State of U.S. Dance 2015-2016 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Dance 2015-2016

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OK, but I assumed Snow meant now that Marina is coaching independently from Igor, who obviously recruits juniors. Does she work with any juniors now?

Marina's website lists some young 'uns at present.

I don't remember their names ... but IIRC, they look young enough to (possibly) be below junior.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I did enjoy getting that old school Shibsibs clip though. :)

That said, IIRC, some thought one of the points of contention was that Igor wanted to take on junior teams...And as far as I know she doesn't coach any junior teams, at least in the U.S.

So, Marina doesn't like to work with juniors? I wonder what's the reason :scratch2:

OK, but I assumed Snow meant now that Marina is coaching independently from Igor, who obviously recruits juniors. Does she work with any juniors now?

Yeah, I meant currently.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. I go off last night to talk to one of my dude friends on Facebook, chill out on YouTube, and go to sleep to get enough rest for my physics final and I see an interesting discussion here. Sometimes the best things happen when I'm asleep.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I did enjoy getting that old school Shibsibs clip though. :)

That said, IIRC, some thought one of the points of contention was that Igor wanted to take on junior teams...And as far as I know she doesn't coach any junior teams, at least in the U.S.

Was the point of contention that he wanted to take on junior teams independently of her?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was the point of contention that he wanted to take on junior teams independently of her?

IIRC, I believe that was it. But I think part of the reasoning for that is because she wasn't interested in taking on junior teams in general.

Giselle

Medalist
This discussion reminded of Yasa Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko who coached Hubbell/Hubbell, Samuelson/Bates and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.
The first two had a lot of success as juniors and did stay with Nechaeva/Chesnichenko for the beginning of their senior career but then switched to Krylova/Camerlengo and Zoueva/Shpilband.
I don't think I've ever heard of them coaching any top US team again? (which is a shame because both H/H and S/B had a special quality about them).

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
This discussion reminded of Yasa Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko who coached Hubbell/Hubbell, Samuelson/Bates and Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.
The first two had a lot of success as juniors and did stay with Nechaeva/Chesnichenko for the beginning of their senior career but then switched to Krylova/Camerlengo and Zoueva/Shpilband.
I don't think I've ever heard of them coaching any top US team again? (which is a shame because both H/H and S/B had a special quality about them).

Actually, everything you saw from Samuelson and Bates was from when they were working with Yasa and Yuri. They didn't move away to Igor and Marina until the spring of 2010. We never got to see any of their work with Igor/ Marina due to their very unfortunate injury. I still lament never getting to see what might have become of Emily and Evan. :( I loved that team.

Yasa and Yuri instill beautiful technique in their skaters. Look at the beautiful line and toepoint they instilled in Evan and Emily!

I do wish some other teams would consider going to them. They do have some junior teams right now, from what I saw at the rink in Ann Arbor this past summer.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you guys think that Charlie and Tanith will go into Coaching? I don't know if it's because they're married but, I really like what John Zimmerman and Sylvia Fontana have done with Denney and Frazier and I think they might be great.

musicfan80

Medalist
Do you guys think that Charlie and Tanith will go into Coaching? I don't know if it's because they're married but, I really like what John Zimmerman and Sylvia Fontana have done with Denney and Frazier and I think they might be great.

Not sure about Charlie - isn't he still in school or did he finish? He may want to do shows for awhile. Tanith seems to be enjoying her commentary job - I really like the work that she is doing for Team USA's "Road to Rio" - Here is a link to the videos.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do you guys think that Charlie and Tanith will go into Coaching? ...

Charlie and Tanith both already have been involved in coaching/choreography, although whether it will be a full-time and/or long-term career for either is a separate question.

I believe Charlie has said for years that he eventually intends to go to law school?
(I could be wrong, but I don't think he has completed his undergrad studies yet. For perfectly understandable reasons.)

As musicfan said, Tanith already has established a career as a TV/video host/reporter (often unrelated to skating), and I learned from GS that she has been working on a journalism degree.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Have I been living on the MOON!!! When did this series begin?

It looks like from the YouTube playlist that Tanith's first video was posted in July.

She should seriously try archery again. It can be addictive and therapeutic - at least for me! :biggrin:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

I think they may be the most underrated dance coaches in the country. It seems unfathomable that after sweeping the junior podium at the 2007 U.S. Nationals, they have never had another top team. Not just because of the dominance they had that season, but because of the quality & and what they achieved with all three of those teams. All three had different, unique styles. Samuelson & Bates were fast, quick skaters with outward emotion. (Evan has never expressed half as much personality under Igor). The Hubbells were smooth and powerful with creative, unique skills. Lynn and Logan did not have the same level of ability as the other two teams, but Nechaeva & Chesnichenko ultimately gave them their own mature look on the ice with difficult, low lifts. K&G-S managed to stand out from the crowd without being world team members. (A unique style that was utterly lost the final season when they switched to Igor). I wonder if the changes in the scoring system/Code of Points may have hurt these coaches? They could train compulsories. At the 2010 Nationals, the two teams that filled the most ice during the compulsory dance were Belbin & Agosto, under Linichuk, and Samuelson & Bates, under Nechaeva & Chesnichenko. Both teams skated to the very edge, their skates essentially going over the boards during the performance.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Rewatching Sameulson/Bates 2008 FD and 2010 FD makes me really sad because their level of skill and talent was insane.

Giselle

Medalist
I do wish some other teams would consider going to them. They do have some junior teams right now, from what I saw at the rink in Ann Arbor this past summer.

Do you know the names of the Ice Dancers they coach? I don't follow junior Ice Dance as much now so I have no idea.

Their students did have beautiful lines (the Hubbells 06-07 FD remains one of my favourite FDs ever) but the same weakness IMO which is lack of speed. Unfortunatly speed seems to be the most important factor for the judges at the senior level and make them ignore bad posture and shallow edges.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Do you know the names of the Ice Dancers they coach? I don't follow junior Ice Dance as much now so I have no idea.

Their students did have beautiful lines (the Hubbells 06-07 FD remains one of my favourite FDs ever) but the same weakness IMO which is lack of speed. Unfortunatly speed seems to be the most important factor for the judges at the senior level and make them ignore bad posture and shallow edges.

They have Eleanor Babaev and Scott Wenner. They're newly junior and didn't make Nationals this year, but they seemed to be coming together nicely over the summer. Ann Arbor used to be a rink I skated at frequently, but I moved to AZ this past summer so don't have updates. Yasa and Yuri also had Maeve Pascoe and Micah Jaffee. They were a strong junior team, but they both retired this summer to go to college.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Igor and Marina posed together with Tanith and Ben -- on the occasion of B/A's Hall of Fame induction at 2016 Nats, I would assume. (Charlie and Meryl also in the group photo.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBXdqVvvPai/ (posted on Feb 4 by Charlie's mother)​

Have no idea whether this pic already was posted elsewhere on GS, but seemed worth sharing, and I didn't know where else to put it.

Sloopy

On the Ice
Rewatching Sameulson/Bates 2008 FD and 2010 FD makes me really sad because their level of skill and talent was insane.

I really loved the pairing of Samuelson and Bates and was crushed when he dumped her for Chock. Their lines and extension were so gorgeous and beautiful. I think this is why I have a hard time getting into the current pairing of Chock and Bates. Emily was the better match for Evan's height and long limbs and she was naturally sexy without trying to be sexy. To me, Evan now looks like he's not quite fully extended so that he can match his much shorter partner's limbs. Sigh...what could have been! :sad4:

Last edited: