State of U.S. Dance 2015-2016 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Dance 2015-2016

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I think there is something to be gained in staying in juniors if they don't win jr worlds, as there would be a pretty easy path for them to do so next season (assuming both P/V and L/L move up, I'm not sure on the ages of either couple and whether or not they must do so), I find L/D quite unimpressive, and could actually see their young compatriots C/P being their main competition.

Popova/Vlasenko will move to seniors next season (100%), and will drown in Russian field. Loboda/Drozd are the youngest out of these teams, they actually planned to stay juniors for two more seasons, since he's 19 and she's only 15, I'm not sure if something changed in their mind to this moment.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YES!!!!! McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons are my 2 fave ice dance teams (And also yes I'm happy cause the fact they train in the same metropolitan area I live in. But they're super talented as well).

I really think that both teams should go to seniors next seasons. Yes I know both teams will actually have one more year left of junior eligibility, honestly, they're ready for seniors. Like seriously. Okay, there could have been a possibility of overscoring at the JGP, but getting 160+ in juniors? 160+ is in the average range somewhat for seniors. Which I think is promising.

If both stay in the same partnerships for like 6 more seasons, and improve at this rate, then I can see them on the Olympic podium in 2022. 2018 is WAY too soon, but 2022 is plenty of time. Both teams have been consistent it seems. Plus M/C have a unique style in a way. Compared to other junior teams, those two are somewhat on different levels.

Yes I know Anna and Sergey didn't have a GREAT start in the GP this season so I know it won't exactly be immediate to get to the top. It'll take time.

But seriously I'm excited for the Parsons and M/C to get to seniors. I can't wait to see how they'll do compared to other senior teams.

Last edited:

Tallorder

On the Ice
They were. (The Shibs had a fall). But they won silver at Junior Worlds the year before and they made another run at capturing that junior title. Just as M&C are doing this season. Whether M&C climb that final spot or not, they are making the attempt & establishing themselves with GP wins along the way. The Shibs--along with being unbelievably talented performers & able to capture that Junior World silver in their very first season on the junior GP--headed into seniors as U.S. Junior National Champions and having defeated all the other U.S. junior teams of the era. The senior team had just opened up a slot with Samuelson & Bates sitting out a season for injury.

I recall the Shibutani's also chose to remain as Juniors for a second season internationally in 2009-2010 because Maia was too young and age-ineligible according to the rules then to compete senior - certainly at the Olympics (only 15 that season, and not 16 by July 1st of that year, 2010). It would have been her first year of age eligibility for Senior grand prix events. But, as is the unique problem for ice dancers, one cannot easily straddle the junior and senior worlds during the same season because the differences between the junior and senior compulsory/OD/pattern (now) would require entirely separate programs. Not just adding 30 seconds to a long/free program.

Examples of teams that have had lengthier tenures on the Junior Grand Prix circuit before moving up to the senior ranks include the fine Russian team of Monko/Khaliavin. They competed for something like 4 or 5 (6?) seasons on the JGP series, ultimately becoming Junior World champions and aging out. When they finally transitioned to senior, they faced a log-jam of Russian seniors and have had to be patient progressing through their own country's senior ranks, making it to Worlds last year, their 5th (?) year on the senior international level.

Snow63

Record Breaker
I've just read on one of the Russian forums that McNamara will go to Zoueva, without any official confirmation. I wonder if there is some truth in it? I mean it's :dbana:

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've just read on one of the Russian forums that McNamara will go to Zoueva, without any official confirmation. I wonder if there is some truth in it? I mean it's :dbana:

I don't think there's any truth in my opinion until there's a reliable source. Plus Lorraine is still in high school and still has one year left in high school so if she is, it won't be until the 2017-2018 season.

Also I know Detroit/towns near the Detriot area are the ice dance capital of the USA, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY option in the USA. They're already doing fine and dandy in Rockville. So if she and Quinn are doing well in Rockville, then I don't see a reason why they should move to Michigan. You know? Like we know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Snow63

Record Breaker
I don't think there's any truth in my opinion until there's a reliable source. Plus Lorraine is still in high school and still has one year left in high school so if she is, it won't be until the 2017-2018 season.

Also I know Detroit/towns near the Detriot area are the ice dance capital of the USA, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY option in the USA. They're already doing fine and dandy in Rockville. So if she and Quinn are doing well in Rockville, then I don't see a reason why they should move to Michigan. You know? Like we know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Exactly. Besides it would be pretty stupid to go to Zoueva, it will automatically put them under the Shibs and Sinitsina/Katsalapov. Not very nice way to start their senior path.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. Besides it would be pretty stupid to go to Zoueva, it will automatically put them under the Shibs and Sinitsina/Katsalapov. Not very nice way to start their senior path.

Exactly. Best to keep them where they've done well their whole career. Plus since they (And the Parsons) have GoFundMes for next season, it would definitely be wise to stay. Plus the scores they've been getting recently are showing they're ready for seniors. And this is without training in Michigan. So Rockville could become an additional ice dance capital (Or that's me being delusional cause I live in the DC area as well like them and I think the DC area is a fantastic place). Who knows? There seems to be something great happening where they already train.

caitie

Medalist

They will automatically be under the Shibs and S/K for the remainder of this quad anyway. The Shibs are almost certain to retire at the end of it, so they could be her top American team then (with some competition for that status from Daniel Eaton and his new partner, I suppose).

I'm pretty sure WISA doesn't have any senior teams. I thought they might try and launch a program with the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter, but maybe they aren't equipped to do so or maybe McNarama/Carpenter would rather train with coaches who are proven in the senior ranks. I think Marina could help polish them as skaters (Lorraine's posture in particular is a major weakness of theirs), but I'm not sure if she'd be able to choreograph for them. They need someone who can help them successfully translate their quirky style to seniors, and IMO Marina is not that kind of choreographer.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I wouldn't be surprised if its at least being discussed on the table. They're winning everything and I'm sure some higher ups at USFS are putting in their ear that they'll need a coach whose been all the way to the top of senior to take them where hope to go-- especially in the super political dance landscape. Not saying Marina is right for them at all, just that I'm not surprised a move out of Maryland is being discussed or already in the works for next season.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Tarasova said some interesting stuff about juniors coaches. They, in her experience, don't have a chance to break through, because Federations often force most talented junior skaters go to the different coaches with reputation. That's why we hear mostly about the same coaches every time. It's a big human conveyor, teams retire and in their places come talented juniors. She thinks it's a big mistake, by the way. Some young talented coaches have potential to be absolutely greatest, but they don't have a chance to show it, simply because they only have a chance to train talented junior teams, but not seniors.
Remember Moser, Tutberidze? They both were only junior coaches just some years ago, and now they're on top, training top senior skaters, literally. So, you never know how it will turn out.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Tarasova said some interesting stuff about juniors coaches. They, in her experience, don't have a chance to break through, because Federations often force most talented junior skaters go to the different coaches with reputation.

Novak & Kiliakov--M&C's coaches--received last year's Developmental Coaches of the Year Award from U.S. Figure Skating. Their Wheaton Ice Skating Academy has at least 9 teams qualifying for Nationals this season, including McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Gropman & Somerville, the Beckers, the Greens (last year's novice national champions) and Tkachenko & Kiliakov (last year's juvenile national champions).

I'd say they have a reputation. Quite a phenomenal one.

