2015 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

noidont

Final Flight
Love Radionova's dress and her program, which is a rare case of trainwreck-turned-masterpiece. I think this is just a season opener fluke.

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
I agree, and the < for the combo doesn't really hurt her score, the only real "problem" I see is the edge call on the lutz.
Can she do a 3L-3L? 3A, 3L-3L and 3F would be my "dream" setup for Mao in the SP. It was a great performance from Mao, great music selection, dress and everything. The axel looked very very good. To me she's better than ever.

Yes she has shown 3L-3L back in 2010 with her Tango SP. I'm all for Mao going for the 3Lz since she should have no problems winning even with edge calls. She has to do it to shake out the muscle memory of the flutz.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
MAO <3 this program is everything I needed but didn't know I needed. It was amazing! I am in love. That's it.
Rika was lovely as well. Love her energy and her attack. Her enthusiasm really gets me and makes me wanna cheer.
Zijun is so beautiful to watch. A wonderful program and music. I really hope she can fix her underrotations a bit because it is hammering her :(
Loved Elena as well. As Besp commentators say she really has grown into a supermodel. It was a gutsy skate, her spins are wonderful and her interpretation really was touching i felt.
Anna really has hard falls when she falls. But I enjoyed her program as well. Nice choice of music, still a bit wooden on the emotion.

I love them all :) :cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That thread and not one mention in it (that I've seen) of Anna P's coach being told on this forum time after time to smile. :)

Don't whether your post is intended to be a joke or not, Sam-S.

In any case, the Kori thread did have discussion of varying opinions re Anna P's coach.

I think you are implying the possibility of a double standard, and speaking only for myself, I do see a double standard that makes some of the posts in the Kori thread harder for me to swallow.
That said, opinions in the thread did vary.

andyjo24

Medalist
Mao - Good comeback skate. I liked the program, but she appeared to a bit slow today (especially when going into the 3lutz). People have been saying that she improved her edge based on practices, but it appears that today, she went back to her old technique. The lutz was 100% off the inside edge. Even the British commentator called it a flip in slow-mo replay by accident. I'm glad that she's back!

Rika - Her program is SO unique and entertaining. I love the zombie concept. Both Rika and Akiko deserve a big applause! She also finally rotated the 3F-3T. It also helps a lot that she's very consistent (I don't have to worry that she'll make mistakes. I can just relax and watch her program)

Courtney - Surprised to see her in 3rd, especially with no 3-3, but she was pretty solid. I'm not a fan of the program, but her jumps are so wild! I'm glad she's beginning to make a statement and hope she maintains the momentum in the free.

Anna - She is so pretty! Too bad about the 3-3 combo and botched spin, but it's a good thing she didn't implode like she usually does when an element doesn't go right. I'm glad that she was able to control her emotions and not cry about the mistakes. And of course, I was super glad to see her coach smile (Her coach is so strict but attractive. Totally my type. :eek:: Woops. Sorry to go off topic.).

Elena - My goodness. She really matured during the summer! :shocked: It's a shame that she couldn't get her jumps together and I don't like the actual program, but she is a tough girl, so it is too early to write her off. It will be interesting to see in which direction she heads this season. I hope she doesn't follow Yulia's path. Yikes.

Karen - She's fast and has impactful presentation, but she seems to almost NEVER rotate and land her 3-3. This is a problem she needs to fix ASAP!

Zijun - Lovely performance and lines, but as inconsistent as ever.

So Youn - This girl frustrates the hell out of me!! She has so much potential, and she is throwing away her opportunities one by one. It almost seemed like she was afraid of falling on the 3-3, which caused her to stop rotating on the second jump. Pity on the fall as well...... On a positive note, she got level 4 for most of her spins, including her camel, which makes me cringe in fear. She also got level 4 for the steps. The only thing remaining is for her to get her head together and land the jumps. I know it's easier said than done but ughhh, as a fan, she breaks my heart so many times.... I want her to do a cleanish short or free. Not clean. Just a cleanish one for ONCE. I want to see her smile for once as well. It feels like ages since I've seen her smile.... :sad46:

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yes she has shown 3L-3L back in 2010 with her Tango SP. I'm all for Mao going for the 3Lz since she should have no problems winning even with edge calls. She has to do it to shake out the muscle memory of the flutz.
I agree on the fact that she's got to shake out the muscle memory of the flutz, but that didn't work. I think it's better to try to do it clean in the FS, where this jump isn't as important. That edge call was a step backward. When you're in competiton all the old habits can resurface again, that's not bad in general, she's got some pretty good old habits as well. Do you remember when she did that 3L-3L combination in 2010? I can only remember her doing 3L-2L. I love 3L-3L combos, but I really like Mao's 3L-2L as well. I know that she doesn't need the points in this competition or this season but when we look forward to the Olympics in 2018 this could be costly. But I admire her for always trying to do things that are difficult for her and exiting for us. But she's also probably lost competitons because of this attitude. We all know that she wants a clean lutz, but I don't mind really. She's great without it. She's more clean triples than the last two olympic champions. :dev3:

aa456

On the Ice
Just watched Mao's program. Gorgeous girl, gorgeous dress. Love the color on her! I'm not too sold on her program just yet but it's her first event this season. I'm sure she will make it even better as the season progresses. Regarding her jumps, yea switching to a salchow might be safer for her, but when has this girl ever played it safe? She's always challenging herself.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Glad Mao's back and still challenging herself. She showed up in the SP! :cheer:

Also happy for Rika. Her SP is very unique!

Wish the best for all the skaters to perform amazing free skates!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
So happy for Mao!!! She looked better than ever! I think this is the first time I see her performed to her level in exhibition which I wished for so many years. Mao used to be too tense to really show off her performance capacity. Love her SP and LP this year.

Zijun was robber for PCS big time. That program performed like that should be in the lower 8s for everything, next to only Mao.

Zujin was always robbed on PCS. She and Park are always under score. Of course being inconsistent doesn't help in the judges eyes. they both needs to step up and be consistent like Ringo or Sotoko, which is land the jumps every times.

andyjo24

Medalist
Zujin was always robbed on PCS. She and Park are always under score. Of course being inconsistent doesn't help in the judges eyes. they both needs to step up and be consistent like Ringo or Sotoko, which is land the jumps every times.

They're being underscored because they are so inconsistent.

Think about it. If Li and Park were to deliver regularly like Satoko and Rika, there would be no reason for the judges to not give them 30+ PCS.

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
I agree on the fact that she's got to shake out the muscle memory of the flutz, but that didn't work. I think it's better to try to do it clean in the FS, where this jump isn't as important. That edge call was a step backward. When you're in competiton all the old habits can resurface again, that's not bad in general, she's got some pretty good old habits as well. Do you remember when she did that 3L-3L combination in 2010? I can only remember her doing 3L-2L. I love 3L-3L combos, but I really like Mao's 3L-2L as well. I know that she doesn't need the points in this competition or this season but when we look forward to the Olympics in 2018 this could be costly. But I admire her for always trying to do things that are difficult for her and exiting for us. But she's also probably lost competitons because of this attitude. We all know that she wants a clean lutz, but I don't mind really. She's great without it. She's more clean triples than the last two olympic champions. :dev3:

Well she only did in practice. I'll have to look for it. She only has three seasons left before the Olympics, maybe just doing the 3lz in the FS is not going to give her enough tries to iron it out. Looking forward, if she can't get a clean edge by next season, she can re-work a different strategy for the Olympic season.

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice
Great start for Mao. Kudos to her for going for the lutz. The attempt in practice was better, I think she changed the entry into the lutz there (starting on the inside edge before going to the outside). In the competition it looked like she went back to the old technique. I hope to see her try something like Rika's SP in the future. She suits classical pieces, but I would like to she her try a powerful/strong piece sometime. Maybe Akiko can choreograph something for her. :agree2:

Sad for Soyoun, hope to see her skate the SP clean once during the season. Great 2A though. :cheer2:

Khoai

Match Penalty
Miss. Asada's new SP is disappointing to me, same old same old. I guess they will upgrade it as the season go, as for now she is slower than before. That e call in the lutz is rightful because it is so obvious in real time. And the combo is definitely UR. Good start of the season, but it is underwhelming after all the hype.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Miss. Asada's new SP is disappointing to me, same old same old. I guess they will upgrade it as the season go, as for now she is slower than before. That e call in the lutz is rightful because it is so obvious in real time. And the combo is definitely UR. Good start of the season, but it is underwhelming after all the hype.

