Jason Brown`s future | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown`s future

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
"he doesn't have hard transitions like the top guys"

Um, what. That is totally false. It's true he could get better speed and deep edges, but then you can look at everyone else and say they lack his flexibility.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
When we compare a skater to the BEST OF THE BEST (Hanyu and Chan) it shows that his potential is very high indeed. :agree:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always thought Jason's transitions were amongst the best and certainly some of the most creative in the field.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I've always thought Jason's transitions were amongst the best and certainly some of the most creative in the field.

Yes! Even if I don't like his music all the time, or think his programs are not my taste, his transitions and choreography are always interesting. Never boring, never easy.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
This is the first Jason Brown program I ever watched and it's still the one I love best. This isn't my favorite performance but it does have music.

So, am I missing something? Because his edges look pretty deep to me here and he seems to get power out of them. Am I wrong? He doesn't look like Patrick Chan as to flow, but then again, he uses his whole body to execute this choreography in a way I haven't yet seen from Chan (admittedly I haven't seen that much of Chan, so if anyone wants to change my mind about that, feel free!).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmWq-1g4_w

mrrice

Record Breaker
With all this talk I've been saying about Patrick Chan and his deep edges. I forgot to mention Johnny Freakin' Weir!! Unlike Shawn Sawyer and Jason Brown who have great dance ability, are very flexible, and have what some would call shallow edges. Johnny Weir's blades have the same thunderous sound that Patrick has. So, I guess being flexible and having strong dance ability doesn't mean you can't have deep edges as well.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jason's inspirational skating is so much more valuable than is quantifiable in any scoring system. I'm going to rely on, celebrate and enthusiastically agree with the following:

--quote is from wordsworthgirl in thread "Jason Brown's Future Prospects 2.0"

Finally, that venue to let Jason's talent soar and his spirit shine, for now and the future, is GPs, Nationals, Worlds and Olympics to come. He has more than earned his place for many years to come.

Hey, Larkin, thanks so much for bringing back my quote about Jason! I still feel this way, even more today! :)

TMC

Record Breaker
I wonder - I haven't seen many 10s handed out for Transitions. Jason got one at Worlds last season. Wonder if any other male skaters have managed to get one of those?

(I'm not being sarcastic, although reading my question above it might sound like it :laugh: I'm genuinely interested!)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I can't understand you saying Jason's 3A is inconsistent. That is not true. I haven't seen him doing mistakes on the 3A either in the short or the long program. Yes, there is a completely different result for the second 3A in the LP. I noticed the second 3A is successful mostly if he does it in the first half. Apparently when he is tired he can't fully rotate the 3A.
About the quad, I think it is quite similar of how he acquired the 3A. 3A was not consistent 2 years ago. Riverdance was the first program where at least the first 3A was great.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
"he doesn't have hard transitions like the top guys"

Um, what. That is totally false. It's true he could get better speed and deep edges, but then you can look at everyone else and say they lack his flexibility.

Take a look at Hanyu's transitions. Under what planet do you find a single judge who thinks Jason brown has harder transitions than Hanyu. Look at the 3As. Look at the 4Ts. Look at most of the jumps. Um, what is what?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
When we compare a skater to the BEST OF THE BEST (Hanyu and Chan) it shows that his potential is very high indeed. :agree:

Oh, Jason is only behind a few guys in PCS. There's no doubt about that. But to get to the next level, he cannot rely on his PCS especially when it's against the likes of Hanyu and Chan and to a lesser extent Denis and Javier. They are doing harder programs with multiple quads.
His PCS can only save him from the Maxs Aarons of the world, but not really (see Skate America)

People are singing excessive praise for his PCS as if his was the best in the world and would give him 5 points advantage over the world medalists. That's the problem.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Take a look at Hanyu's transitions. Under what planet do you find a single judge who thinks Jason brown has harder transitions than Hanyu.

