2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
WHAAAT???!!! I thought it was on Sunday! :eek:

Drat!!! I wanted to see what Eladj had up his sleeve (I always love his gala routines!)

I'm all annoyed now!

I take it it wasn't broadcast on the livestream then, given that the last videos in the archive are from the Free Dance.

Oh well, at least now I don't have to hurry as much with catching up on the Ladies FS and the Free Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

Both performances are on Youtube. Enjoy!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are some of the Gala performances on Youtube, it's in the video thread, CaroLiza_fan!

Rissa

Record Breaker
I just had time to catch up on Men's Free.

I really liked Aaron's, I think it's the first time I REALLY liked Aaron's program. His Nessun Dorma is awful in my opinion but he pulls off the black swan well. The bombastic energetic music suits him well. He will never be a classical skater but if he wants to do classical programs anyway, this is the way to go.

Eladj Balde was great, he fully deserved the first place. To me he's a more engaging performer than both Patrick and Nam (don't throw stones please, just personal preference!) so I hope to see him more often.

Oh Florent. The signs of genius in that program and the empty empty choreography between some of the jumps. There was so much of just skating around the rink.

Florent choreographed his programs himself and it shows. I wouldn't be so disappointed about the empty choreo if I didn't know what he was capable of...but maybe that ship has sailed.

So that's why. Geez man, get yourself a choreographer and don't let that talent go to complete waste. I loved his music choice, it was certainly different and when he's into his performance he's amazing. The Men's scene could use this sort of uniqueness.

I really enjoyed Konstantin too. Medleys usually have pretty bad music cuts but this was actually well thought out and he performed it well.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry to disappoint you again, but it was streamed! Eladj was a star, he even had an encore!

Typical! Well, it's my own fault for not watching everything live, as I'm sure Debbi would have done a plug for it (or, at least, I hope she did!)

He always is a star in the galas, so I'm not surprised they gave him an encore! ;) :biggrin:

I am very sorry that you missed it, I probably forgot adding the time at the first post ;( Yesterday was very busy too, so I could not be around here much. The Gala was recorded for a German TV station, so its definitely not lost and might appear some time later this year,

Don't worry about it. It was my fault for assuming that it would be on the Sunday.

What channel was recording it? Because if it is one of the Free To Air channels available on Astra 19.2E, we will be able to get it. ;)

Both performances are on Youtube. Enjoy!

Thank you! I will!

There are some of the Gala performances on Youtube, it's in the video thread, CaroLiza_fan!

Thank you, karne. I've been avoiding the video thread because the links are ordered by the results. But, once I get the competitions finished, I'll be straight in there.

By the way, thank you for the PBP's for the Men's FS. The comments you made were very witty, and really added to the enjoyment! They were a real tonic for somebody who was getting very angry with their browser constantly crashing!

Perhaps we should make all competitions take place at 3am Aussie time...!

And while I am on the topic of the comments during the Men's FS, I enjoyed the discussion of how to tell the difference between Canadian and American accents.

Although some can be tricky, I don't normally have much difficulty identifying Canadians. Because, the Candian accent is basically a Northern Ireland accent which has had a slight American twang applied to it! ;) :biggrin:

(Well, it's hardly surprising that that is the case, given how many people from over here have emigrated to Canada over the past couple of centuries!)

Right, time for the Ladies FS...

CaroLiza_fan

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I know it's the first competition of the season but senior ladies was incredibly underwhelming. If this what's to come this season, then i am scared. Looks like I'll be following the juniors a lot more who are more talented and have more depth. Another example of why age is just a number.

Leonova is not even B team. How can it be not underwhelming if no one from top 6 Russian ladies was there?

Alex D

Record Breaker
Don't worry about it. It was my fault for assuming that it would be on the Sunday.

What channel was recording it? Because if it is one of the Free To Air channels available on Astra 19.2E, we will be able to get it. ;)

And while I am on the topic of the comments during the Men's FS, I enjoyed the discussion of how to tell the difference between Canadian and American accents.

Although some can be tricky, I don't normally have much difficulty identifying Canadians. Because, the Candian accent is basically a Northern Ireland accent which has had a slight American twang applied to it! ;) :biggrin:

(Well, it's hardly surprising that that is the case, given how many people from over here have emigrated to Canada over the past couple of centuries!)

Right, time for the Ladies FS...

CaroLiza_fan

Its "Bayerischer Rundfunk"

I don't know yet, when it will be shown, it could very well be as late as around Christmas but I will try to get an answer for that if its important.

As for "accents" haha, its so funny actually. One thing I love so much about meeting people is their accents. Aussies, Canadians, French, Russians, US Americans ... but its not only the accent, people use different words as well.