What they possibly may not have is time. Though, I agree, this would be an outstanding year for them to break into coaching senior teams.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Before you start talking about moving teams to new coaches, just look at the results from this Maryland program. Go back through the last several US National Championships and count how many dance medals have been won by these "young" coaches in Maryland, and then total up all the medals won by all other coaches combined, at all levels. You will see just how dominant they have become at each level they've had skaters to coach in. First it was almost all-WISA at Juvenile, then up through Intermediate, then they added novice, and now Junior. Having to move to Detroit as seniors? Why? Kiliakov and Novak have as much success producing national champions as anyone. McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, have all won national titles (Rachel has won it 3 times) and both teams continue to take home gold medals in international competition, consistently, and are medaling every single time they go out. So why is anyone still questioning this program? A little competition is good for coaches as well as skaters. It makes US team much stronger for the future.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Novak & Kiliakov--M&C's coaches--received last year's Developmental Coaches of the Year Award from U.S. Figure Skating. Their Wheaton Ice Skating Academy has at least 9 teams qualifying for Nationals this season, including McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Gropman & Somerville, the Beckers, the Greens (last year's novice national champions) and Tkachenko & Kiliakov (last year's juvenile national champions).

I'd say they have a reputation. Quite a phenomenal one.

What they possibly may not have is time. Though, I agree, this would be an outstanding year for them to break into coaching senior teams.

She meant 'reputation' as reputation on international senior level, in front of international judges. And she was not talking about Novak & Kiliakov, it was just general thoughts. And by the way, she LOVES Novak & Kiliakov. Absolutely loves them.

Before you start talking about moving teams to new coaches, just look at the results from this Maryland program. Go back through the last several US National Championships and count how many dance medals have been won by these "young" coaches in Maryland, and then total up all the gold medals won by all other coaches combined, at all levels. You will see just how dominant they have become at each level they've had skaters to coach in. First it was almost all-WISA at Juvenile, then up through Intermediate, then they added novice, and now Junior. Having to move to Detroit as seniors? Why? Kiliakov and Novak have as much success producing national champions as anyone. McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, have all won national titles (Rachel has won it 3 times) and both teams continue to take home gold medals in international competition, consistently, and are medaling every single time they go out. So why is anyone still questioning this program? A little competition is good for coaches as well as skaters. It makes US team much stronger for the future.

Calm down. No one moves anywhere. It was just a speculation on one of the forums. Don't you see that EVERYONE here agree that they should stay? :palmf:

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She meant 'reputation' as reputation on international senior level, in front of international judges.

Yes, I understand, and I'm sure she's correct about that often being the case; but I'm not certain I would make that assumption in this case with regard to these particular coaches. USFSA did acknowledge them with this award. I'm not certain the Federation would push their athletes anywhere. Again, because Novak & Kiliakov are developing a pretty phenomenal national and international reputation among the juvenile, intermediate, and junior ranks. (Their top two junior teams are currently ahead of all of Igor's junior teams, after all).

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Yes, I understand, and I'm sure she's correct about that often being the case; but I'm not certain I would make that assumption in this case with regard to these particular coaches. USFSA did acknowledge them with this award. I'm not certain the Federation would push their athletes anywhere. Again, because Novak & Kiliakov are developing a pretty phenomenal national and international reputation among the juvenile, intermediate, and junior ranks. (Their top two junior teams are currently ahead of all of Igor's junior teams, after all).

Yeah, that's true. And pretty impressive. Carreira/Ponomarenko are coming, though ;) Does Marina work with juniors? I don't remember anyone :scratch2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Does Marina work with juniors? I don't remember anyone :scratch2:

Yes, Marina has worked with juniors in the past. Examples:

The Shibutanis were juniors when they joined Team Canton. 99% sure the same is true for Tessa/Scott.

Chock/Zuerlein went as far back as novices with Marina/Igor:

Lichtman/Copely:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yes, Marina has worked with juniors in the past. Examples:

The Shibutanis were juniors when they joined Team Canton. 99% sure the same is true for Tessa/Scott.

Chock/Zuerlein went as far back as novices with Marina/Igor:

Lichtman/Copely:

OK, but I assumed Snow meant now that Marina is coaching independently from Igor, who obviously recruits juniors. Does she work with any juniors now?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OK, but I assumed Snow meant now that Marina is coaching independently from Igor, who obviously recruits juniors. Does she work with any juniors now?

I did enjoy getting that old school Shibsibs clip though. :)

That said, IIRC, some thought one of the points of contention was that Igor wanted to take on junior teams...And as far as I know she doesn't coach any junior teams, at least in the U.S.