U.S. Champs Camp 2015 (what's going down); Aug. 22-26 | Golden Skate

U.S. Champs Camp 2015 (what's going down); Aug. 22-26

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't see a thread for this but it seems US Champs camp will be under way in just over a week's time !!!! Share photos and stories here as they come out.

Flashback to last year's fun!!
https://instagram.com/p/6WBt0sCmjh/

Is there a list of athletes who will attend and do videos ever leak out or ever get released? I'm a bit unfamiliar with this event/camp so any information is greatly appreciated. I'm anticipating some tweets and Instagram posts at least.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only videos we ever get from Champs Camp are sometimes the ones skaters shoot of the fun "team building" activities, and sometimes the occasional promo/media gig.

The performances of their programs for the judges/officials are COMPLETELY closed, there is no footage, and no journalists or outsiders are allowed to watch. (So no, no-one's going to be able to sneakily tell us what Josh's new LP is.)

As for who attends, I believe Champs Camp is specifically designed for those who will compete in the GP series. So if their name's on that list, they'll be there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Is there a list of athletes who will attend and do videos ever leak out or ever get released? I'm a bit unfamiliar with this event/camp so any information is greatly appreciated. I'm anticipating some tweets and Instagram posts at least.

Echoing :agree: and adding to karne's post:

Champs Camp is for those who have GP assignments. All four disciplines.

As far as I remember, it is unheard of for videos of skaters' full programs to be released or leaked.
Any video clips at all -- or even still photos -- of actual skating are rare, IIRC. As are off-ice photos of skaters in costume.

But other photos, official and otherwise, are known to show up on social media (and on IN).
Behind-the-scenes video will emerge too, but again not of full programs. Maybe a few snippets of training. More often "fun" off-ice stuff -- such as the team-building exercises (as in the Hawayek Instagram); or last year's karaoke.

Some anticipation will surround the identity of the surprise guest speaker on the first night -- someone who will be inspirational to the skaters. (After the speech, we'll see a flurry of selfies with the speaker :).)

The agenda usually includes a seminar on social media -- which usually results in another brief spike in posts from the skaters.

My favorite ShibSibs video of all time is their comedy sketch staged at Champs Camp 2013. Many skaters took part. Charlie White's performance as the star was iconic ;) :laugh:, with Max Aaron and Alex in supporting roles.

Some of the off-ice video from Champs Camp will not be seen until much later. For instance, if USFS publishes a montage in Nov of assorted skaters giving Thanksgiving greetings, the raw material prob. was recorded at Champs Camp.
The "Get to Know ..." mini-videos of skaters were used to build interest in 2015 Nats, but had been recorded months earlier at Champs Camp.

... The performances of their programs for the judges/officials are COMPLETELY closed, there is no footage, and no journalists or outsiders are allowed to watch. (So no, no-one's going to be able to sneakily tell us what Josh's new LP is.) ...

Agree that no "sneaky" ;) revelations will be possible.
But there is a mixed zone for journalists to ask questions. Some skaters might take the opportunity to announce their new music -- and/or to discuss new elements, or whatever.
One of the reporters who usually attends is Lynn Rutherford, who typically will write up some articles for IN.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here's the list of GP participants from Team USA (plus national ranking; SB ranking)

Men
Jason Brown (1; 5; Skate America, NHK Trophy)
Adam Rippon (2; 21 Skate Canada, Rostelecom Cup)
Joshua Farris (3; 6; SC, NHK)
Max Aaron (4; 15; SA, Trophee Eric Bompard)
Ross Miner (6; 25; Rostelecom Cup)
Grant Hochstein (9; 28; Cup of China)
Richard Dornbush (10; 17; COC, NHK)

Ladies
Ashley Wagner (1; 8; SC, NHK)
Gracie Gold (2; 3; SA, TEB)
Karen Chen (3; 25; COC)
Polina Edmunds (4; 13; SC, RC)
Mariah Bell (6; 60; SA)
Courtney Hicks (8; 18; COC, NHK)
Hannah Miller (9, 23; COC, RC)
Mirai Nagasu (10; 33; NHK)
Angela Wang (15; 34 TEB)

Pairs
Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim (1; 8; SA, NHK)
Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea (3; 18; SA, RC)
Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage (4; 20; COC)
Jessica Calalang & Zack Sidhu (5; 24; NHK)
Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran (6; no SB; SC, TEB)

