USFS host city discussion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

USFS host city discussion

noskates

Record Breaker
Semosk8tfan - Didn't realize it was Kansas City, Missouri. How far away from KC, Ka, is that? I have a friend who lives in Overland Park and I know the KC airport is in Missouri but it's all so close geographically. I've been to Nationals several times - Portland, San Jose, Boston, etc. and we've always known at least 18 months prior to the event what the location would be. This is just a few weeks over a year away and we haven't heard anything formal yet. Going to Boston in 2014 and then again in 2016 is about all the snow and ice and cold I want. Walking to and from the hotel in 2014 was treacherous at best even though it was only a few blocks to TD Gardens. Whether we go to Nats in 2017 will depend solely on the weather!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been to Nationals in Philadelphia in 1996 and to Skate America a few years later in Atlantic City...both were great locations with lots to see and do...very easy getting around - at Nationals we had bus pass & it picked up at our hotel...at SA we were at Caesars which was just a short stroll down the boardwalk to the venue.
Just a couple of options to be looked into...

From your lips to God's (or the USFSA's) ears! (I love when these become the "where I want to have Nats" thread). Or even Reading, Pa., 35 miles (35 miles :agree:) from me, where evidently Skate America was held in the mid 2000s, although Reading was a dump then and is more of a dump now, I don't care, it's close!:clap:

Been to Minneapolis (for work) in the month of February. If you ain't paying me to go there, I ain't going. Been to KC many years ago (for an academic conference) in late December/early January. Cold as blitzen, and snooow.... Nope.

Maybe they could do a winter classic and have the events outside?:laugh15:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd love to go to LA for nationals. Really enjoyed worlds there. I'm not knocking Minnesota......but really? Wouldn't a warm place do just as well?

I loved St Paul in 2008. It was colder there than home (Alaska) but it didn't matter, they did a fantastic job.

Since attendance for these events in the US is down, anyway, I think they should do one of these events in Anchorage, Alaska.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If I had to pick a city after Denver it would be a toss up between. Kansas City and San Antonio Texas. Kansas City has a ton of things for the whole Family to do. In my experience, there are certain events that the entire Family doesn't want to see. Send them off to Six Flags Fiesta Texas or Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. In my travels, I've been to some really unfriendly cities which have ruined my feelings about them. San Antonio and Kansas City are both IMO very safe and friendly places for all members of the family. Send the husband and the kids out to have some fun and you stay and enjoy the skating.

Or in my case. Send your bored Marine partner to a brewery or down to City Walk in San Antonio so he can watch football and drink Corona's. ;)

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I have been to Nationals in Philadelphia in 1996 and to Skate America a few years later in Atlantic City...both were great locations with lots to see and do...very easy getting around - at Nationals we had bus pass & it picked up at our hotel...at SA we were at Caesars which was just a short stroll down the boardwalk to the venue. Just a couple of options to be looked into...

I am all about a Nationals in Philly! The Kweens Magic is here!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am all about a Nationals in Philly! The Kweens Magic is here!

Speaking of Michelle. Weren't World's in DC in 2003 when both Michelle and Sokolova were great.

How about Virginia? They have Busch Gardens Theme Park, Colonial Williamsburg, and Kings Dominion. They also have Tatyana Malinina who would make a wonderful spokesperson for the event.

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Speaking of Michelle. Weren't World's in DC in 2003 when both Michelle and Sokolova were great. How about Virginia? They have Busch Gardens Theme Park, Colonial Williamsburg, and Kings Dominion. They also have Tatyana Malinina who would make a wonderful spokesperson for the event.

Yes! Virginia would be ok not too far away. I have a 6 hour drive for Boston

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've also heard that Las Vegas could be a contender for Skate America/Nationals once they finish a new arena there. Las Vegas is VERY competitive as far as securing meetings/events (my husband's company goes to a conference that is in Las Vegas every year).

Also they are old hats in hosting sporting events -- they hosted a bunch of basketball conference championships last year.

I think it's this one: http://www.arenalasvegas.com/home.aspx

It's supposed to open in spring 2016.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about Hershey Pennsylvania? I know that the Hershey Company has sponsored events in the past and I'm sure they'd make great hosts. Though Hershey is kind of in the boonies. They do have a beautiful amusement park called, you guessed it "Hershey Park" The also have the great chocolate factory tour and they give you free Hershey's Kisses and Peanut Butter Cup after the tour. Hershey has a nice small town feel to it and I think it has something for everyone.

Tallorder

On the Ice
I've also heard that Las Vegas could be a contender for Skate America/Nationals once they finish a new arena there. Las Vegas is VERY competitive as far as securing meetings/events (my husband's company goes to a conference that is in Las Vegas every year).

Also they are old hats in hosting sporting events -- they hosted a bunch of basketball conference championships last year.

I think it's this one: http://www.arenalasvegas.com/home.aspx

It's supposed to open in spring 2016.

Yes Mrs. P. Have heard the same. Las Vegas on the short list/wish list as well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I remember there being an event in Colorado. The skaters were gasping for air by the end of their free skates. With the exception of the Colorado skaters, of course. My point is, I think Denver would be a great city for Skate America. Elitch Gardens is a fun Amusement Park that stays open during the fall and would be a great side trip as it's relatively small compared to the big Corporate Parks.