I hate my accent though, lol people say its cute or something, but if I listen to the interviews that I recorded, I would just love to mute my own voice.:laugh2:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I hate my accent though, lol people say its cute or something, but if I listen to the interviews that I recorded, I would just love to mute my own voice.:laugh2:

lol lol lol

That's EXACTLY how I feel about my accent. My online friends, who I'm talking to sometimes using Skype or something, always say that my russian accent is 'very cool' and even 'sexy' :)rolleye:). But I HATE HATE HATE it. That's why I NEVER am re-watching videos with me where I'm saying something :laugh2: Never. Even my wedding videos, where I'm obviously talking in russian :hopelessness:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I think I heard that Newfoundland has a number of Irish descents (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.....) and of course Quebec is largely French-speaking, so they have more of French accents in some way.

I'm not Canadian. I'm American, but in the past like, 16 months I started learn and pay attention more the different "accents." Like some different providences seem to have some differing accents. And I don't know if this is true, but I heard interviews for two players that the Washington Capitals drafted this year and both were from Saskatchewan (Yes I had to look up the spelling) and I could hear a bit of a similar accent that REALLY was more noticeable when I heard them say words like, "about." So I'm not sure if it's a similar accent for that providence or not.....

I feel so sophisticated or something right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh florent......awesome costumes..... boring programs.... when he gets a jump, it's so nicely done... straight position, easy landing... please get a choreographer ....there are glimpses of excellence in his programs.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Its "Bayerischer Rundfunk"

I don't know yet, when it will be shown, it could very well be as late as around Christmas but I will try to get an answer for that if its important.

Thank you. Yep, we can get BR. But, I'm sure there will be videos appearing online long before Christmas! 😉

As for "accents" haha, its so funny actually. One thing I love so much about meeting people is their accents. Aussies, Canadians, French, Russians, US Americans ... but its not only the accent, people use different words as well.

Oh, tell me about it! Whenever I am talking to people, I often use local dialect without even noticing that I am. So, I have to consciously think about what I am saying when talking to people from other places. Including on here!

But, I agree with you. I like listening to different accents as well.

lol lol lol

That's EXACTLY how I feel about my accent. My online friends, who I'm talking to sometimes using Skype or something, always say that my russian accent is 'very cool' and even 'sexy' :)rolleye:). But I HATE HATE HATE it. That's why I NEVER am re-watching videos with me where I'm saying something :laugh2: Never. Even my wedding videos, where I'm obviously talking in russian :hopelessness:

I'm the same. I don't like listening to recordings of myself either. In fact, I don't even like talking on the phone.

But (I'm having to word this carefully seeing as I know you're male as well!), there are a lot of (female) Russian accents that I find very sexy. Not naming any names, like, but you can probably guess that a certain skater from Udmurtia is amongst them... 😉 😃

Just to balance things up with our American members, another person who I think has a very sexy accent is Ana Matronic from the Scissor Sisters. She's from Portland, Oregon. And I have often wondered if there are any nice figure skaters from Oregon...

(And before somebody replies, yes, I know fine well that Tonya is not just from Oregon, but is actually from Portland as well! But, I meant skaters that are within my age range... 😉 )

Canadians have a Northern Ireland accent?:confused:

Yeah, doesn't sound the same at all? For me as a non-native of English Canadian sounds exactly like US English until they say words like 'about'.

Well, as we all know, there is no such thing as a national accent. There are lots of regional variations. Like, the variation in accents even in a small country like mine is huge.

But, to my ear anyway, a lot of Canadian accents sound like a mild Northern Ireland accent (as opposed to the broad Belfast accent, the broad Derry/Londonderry accent, or the almost Scottish accent that you get around Ballymoney) with an American twang added to it.

(In case you are wondering, I have one of those mild accents that I am talking about!)

Just as an annecdote, a lot of Northern Ireland people lose their accent as soon as they leave our shores. Like, golfer Graeme McDowell and singer Nadine Coyle are the most famous examples.

Jenna McCorkell, on the other hand, hasn't lost her accent at all. And I for one love the fact that, after living with Jenna for so long, Kevin van der Perren now speaks English with a Northern Ireland accent!!!

Boys, but it is amazing the direction the conversation in some threads can go!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well I think I heard that Newfoundland has a number of Irish descents (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.....) and of course Quebec is largely French-speaking, so they have more of French accents in some way.

I'm not Canadian. I'm American, but in the past like, 16 months I started learn and pay attention more the different "accents." Like some different providences seem to have some differing accents. And I don't know if this is true, but I heard interviews for two players that the Washington Capitals drafted this year and both were from Saskatchewan (Yes I had to look up the spelling) and I could hear a bit of a similar accent that REALLY was more noticeable when I heard them say words like, "about." So I'm not sure if it's a similar accent for that providence or not.....

I feel so sophisticated or something right now.