Ice Dance
Madison Chock & Evan Bates (1; 3; SA, COC)
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani (2; 5; SC, NHK)
Madison Hubbell & Zach Donahue (3; 6; TEB, NHK)
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker (4; 19; SA, COC)

There are TBDs for all four disciplines. It will be interesting to see if they fill any of those before the start of Champs Camp with folks who aren't on the list currently or if they opt to give second spots to those who only have one.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes I could see how it would be problematic if they gave a TBD to a skater without a current spot. Selfishly I hope they give the TBD at Skate America to Alex Johnson. Loved the TSL clips of him - they really show what beautiful skating he has!

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Yes I could see how it would be problematic if they gave a TBD to a skater without a current spot. Selfishly I hope they give the TBD at Skate America to Alex Johnson. Loved the TSL clips of him - they really show what beautiful skating he has!

I love Alex, but I'm personally rooting for Tim Dolensky. He looks a lot more ready so far this season to receive a GP spot (just needs to fix how his axel opens up, and hopefulllyy get his quad salchow down). I think either him or Grant getting a second GP is most likely; no other U.S. man who doesn't have a spot already has stepped up this summer.

musicfan80

Medalist
I love Alex, but I'm personally rooting for Tim Dolensky. He looks a lot more ready so far this season to receive a GP spot (just needs to fix how his axel opens up, and hopefulllyy get his quad salchow down). I think either him or Grant getting a second GP is most likely; no other U.S. man who doesn't have a spot already has stepped up this summer.

Doesn't Tim need to qualify for Nationals through Regionals/Sectionals? No maybe that is why he doesn't have any internationals selections yet.

Slight sidebar: Cool! Another person on here who is in the DC area! :)

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Doesn't Tim need to qualify for Nationals through Regionals/Sectionals? No maybe that is why he doesn't have any internationals selections yet.

If he gets placed at an event that takes place at the same time as either regionals or sectionals he can skip one of them and receives a "bye" to nationals.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice

And yes, I skate at Ballston multiple times a week! Maybe I'll see you around!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... There are TBDs for all four disciplines. It will be interesting to see if they fill any of those before the start of Champs Camp with folks who aren't on the list currently or if they opt to give second spots to those who only have one.

Added today to Skate America:

Ross Miner
Karen Chen
Cannuscio/McManus
Donlan/Bartholomay

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/634734514770567169

So presumably Can/Man and D/B now will be joining the pilgrimage to Champs Camp.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Settlage wasted no time in whipping up an illustration featuring this year's T-shirt for Champs Camp (and Max's own hashtag ;)):

BTW, #ChampsCamp15 Instagrams will show up here:

(Already two Instagram pics from USFS that it did not tweet)​

ETA:

What seems to be a class photo:

Paul Wylie :cool: appears to be the surprise keynote speaker this year:

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Now I wanna write about this...

Something concerning a tornado, definitely. And it has to showcase the awesome team-building stuff they do. Hmm...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

GypsyFe

On the Ice
Nice to see Ashley with darker hair again - so much more attractive than the fake blonde.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley's red hair suits her, especially if she is going to continue to portray Satine in Moulin Rouge! I noticed that Courtney Hicks also went from blond to red, is this a trend among the US ladies?

As for those MIA, Mirai went to a wedding and a Sam Smith concert (along with Alexander Johnson, she posted a photo on Instagram) this past weekend so I wonder if she's going to attend the last few days - I hope she does. And for the truly MIA, Josh Farris is most likely still injured and apparently skipping Champs Camp this year.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ashley's red hair suits her, especially if she is going to continue to portray Satine in Moulin Rouge! I noticed that Courtney Hicks also went from blond to red, is this a trend among the US ladies?

As for those MIA, Mirai went to a wedding and a Sam Smith concert (along with Alexander Johnson, she posted a photo on Instagram) this past weekend so I wonder if she's going to attend the last few days - I hope she does. And for the truly MIA, Josh Farris is most likely still injured and apparently skipping Champs Camp this year.

:mad: :no: again?!?

Is it just me, or is he ridiculously injury-prone?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Maybe y'all should wait to hear from Josh, his team or USFSA before concluding he's injured?