That's our fault, not hers. No one had seen the SP so it's your own fault if you have some type of fantasy expectation based on what your tastes and wishes are. I also don't see how "same old, same old" applies to Mao when she's done so many more different styles than a lot of skaters. Her speed looks fine to me. It's overrated anyway (it doesn't make sense for me to skate 100 mph regardless of that the music is or what it's doing). Just like transitions. Everyone always says x skater needs more transitions. It's too much sometimes. Too many convoluted programs.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm pleasantly surprised to see Courtney Hicks place this high. BTW, what's up with Adam and the US Ladies and their Red Hair this season? You know, my dancers went through a phase with a Dark Burgundy color that I really liked. It gave them a much more regal look. Especially when they were in costume. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't whether your post is intended to be a joke or not, Sam-S.

In any case, the Kori thread did have discussion of varying opinions re Anna P's coach.

I think you are implying the possibility of a double standard, and speaking only for myself, I do see a double standard that makes some of the posts in the Kori thread harder for me to swallow.
That said, opinions in the thread did vary.

Thanks Golden! I didn't catch all of that thread so I'm sure I just missed it. That is why I added the "that I've seen" to my OP. Good to know it was addressed there. I was implying a double standard because it seems quite common for people to comment on her rigid demeanor and lack of smiles. I was being a bit cheeky IMO by ending the post with a smiley but I can't help but be ironic at times. For better or for worse.

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
Loved Courtney's program and her much improved total package. I always disliked the blonde on her so the hair color is a big plus and the costume is lovely. If she can make the combo a 3/3 she will really be a force at U. S. Nationals.
I love Courtney's skating and agree she could be a force at nationals; however her packaging is still wrong. Why can't her coach and choreographer see this? She is a strong skater somewhat like Wagner. She needs strong, big, powerful music for her big strong skating style. Trying to give her more artistry through slow, stretchy music is not going to cut it. The dress is fine but not with the red hair and all skaters should stay away from Kwan's signature music.
Sssoooooooo much music out there!! Stop using the same old stuff! Here's some music for Courtney and other strong, powerful skaters.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr_JuHMooU4 at min. 45:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O91GDWGPU at min. 2:27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOjHhS5MtvA at min. 1:16:50 I would love to see someone skate to this!!!

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It was a bad judgement to do the triple after handdown and no speed. I think 2T will have worth more vs 3T< and a fall.

That is just not the Russian mentality though. Anna and Elena are gritty girls, it's 3-3 or bust for them, doesn't matter how messed up the first jump is. I must say I admire the determination!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's our fault, not hers. No one had seen the SP so it's your own fault if you have some type of fantasy expectation based on what your tastes and wishes are. I also don't see how "same old, same old" applies to Mao when she's done so many more different styles than a lot of skaters. Her speed looks fine to me.

I have to admit that there has been hyper attack and hyper defense of Mao since the JO thread that has kinda mellowed me a bit in wanting to discuss her. I love seeing her back and it's great to see a kind soul who not only excels at performing a program but just looks natural doing it. I often think "this girl is doing what she was meant to do" when I see her skate. Hype aside and expectations tossed in the corner....I do feel fair in saying Mao looked a bit sluggish in delivering some of the elements at times but we should all relax. It's her first competitive program since March of 2014 with hopefully many more to come. It's only going to get better me thinks.

I don't think she has the best short program at this event though but her TES is next world level and we all know the effects that carries into PCS.

Am I the only one who thought Hannah Miller delivered and should be in the mix more. I didn't see a 2pt difference in SS between her and Mao, not that Mao's scores are wrong but that Hannah seemed much closer if not beyond in comparison to me in this particular SP. No one seems to be agreeing or disagreeing with me about Hannah.

Last edited: