USFS host city discussion | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFS host city discussion

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Very true...and Omaha lost money on Nats.....

Too bad, too, because the setup was perfect for skaters, with the hotel just a short enclosed walkway from the rink & both competition/practice rinks under the same roof. I heard skaters say they literally could walk in their pajamas to the rink and then change there. And the airport is just 15 minutes away, if that. Omaha has had huge success in the same facilities with swimming trials, national volleyball and international equestrian events; i don't know why my city didn't support skating.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Frankly, I am amazed.....I know almost nothing about this end of the business but I would think that if my event were "bumped" , my contract law lawyer would end up owning any entity that signed a contract for my event and then reniged....has anyone ever heard of a skating event getting bumped?

Not a skating event but if you are interested in a time where it did happen. A few years the Denver Nuggets managed to make it to either the playoffs or the finals (can't recall) somewhat unexpectedly. So the issue arose that the Pepsi center already had some WWF style event booked on one of the nights where a playoff/final game was to be played in Denver. The basketball game happened and I think the other thing got played elsewhere. I think there could have been issues with the NBA as expecting them to host the game. It does give some insight into schedule and the dilemma faced. I mean a WWF style event can hype up getting bumped and is not that big a deal. This is what happened this time else i would not remember - I do think think it was certainly still a headache for everyone. But the "deal with it" method is less practical for something that has broadcasting rights like figure skating. If USFSA were told "we would love to have you, but are gonna bump you if X happens" my guess is they would feel they have to go elsewhere.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There actually are not that many walking distance from the arena. They pretty much sold out/only had a few very over priced rooms left during the JGP there this year. I don't know how much was due to the JGP... but still, i would expect them to go very quickly and be full.

I think it is a good place though as a form of pride with the OTC there and all - but for hotels/restaurants Denver is a bit better. Though to be fully honest I am not sure the Pepsi center is ever empty long enough to host it, one of the owners of it married into the Wal-Mart family an now collects pro sports teams... or was for awhile. It tends to stay very busy though.

University of Denver might actually be a better location. They have a hockey team and do have an arena for an audience (Magness Arena) and a training rink (Joy Burns Arena) a short walk away. I am not very familiar with them area, but I do know there is a light rail stop at the college somewhere. That gives you access to Downtown and and the Tech center for hotels. Not idea, but might be more realistic then Pepsi center. Plus it would be pretty neat to see Skate America at Michelle Kwan's college.

I am shocked...I was there for two events...one was 4Cs and maybe the other one was too....there is the Hampton, LaQuinta, Fairfield, Double tree, Quality Inn, Best Western, etc. all within a half mile. I never had an issue finding a room. And one was a last minute trip. Wonder if perhaps another major event was going on in town? Had to have been. JGPs dont draw that many people.... I would think Denver would be more expensive and spread out......

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am shocked...I was there for two events...one was 4Cs and maybe the other one was too....there is the Hampton, LaQuinta, Fairfield, Double tree, Quality Inn, Best Western, etc. all within a half mile. I never had an issue finding a room. And one was a last minute trip. Wonder if perhaps another major event was going on in town? Had to have been. JGPs don't draw that many people.... I would think Denver would be more expensive and spread out......

I was wondering how many it could really attract as well, it may have been another event, but that is always a possibility. Or it could be they fill up that time of year. Colorado Springs could certainly support it, I just think those hotels could be in demand. To be honest i was shocked too... i wanted to get a last minute deal!

Price wise... well you have more options in Denver, so you usually can find a good deal somewhere. Hotels tend to spring up in pockets and be a bit random in terms of price. But really would face the same problem of "what else is there that week".

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
If it is in KC, I will go. That is, of course, if Ryan Bradley agrees to come out of retirement and compete for friends, fans and family! I'm sure he could be a medal contender and even if he bombed the short I bet he'd throw out a backflip in the long.:agree:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Too bad, too, because the setup was perfect for skaters, with the hotel just a short enclosed walkway from the rink & both competition/practice rinks under the same roof. I heard skaters say they literally could walk in their pajamas to the rink and then change there. And the airport is just 15 minutes away, if that. Omaha has had huge success in the same facilities with swimming trials, national volleyball and international equestrian events; i don't know why my city didn't support skating.