Colorado Springs is only 800 ft higher than Denver, and its the most perfect place in the world for a skatin' event. An Arena with two attached sheets of practice ice, hotels are RIGHT THERE as are the restaurants, there is the figure skating museum. I love that place.....As for the altitude, well, conditioning is one of the easiest ways to improve performance...its hard to learn many things in skating....conditioning is hard work but its easy to do.....
Chris inventing a face mask that simulates skating at 6,030 ft.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/library/Colorado?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Hershey Pennsylvania? I know that the Hershey Company has sponsored events in the past and I'm sure they'd make great hosts. Though Hershey is kind of in the boonies. They do have a beautiful amusement park called, you guessed it "Hershey Park" The also have the great chocolate factory tour and they give you free Hershey's Kisses and Peanut Butter Cup after the tour. Hershey has a nice small town feel to it and I think it has something for everyone.

Yesss, less than a two hour drive. I like the "in my backyard" suggestions. In the 70s, I actually travelled to Hershey from Philadelphia to watch minor league hockey (I think the arena may have been upgraded since then?) The Hershey Bears. Not until last year did I get it. The Hershey Bears, the Hershey Bars ... only took me 40 years :laugh2:

Anyway, keep those Pennsylvania recommendations coming!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In this case, though, I think it is more a problem of finding a local organizing group that is willing to take it on. I don't think either the USFSA or the local club/arena make much money on these events any more.

Very true...and Omaha lost money on Nats.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think this is the most likely scenario. I think it would also surprise some fans to know how many times an event will get "Bumped" from the schedule for a more profitable bid even after its been booked. It's one of the ugly parts of show business and it's something directors and event planners hate to deal with. That's why "Booking Agents" are both loved and hated by almost everyone.

BTW, if someone says "You would be a great booking agent." Slap them and run as fast as you can. It's a horrible job as someone's almost always mad at you.

Frankly, I am amazed.....I know almost nothing about this end of the business but I would think that if my event were "bumped" , my contract law lawyer would end up owning any entity that signed a contract for my event and then reniged....has anyone ever heard of a skating event getting bumped?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Frankly, I am amazed.....I know almost nothing about this end of the business but I would think that if my event were "bumped" , my contract law lawyer would end up owning any entity that signed a contract for my event and then reniged....has anyone ever heard of a skating event getting bumped?

Hey Chris, I've never heard of a skating event being "Bumped." My experience was from when I was singing professionally. What I think is more likely with skating was that a venue would be denied in hope of getting a more profitable booking.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Colorado Springs is only 800 ft higher than Denver, and its the most perfect place in the world for a skatin' event. An Arena with two attached sheets of practice ice, hotels are RIGHT THERE as are the restaurants, there is the figure skating museum. I love that place.....As for the altitude, well, conditioning is one of the easiest ways to improve performance...its hard to learn many things in skating....conditioning is hard work but its easy to do.....
Chris inventing a face mask that simulates skating at 6,030 ft.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/library/Colorado?sort=3&page=1

There actually are not that many walking distance from the arena. They pretty much sold out/only had a few very over priced rooms left during the JGP there this year. I don't know how much was due to the JGP... but still, i would expect them to go very quickly and be full.

I think it is a good place though as a form of pride with the OTC there and all - but for hotels/restaurants Denver is a bit better. Though to be fully honest I am not sure the Pepsi center is ever empty long enough to host it, one of the owners of it married into the Wal-Mart family an now collects pro sports teams... or was for awhile. It tends to stay very busy though.

University of Denver might actually be a better location. They have a hockey team and do have an arena for an audience (Magness Arena) and a training rink (Joy Burns Arena) a short walk away. I am not very familiar with them area, but I do know there is a light rail stop at the college somewhere. That gives you access to Downtown and and the Tech center for hotels. Not idea, but might be more realistic then Pepsi center. Plus it would be pretty neat to see Skate America at Michelle Kwan's college.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I have been to Nationals in Philadelphia in 1996 and to Skate America a few years later in Atlantic City...both were great locations with lots to see and do...very easy getting around - at Nationals we had bus pass & it picked up at our hotel...at SA we were at Caesars which was just a short stroll down the boardwalk to the venue.
Just a couple of options to be looked into...

Philly nationals was 1998. And I love Atlantic City. I was at both comps. I miss my stomping grounds.... (says a Gulf Coaster now.)

noskates

Record Breaker
I vote for Las Vegas. There are plentiful places to stay ranging from mega-cheap to uber expensive and all stops in between, there are restaurants galore, and the city knows how to put on an event. AND most of all there is no snow in Vegas. :agree:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I vote for Las Vegas. There are plentiful places to stay ranging from mega-cheap to uber expensive and all stops in between, there are restaurants galore, and the city knows how to put on an event. AND most of all there is no snow in Vegas. :agree:

It is also a traditional "vacation destination" even internationally. It might attract people that have been wanting to go there anyway.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Chris, I've never heard of a skating event being "Bumped." My experience was from when I was singing professionally. What I think is more likely with skating was that a venue would be denied in hope of getting a more profitable booking.

Now THAT makes sense.....I wonder how Milwaukee made out financially.......