Newfoundland is full of descendants of Irish and Scottish immigrants. The simple reason is that that is where the ships landed, and when the people got off, many couldn't be bothered travelling any further! :laugh:

It is really fascinating when you pay attention to people's accents. You start to notice nuances, and similarities. And if you get really immersed in it, you can work out things about people's backgrounds just from their accents.

For example, there is a female sportsperson who represents England. Now she has lived her whole life in London, and has always played for teams based in London. But, she has a broad Southern Irish accent. Admittedly, she does have an Irish surname. But, given that she has lived her whole life in London, you would expect her to have a London accent. But she doesn't. So, from that, I deduced that she grew up in a part of London that has a large Irish community.

To check my theory, I looked up Wikipedia to find out where exactly she was from. I clicked through to that area's page, and found out that, sure enough, a relatively large percentage of the population there described themselves in the last census as "Irish"!

You know when you were writing those examples of how Canadians pronounce certain words and how Americans pronounce certain words. Well, the versions that you were saying that Canadians use were EXACTLY how we pronounce those words.

(By the way, I never know how to spell Saskatchewan either! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Newfoundland is full of descendants of Irish and Scottish immigrants. The simple reason is that that is where the ships landed, and when the people got off, many couldn't be bothered travelling any further! :laugh:

It is really fascinating when you pay attention to people's accents. You start to notice nuances, and similarities. And if you get really immersed in it, you can work out things about people's backgrounds just from their accents.

For example, there is a female sportsperson who represents England. Now she has lived her whole life in London, and has always played for teams based in London. But, she has a broad Southern Irish accent. Admittedly, she does have an Irish surname. But, given that she has lived her whole life in London, you would expect her to have a London accent. But she doesn't. So, from that, I deduced that she grew up in a part of London that has a large Irish community.

To check my theory, I looked up Wikipedia to find out where exactly she was from. I clicked through to that area's page, and found out that, sure enough, a relatively large percentage of the population there described themselves in the last census as "Irish"!

You know when you were writing those examples of how Canadians pronounce certain words and how Americans pronounce certain words. Well, the versions that you were saying that Canadians use were EXACTLY how we pronounce those words.

(By the way, I never know how to spell Saskatchewan either! :laugh: )

CaroLiza_fan

Yeah I did notice it! Like The way people from the UK and Canada say "process" are basically the same.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
haha not to kill your fun darlings... but Canada is a very big country.... and immigration is varied in its very different regions.... there's not really a "canadian accent" there are SEVERAL ;) you can't compare people from Newfoundland to Alberta etc etc... even from town to town... people in Montreal do not speak French the same way as people in Quebec city.. and these towns are only 2 hours apart in car... ;) it is indeed a country with a lot of diversity

rvi5

On the Ice
Newfoundland is full of descendants of Irish and Scottish immigrants. The simple reason is that that is where the ships landed, and when the people got off, many couldn't be bothered travelling any further! :laugh
Not just Newfoundland, but the Maritime provinces in general. After the Acadians were evicted because of the British/France war, parts of the vacated area named Acadia were resettled by Scottish immigrants. They renamed that area to "New Scotland" which eventually evolved into Nova Scotia. Some of the Acadians were deported back to France, while others migrated south to the Louisiana area of the USA.

haha not to kill your fun darlings... but Canada is a very big country.... and immigration is varied in its very different regions.... there's not really a "canadian accent" there are SEVERAL ;) you can't compare people from Newfoundland to Alberta etc etc... even from town to town... people in Montreal do not speak French the same way as people in Quebec city.. and these towns are only 2 hours apart in car... ;) it is indeed a country with a lot of diversity
Yes, it would be like assuming all Americans say Y'all with a southern accent.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not just Newfoundland, but the Maritime provinces in general. After the Acadians were evicted because of the British/France war, parts of the vacated area named Acadia were resettled by Scottish immigrants. They renamed that area to "New Scotland" which eventually evolved into Nova Scotia. Some of the Acadians were deported back to France, while others migrated south to the Louisiana area of the USA.

Yes, it would be like assuming all Americans say Y'all, with a southern accent.

they don't? lol :) JK

mrrice

Record Breaker

You're right about Canada not really having "an" accent. When our group toured Canada it was like two different Countries between Vancouver and Quebec. Calgary was kind of in the middle. Vancouver was the closest to an "American" accent that we the heard. Quebec was basically like being in Paris without the tower. I did love it when people when people would say "Ah" at the end of a question. It used to make us all laugh.

In California, we'd say, "Ah, these fries are good!" In Canada, we heard, "These fries are really good, Ah?" We loved it!! I'm sure they thought we were weird because we would just smile at them like geeks. We sang at the Calgary Stampede and when you're from the US most of the Cowboys have southern accents. It was weird to hear them say, "Aboat" and "Ah" Instead of Y'all and Howdy.

Last edited: