Team USA Champs Camp (starting Tue Aug 21) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Team USA Champs Camp (starting Tue Aug 21)

skatefan12

Rinkside
The pictures I saw were of the teams practicing in a gym (like an indoor basketball court).

Lets be honest here, nothing they probably did was even close to real Rhythmic Gymnastics ;), it was just a fun little exercise and I think dorispulaski is right, they probably know of it vaguely from the Olympics that just ended.

beautiful! Thx! Lipnitskaya was rhytmic gymnast, before she started the skating seriously.

She was? She instantly rises higher in my personal rankings. I love the quality of movement in rhythmic gymnastics. I'll look at her programs in more detail.

One great thing about the Russian skaters is that Russia has a longstanding and profound excellence in four areas--ballet, artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, and skating--and skaters (and coaches) are able to draw on all of those to enrich each of those fields. In fact, I'd add a fifth area, music in general. It's not alien for a Russian skater to express music, because there's such a national identification with musical creativity from both the folk and classical fields. Russian skaters have so much to draw on that will elevate their style. It makes for wonderful possibilities for both skaters and their audiences.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She was? She instantly rises higher in my personal rankings. I love the quality of movement in rhythmic gymnastics. I'll look at her programs in more detail.

One great thing about the Russian skaters is that Russia has a longstanding and profound excellence in four areas--ballet, artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, and skating--and skaters (and coaches) are able to draw on all of those to enrich each of those fields. In fact, I'd add a fifth area, music in general. It's not alien for a Russian skater to express music, because there's such a national identification with musical creativity from both the folk and classical fields. Russian skaters have so much to draw on that will elevate their style. It makes for wonderful possibilities for both skaters and their audiences.

I agree with you dear Olimpia! The Russian are amazing in every thing what you mentioned, including the music.

off topic: I adore it, when they sing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFucbIpEFoM&feature=related It's so inspiring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3h-2r_q98&feature=related I got goosebumb
Bolshoi Theatre reopening 2011. I think you will like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2f70caMyI

Last edited:

Tammi

On the Ice
And a question about the photos put up on IN. Do the reporters interviewing them get to watch the practices? Just impatient for them to clear up the mystery surrounding the FD music for D&W.
No, they are closed sessions. Reporters are available backstage in a "mixed media zone". Not that they probably can't hear the music, but I'm guessing that no one wants to risk losing their press credential by putting something not authorized in print.

^ To me, it seems like the USFSA should want all the publicity they can get, instead of threatening people with loss of press passes if they leak some great state secret.

CAS

On the Ice
No, they are closed sessions. Reporters are available backstage in a "mixed media zone". Not that they probably can't hear the music, but I'm guessing that no one wants to risk losing their press credential by putting something not authorized in print.

There was a tweet from some journalist in reply to someone that she has learned never to come between ice dancers and their chosen time to release their music while at the same time writing articles about music others skaters are skating to. I guess that tells us that Marina isn't letting any of them release the details. They seem to know all the other ice dancers music so just by listening they should be able to deduce which two pieces belong to the two Canton teams. Guess we won't find out until their first GP events.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
At least two veteran skaters deemed this year the best Champs Camp ever:

- Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf
5 am and team Detroit is on the shuttle to the airport. I'm exhausted, sleepy, and cranky, but this was the best #champscamp yet!
4:04 AM - 26 Aug 12

- Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
Hands down the best champs camp ever. Thanks @USFigureSkating for all of your hard work. #ChampsCamp2012
9:22 AM - 26 Aug 12

To me, it seems like the USFSA should want all the publicity they can get, instead of threatening people with loss of press passes if they leak some great state secret.
Seems that USFSA is encouraging the skaters to tweet [although presumably only non-classified content ;)]:

Richard Dornbush ‏@RichardDornbush
Be prepared for an agglomeration of tweets from @USFigureSkating athletes. I have a feeling that Media Seminar hit home hard with some...
8:59 AM - 26 Aug 12

aftertherain

Record Breaker
THX! But I really didn't think, that the RG is a known sport in the USA.

I'm pretty sure most people who know what it is have just watched it during the Olympics (like me!). I remember being amazed by Evgenia Kanaeva during the 2008 Beijing Olympics as well as in these London Olympics. Good on her for being a back-to-back Olympic gold medalist!
I especially liked her ball routine during the 2011 World Championships qualifications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkD7ApsywiM

I also like Anna Bessonova, a two-time Olympic bronze medalist, who actually isn't Russian, but Ukrainian.
2009 World Cup (Ribbon EF) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgfgfcyF23Q

And that concludes the extent of my knowledge of rhythmic gymnastics. Ahahahaha. :laugh:

If you look in our Olympics thread down in a lower section, Serious Business put in a lot of links and gave tremendous commentary, which I found very helpful as I watched online later. I think you'll enjoy it, and I'd love to see any remarks you feel like adding.