Jason's 3Lutz entrance in the SP is harder than anyone else's. Hanyu has a more difficult Quad entrance in the LP. You can give and take, they are quite equal overall.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh, Jason is only behind a few guys in PCS. There's no doubt about that. But to get to the next level, he cannot rely on his PCS especially when it's against the likes of Hanyu and Chan and to a lesser extent Denis and Javier. They are doing harder programs with multiple quads.
His PCS can only save him from the Maxs Aarons of the world, but not really (see Skate America)

People are singing excessive praise for his PCS as if his was the best in the world and would give him 5 points advantage over the world medalists. That's the problem.

1. I guess since he's currently trying to master the 4T in his program, he already knows he needs to it to compete at the top.

2. At WTT he scored 176.76 in the FS, with TES of 87.55, without a quad, with both 3As in the first half. Yes, Hanyu beat him by a total of 15 points. But he beat Mura, Han Yan, Voronov, Kovtun, and Nam, not only in total score, but in TES. All of those guys did at least one quad; Mura, Han Yan, and Kovtun did two. He scored 5-7 points higher than all of them in TES. He scored 10 points higher in total than #3 Mura and nearly 20 points higher than #7 Nam. His total score for that event of 263.17 puts him at #7 on the personal best list, behind only Chan, Hanyu, Ten, Machida, Takahashi and Fernandez. So clearly, he can beat quite a few people without a quad, and it's not solely due to PCS. And lest you say it only happened because the others screwed up, well I'd point out that screw ups are pretty frequent, and that his personal best is higher than the personal bests of all the competitors at Skate America. ;)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jason's 3Lutz entrance in the SP is harder than anyone else's. Hanyu has a more difficult Quad entrance in the LP. You can give and take, they are quite equal overall.

You are kidding me, right? You're comparing a 3Lutz entrance to quad and 3As? Hanyu's 3As have the hardest entrance and exit. Full stop. Give and take, and then they are equal?
This is the problem with Jason's supporters. They are so blinded by Jason's charisma that they can't see he's not there yet.
Personally, I think he's 4th or 5th best in PCS in the current field. He's a good skater, not that great.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are kidding me, right? You're comparing a 3Lutz entrance to quad and 3As? Hanyu's 3As have the hardest entrance and exit. Full stop. Give and take, and then they are equal?
This is the problem with Jason's supporters. They are so blinded by Jason's charisma that they can't see he's not there yet.
Personally, I think he's 4th or 5th best in PCS in the current field. He's a good skater, not that great.

That may be your opinion, but the opinion, as Papagena has pointed out, is not supported by the judge's scores. I don't understand the leap from comparing Jason's entrance to Yuzu's entrance, to the conclusion that he is fourth or fifth in the current field in PCS.

But I also don't understand the statement that, as a Jason fan, my high opinion of Jason is based on the fact that I am "blinded" by his charisma. Well, maybe, but also his footwork, transitions, spins, musicality, choreography .... Indeed everything but jumps. YMMV. But I don't need glasses.:cool:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

You have made the absolute statement that Hanyu's 3A has the hardest entrance and exit. What, exactly, are you basing that on? Are you speaking from personal experience? If not, how do you know?

By the way, while I'm a Jason supporter, my question has nothing to do with that.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I think Mrs. P had seen Yuzu's live and she is more knowledgeable, she can also provide some input.

Below are some from an old thread regarding skaters signature moves.

Post #65
makaihime said:
Spread eagle into a one footed back counter entry to a 3A+2T hands over head (into the second half of the program)

I'd say Hanyu's signature moves are his 3A's in general. Difficult entries, insane combos, and its all into the second half of his programs.

Post #74
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Of course, none of these are as difficult as Hanyu's counter obviously, since he goes directly off the turn up into the axel with no change of edge or stepping from his right foot to his left foot.

So far Hanyu is the first and only skater that did spread eagle-3A-spread eagle (in two competitions including the recent Autumn Classic both received +3 GOE)

A collection of Hanyu's 3As in competition with GOE results.

Men's 3A statistic (1) attempt with GOE+ / total attempt, success % (2) GOE breakdown

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
You are kidding me, right? You're comparing a 3Lutz entrance to quad and 3As? Hanyu's 3As have the hardest entrance and exit. Full stop.

Um, great. A program's transitions are not judged just based upon the difficulty of transitions into your 3A. And, guess what, Jason's second 3A in his LP this year DOES have just as hard of a transition into it as Hanyu's.