Kent & Charly Laliberté-Laurent
Ice Dance
Alisa Korneva & Kieran MacDonald
Chloe Nguyen & Brendan Giang
Layla Veillon & Alexander Brandys

rain

Record Breaker
My post from the Canadian Figure Skating thread on the team selections:

Pretty much exactly what I would have done. I agree with the selections, and waiting to announce the senior worlds team. I'm sure the ones who are locks for it already know that and don't need an announcement to tell them so.

Interesting that they seem to think both Lajoie/Lagha and Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen will be doing 4CC. I'm hoping that's a good sign on Marjorie's concussion recovery. It's a little sad that the silver and bronze medallists won't get a chance at the competition, but for the two teams who missed nationals they'll need the refresher before worlds, and will want to show the skating world that they're ready so there are no question marks. Missing 4CC really hurt Piper and Paul last season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I laughed when I heard that after having seen your post. This low attendance in Calgary must have hurt the pocketbooks for Skate Canada.
Apparently the skaters didn't feel it was "real" nationals... with the people scattered in the arena...
Honestly, it shouldn't make a difference : athletes need to be ready to compete wherever... but yeah. I can guarantee you that if it is anything like SCI in Laval in 2018, it will be a much bigger audience.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Suffice to say the singles selections are not easy, and organizers should look for locations for championships where people can walk from the venue to a decent hotel and have some food choices, or have very convenient public transportation (that's not going to be scary at night if you don't know where you're going).
Agree absolutely about walking or public transit to the venue. Last year, my daughter and I planned to go to Junior Worlds in Calgary, but quickly changed our plans in favor of 4CC when it was moved to Colorado Springs. It was partly based on the event, but more on the Calgary location being in the middle of nowhere, so we would have to rent a car or I would have to drive to Calgary.

We love events at Doug Mitchell in Vancouver because of the convenient location. We have also been to Skate Canada in Kelowna; no reasonable hotels near the rink, but I can easily drive there, and I did make one trip from the hotel to the rink via public transit.

I actually considered going to nationals this year by myself, but didn't because of the rink location.