I agree with you that Kanaeva was wonderful. Was Bessonova the one who won this year's bronze? If so, I saw her and, like you, I was very impressed. Those of us following the Olympics thread also found the Korean gymnast, an up-and-coming youngster, tremendously appealing and impressive. And then there was the Group Event! My favorite there was the Italian team, who drew on their own operatic heritage and did their routine to music from Rossini's William Tell.

All in all, a mind-boggling sport, rising fast in my esteem. The only thing I wish they'd change is that ultra-pulled-back hairstyle. All the girls are so beautiful, but you can hardly tell, because their hairdos are giving them facelifts.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf

5 am and team Detroit is on the shuttle to the airport. I'm exhausted, sleepy, and cranky, but this was the best #champscamp yet!

Maia provided proof:

Maia Shibutani ‏@MaiaShibutani

Sleepy boys! Got 'em again! @CharlieaWhite @jeremyabbottpcf @alexshibutani http://instagr.am/p/OzPYRGS7l4/

Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf

Bahahaha I'll get you Maia “@MaiaShibutani: Sleepy boys! Got em again! @CharlieaWhite @jeremyabbottpcf @alexshibutani http://instagr.am/p/OzPYRGS7l4/

Adam Rippon isn't exactly bright and bushy tailed either:

Adam Rippon ‏@Adaripp

3:45am airport shuttle swag http://instagr.am/p/OzrKd2vY5w/

Tammi

On the Ice
^ To me, it seems like the USFSA should want all the publicity they can get, instead of threatening people with loss of press passes if they leak some great state secret.
Not saying they don't want the publicity, but it seems that USFS leaves it up to the skaters/coaches to decide on when they want to release their music choices. Wasn't an article pulled off the USFS site because a coach didn't agree with publishing the information before camp? Most press people that we've spoken with have asked if it's okay to print the music selections and I think those involved with covering skating understand that it can be a touchy subject for some (whatever those coaches reasons are for treating it like a "state secret" as you put it). I definitely didn't mean to accuse USFS of threatening anyone, just that a reporter who leaks info that they know someone doesn't want out there yet, may jeopardize a future relationship with that skater. My apologies that I wasn't more clear in my original post.

Last edited:

skatefan12

Rinkside
Not saying they don't want the publicity, but it seems that USFS leaves it up to the skaters/coaches to decide on when they want to release their music choices. Wasn't an article pulled off the USFS site because a coach didn't agree with publishing the information before camp? Most press people that we've spoken with have asked if it's okay to print the music selections and I think those involved with covering skating understand that it can be a touchy subject for some (whatever those coaches reasons are for treating it like a "state secret" as you put it). I definitely didn't mean to accuse USFS of threatening anyone, just that a reporter who leaks info that they know someone doesn't want out there yet, may jeopardize a future relationship with that skater. My apologies that I wasn't more clear in my original post.

And if you think about it, music choice is the last bit of complete freedom the skaters have. They have so many required elements and sequences that music is the one thing that they can pretty much choose themselves (with the exception of required SD music that has to fit the dance style). Seriously, just let them have that at least.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If you look in our Olympics thread down in a lower section, Serious Business put in a lot of links and gave tremendous commentary, which I found very helpful as I watched online later. I think you'll enjoy it, and I'd love to see any remarks you feel like adding.

I agree with you that Kanaeva was wonderful. Was Bessonova the one who won this year's bronze? If so, I saw her and, like you, I was very impressed. Those of us following the Olympics thread also found the Korean gymnast, an up-and-coming youngster, tremendously appealing and impressive. And then there was the Group Event! My favorite there was the Italian team, who drew on their own operatic heritage and did their routine to music from Rossini's William Tell.

All in all, a mind-boggling sport, rising fast in my esteem. The only thing I wish they'd change is that ultra-pulled-back hairstyle. All the girls are so beautiful, but you can hardly tell, because their hairdos are giving them facelifts.

I think Bessonova is retired. The 3th was Charkashyna from Belarussia. I like their hair. :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Davis/White submitted their 2012-13 program music for their Team USA bio and it's been published online which makes it public information; the Shibutanis' bio still has "TBA" listed for their music.