2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat

nocturnalis

Medalist
Another thing about holds: a team should not look like they are about to twizzle or have a non-touching step sequence in their free dance 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Okay, having watched all the medalists now...

- I hate Chock/Bates short dance, but I actually quite like their FD. I think the end needs a bit more work. They have some cool elements that are effectively timed to the music.

- I like Paul/Islam's short dance, but I hate their FD. I really cannot believe they let DL give them that program. (It's hard for me to believe they chose the music, anyway. They seem to have better taste than that.)

- I liked C/McM's short dance, and I really really liked their FD. They have great expression and memorable elements. If they nail their twizzles (towards the end of their program, too) to that section of music, it will be an awesome moment. I think they need to add some more oomph to those final three flourishes at the very end to capture the music, but still a strong FD for them. Ugh, we have too many good teams right now! It's a good problem to have, I know, but still...

I agree with most of what you said, except:

1. I didn't hate C/B's SD, per se, but it wasn't my favorite.
2. I don't hate P/I's FD either, but it's kind of generic and definitely 50 (thousand) shades of D & L. It is 100% their signature Romantic Scmaltzy Filler Material That Let's Face It You Will Not Remember Or Ever Rewatch.

On the topic of the disturbingly similar FDs that D/L's teams have: just because it worked for one team, in one program (P/C's Mozart), does not mean it will work for every team and program. There are ways to do a soft, romantic FD without it being boring filler material (see H/B's R&J). But there are other styles out there that the judges will like! Soft-And-Romantic is not the only type of program that will be received well! Dubreil and Lauzon need to learn this because eventually, the P/C-type programs will go out of style and, bottom line, they are going to lose all their students if that is all they can do and the judges want something else. Like, what if dubstep became the thing in ice dance? There would be no hope for them.

Not that it would ever happen :laugh2:, but that is what could happen if romantic schmaltz went out of style soon. If they can't do anything else, their students will flock to somebody who can (just like H/D and P/I did).

Last edited:

nocturnalis

Medalist
Yup D/L's choreography is going to backfire hard if they keep doing the same thing. They are going to do get a reputation for one style of skating. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but until they can show anything different, it will stick. Luckily this is the year to make mistakes. Last year, skaters had to present themselves as competitors and next year it's gearing up for the Olympics.

Astrid56

Final Flight
C/B's FD, choreographically, flows very well and some movements were beautifully done to the music. It looks a bit raw ... unpolished but they did well for a first performance. This music is very challenging to skate to - the highs and the lows require subtlety, organic sensitivity. Once, they have captured the muances of the music, the program will be powerful. They did a wonderful job with 'An American in Paris'_ also a difficult piece to dance to. This FD will get better in time. Here's the video of their FD _ https://youtu.be/ba-ee3g36tI

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I could not disagree more. I loved C&M's zombie program, but not the beginning part of this FD.

LOL I don't like the beginning or the entire last third. That's the first initial impression. On a positive note, it was skated with genuine emotional maturity. Evan never gets credit for it, but he is such a better actor-on-ice than Charlie ever was.
[ETA: Oops, I thought you were talking about C/B not C/M. I haven't watched C/M yet. All this alphabet couple soup can get confusing!]

Dubreil and Lauzon's choreography is the equivalent of vaseline on a camera lens. Montreal Mush. Sigh.

Oh my. It's going to be The Battle Of the Arty Farties this year. We may expire from all the Good Taste.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Yeah, totally shallow on my part, but the pink was really distracting on an otherwise really beautiful dress!

I don't feel C/B's FD yet, but can appreciate the technical improvements, namely the twizzles (the lunge was pretty cool). The lifts were great as always.

P/I = sigh. I feel like going to Montreal and the programs have made them more Virtue/Moir lite -- all the romance without the power. Why is D/L so into these soft and romantic programs?!

I pretty much agree with your comments Mrs. P. C&B are technically much better than the rest of this group, but I don't like the pink showing thru on Chock's dress as it really is distracting. I never thought that P&I were strong skaters, pretty but IMO Islam in particular is weak.

TMC

Record Breaker
I loved C/M's free so much, I even got a little teary :)

Due to logistical reasons, I was watching it on my ipad in a department store, sitting on a sofa near the changing rooms while my husband was trying on clothes. He came out and almost ran to me, looking all worried, asking if I was okay :laugh:

Layback11

Record Breaker
LOL I don't like the beginning or the entire last third. That's the first initial impression. On a positive note, it was skated with genuine emotional maturity. Evan never gets credit for it, but he is such a better actor-on-ice than Charlie ever was.
[ETA: Oops, I thought you were talking about C/B not C/M. I haven't watched C/M yet. All this alphabet couple soup can get confusing!]

Dubreil and Lauzon's choreography is the equivalent of vaseline on a camera lens. Montreal Mush. Sigh.

Oh my. It's going to be The Battle Of the Arty Farties this year. We may expire from all the Good Taste.

You mean, all the odd packaging choices? The spoken voicovers? The deep storylines? The avant-garde music choices? The strange costumes that supposedly have some deep meaning?

Blegh.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was very happy for Osmond!!! A great comeback, wishing her a good season. The new Finnish skater Karoliina Luhtonen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmqDdlCekI

really liked her skating style and flow, although all jumps were not there, yet. Hopefully she will compete at Finlandia Trophy, too?

Leonova had a pretty dress, I just hope that she would have some curls in her ponytail. Now it looks awfully thin...

Astrid56

Final Flight

Yes, Evan is!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max said he will do some AC/DC later today.

:) Max Aaron

Oh hell yes. Is this the ex? Will the ex be streamed/archived also?! I need this.

The gala is starting NOW .... 15 minutes early??? (if I am not mistaken).

ETA: So far, "only" the ceremony for the Fritz Geiger Trophy (which I enjoyed).​

The live stream is back up.

Alex D, thanks for the scoop re Max. (And for all your other Nebelhorn stuff.)

ETA: And thanks to gallavich for your post below with the skate order for the gala.​

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Not a fan but yeah she really did very well. Her PCS is too low for what she has shown out there. Maybe because of the hideous music cuts? Judges maybe like: :eek::eek::eek:

Glad she bounced back. Agree, the music is not helping - insipid ballad - no highs and lows to work with. I thought she was slow and heavy. Maybe a little worried after yesterday.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh wow, I'm so glad I was just net surfing. I got the time difference all mixed up and thought it started in two hours. :shocked: Just in time though, whew!!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, why are Kailani and Julian skating? They're 8th and 9th, but the 7th place people aren't skating?

ETA: Not complaining whatsoever since I'm a huge Kailani fan...