I attended Nationals in Omaha and stayed with friends. They compared their experiences with the swimming trials and skating. The swimming trials partnered with local business to publicize and offer special ticket packages (I think it might have been Hy-Vee, a regional grocery chain). They bought tickets just to experience what they termed "a once in a lifetime chance to see Olympic caliber athletes". They hadn't heard Nationals was coming until I contacted them to see if I could stay with them. Skating is so locked into their national sponsors that they failed to capitalize on the locals.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm sure this has been mentioned before I just found out about it now. I think Virginia should really considered as a top level venue. I just saw Elvis Stojko On Ice on the Theme Park Review website. It appears he's performing at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Virginia. If it's good enough for Tatiana and Elvis. It's good enough for me.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I've also heard that Las Vegas could be a contender for Skate America/Nationals once they finish a new arena there. Las Vegas is VERY competitive as far as securing meetings/events (my husband's company goes to a conference that is in Las Vegas every year).

Also they are old hats in hosting sporting events -- they hosted a bunch of basketball conference championships last year.

I think it's this one: http://www.arenalasvegas.com/home.aspx

It's supposed to open in spring 2016.

Yasa and Yuri introduced me to a judge at Nats last year....he said the stigma of having an event at Vegas is gone and it is seriously being considered as many folks, both here and around the world, would like to combine a vacation to a skating event and to Vegas. I told him I thought that was smart thinking and that such a spot would entice more spouses to agree to come along...I would love to have 4 Conts, for instance, or SA at Vegas.....Dont know how big the arena is but Nats would be fantastic....its warm!
Chris tired of cold cities.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I loved Omaha....great restauants, reasonable hotel rates, right next door to the arena, which had 2 sheets of ice.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Not a skating event but if you are interested in a time where it did happen. A few years the Denver Nuggets managed to make it to either the playoffs or the finals (can't recall) somewhat unexpectedly. So the issue arose that the Pepsi center already had some WWF style event booked on one of the nights where a playoff/final game was to be played in Denver. The basketball game happened and I think the other thing got played elsewhere. I think there could have been issues with the NBA as expecting them to host the game. It does give some insight into schedule and the dilemma faced. I mean a WWF style event can hype up getting bumped and is not that big a deal. This is what happened this time else i would not remember - I do think think it was certainly still a headache for everyone. But the "deal with it" method is less practical for something that has broadcasting rights like figure skating. If USFSA were told "we would love to have you, but are gonna bump you if X happens" my guess is they would feel they have to go elsewhere.

Yes, although the USFS did agree to go to Boston for its nats, knowing it couldnt have the main arena all week......I think we got in on Wednesday or Thursday.... those bleachers in the convention center kind of left a sour taste in folks mouths....

ozmodiar

On the Ice

This actually happened last summer with the Stanley Cup in Tampa. Due to varying home ice advantages depending on which teams are playing, they don't know the exact schedule needed until the previous playoff round is done. One of the Stanley Cup games ended up conflicting with the second of three Garth Brooks concerts set for that weekend, so all three of the concerts ended up being cancelled because they couldn't work out the equipment load in issues with the existing dates.

The NHL and NBA always have priority for their playoffs. The arenas know in advance what the possible game dates are so most don't schedule anything then, but the Tampa arena probably couldn't pass up the opportunity to host three guaranteed sold out concerts versus the slim chance (at the time they were scheduling) that the Lightning would make it to the Stanley Cup.

The regular season is usually worked out well beforehand. I know when a longer running event like the circus or Disney on Ice visit an NHL/NBA arena, the home teams go on week+ long road trips.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
ozmodiar - I don't think it had anything to do with a lack of knowing the schedule in this case.... the problem was the last time the Nuggets made it that far was 1985... and this happened in 2009. I think when your team sucks for 24 years straight i can forgive not expecting them to get very far. I honestly think they just weighed the odds and decided to risk it as it was so unlikely to be an issue. Supposedly they used to have issues with homeless at games because there was so little demand for tickets people would just give spares away to bums... and the bums were happy to get inside for a few hours. Plus it was the WWF that got bumped... they hammed it up enough they likely profited from it. Honestly I would not be surprised if there was a contingency publicity stunt clause in the contract.

I don't blame either the Nuggets or ... The Tampas (sorry don't know names) for handling it they way they did. You have to keep your venue profitable and you have to make decisions like that. But it is good to remember what all goes into all this so when things go south.. maybe we can have a little more empathy for the parties involved.

Thank you for bringing up the equipment issue. That was something that makes total sense, but many would not even think about as an issue. People forget how long set up and tear down takes. Scheduling really can be an art that is often unappreciated.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am hoping that it is in Kansas City. They have revitalized the downtown area and it would be awesome for visitors and skaters. The weather will be milder than Minnesota this year!! And by the way, it is Kansas City MISSOURI that is in the running not Kansas City KANSAS

Seems that John Coughlin, native of KC, Missouri, is/was on his way to make a #BIGannouncement somewhere on Interstate 70 for US Figure Skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Another hint re the Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO, from Coughlin this morning:

ETA, I have started a new thread for today's official announcement of 2017 Nats in Kansas City, MO + Independence, MO:

I have no issues with USFS for Picking KC....have to check it out...maybe tomarrow.....I was alittle hard on them for announcing ticket sales will start Tuesday , Jan 19th, 10 am when us donating fans will all be in the Xcel Arena in St Paul watching the competition. Lets see, leave the arena, go back to hotel, get a secure computer and either download and print out a form and fax /mail it back or get on a website and buy a ticket for KC. Then head back to the arena....so what if we miss the novice free dance and junior dance practice? Hey USFS...big clue...you want bigger donations from us? Run these ideas by us first and give us pick of the litter 3 days in advance of releasing tickets to the public date....dont make us do a fire drill during a major event.....

senatormls

On the Ice
That is a good question! I think a lot may have to do with finding a city these days in the US that doesn't have a NHL hockey team. Don't forget other sport events like basketball. And rock concerts, circuses, etc. Floors must be installed, equipment in place and so forth. Nationals is at least a week's event and that means for hockey cities, more away games. So money and politics are definitely involved here. I believe Canada has the same problem but I believe they have much more facilities to work with.

KKonas

Medalist
Semosk8tfan - Didn't realize it was Kansas City, Missouri. How far away from KC, Ka, is that? I have a friend who lives in Overland Park and I know the KC airport is in Missouri but it's all so close geographically. I've been to Nationals several times - Portland, San Jose, Boston, etc. and we've always known at least 18 months prior to the event what the location would be. This is just a few weeks over a year away and we haven't heard anything formal yet. Going to Boston in 2014 and then again in 2016 is about all the snow and ice and cold I want. Walking to and from the hotel in 2014 was treacherous at best even though it was only a few blocks to TD Gardens. Whether we go to Nats in 2017 will depend solely on the weather!

KC, MO is next door to KC, KS. Overland Park in KS is just a relatively short freeway drive to KC, MO. Not sure where the new Sprint center is located. Haven't been there recently.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
KC, MO is next door to KC, KS. Overland Park in KS is just a relatively short freeway drive to KC, MO. Not sure where the new Sprint center is located. Haven't been there recently.

I did alittle digging on google maps...there are some good inexpensive (compared to Boston) hotels near the Arena...but they are not taking room reservations yet....the airport is 20 miles away and so far all I have seen are reserve only pool vans and cabs...maybe there is something less expensive I am not seeing....
According to Pollstar Magazine’s 2014 Year End Report, Sprint Center has been recognized as America’s eleventh busiest arena and No. 30 among Worldwide Venues.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A lot will depend on what the LOC negotiates for fans. In St. Paul the hotels for fans were $30 to $60 more per night than their usual charge (plus tax of roughly 14%). I hope that the hotels in Kansas City will stay reasonable or maybe even go down slightly.

Chris, do you mean super shuttle when you say reserve only pool vans? Cab fares for 20 miles would probably be $50 plus tip each way...ouch!

I did alittle digging on google maps...there are some good inexpensive (compared to Boston) hotels near the Arena...but they are not taking room reservations yet....the airport is 20 miles away and so far all I have seen are reserve only pool vans and cabs...maybe there is something less expensive I am not seeing....
According to Pollstar Magazine’s 2014 Year End Report, Sprint Center has been recognized as America’s eleventh busiest arena and No. 30 among Worldwide Venues.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A lot will depend on what the LOC negotiates for fans. In St. Paul the hotels for fans were $30 to $60 more per night than their usual charge (plus tax of roughly 14%). I hope that the hotels in Kansas City will stay reasonable or maybe even go down slightly.

Chris, do you mean super shuttle when you say reserve only pool vans? Cab fares for 20 miles would probably be $50 plus tip each way...ouch!

OK, I am having a senior moment (again) . What would I do without you? When I go to the airport website ground transportation, am I missing the super shuttle?
http://www.flykci.com/getting-to-from/ground-transportation/shuttle-services/
When I go to the wonderful IMHO SuperShuttle website, they indeed show that Kansas city airport is one of their strongholds and you can get a round trip for $18 to downtown KC....most reasonable