Patrick Chan | Page 204 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
So when you win the powerball, you'll celebrate not with champagne, but with Patrick Chan Ice Wine!!! ;)

Yep! I would fly over the border to get some from the LCBO, and then I would give a bottle to my sis-in-law, who is from Vancouver. :) Alas, my office pool only won $4.

anybody else has great chan puns :) or chan buns ;) :dev2:

Now I'm gonna have to compile a dictionary of Chan terms... like:

Chandom: Patrick Chan's fandom / kingdom.

i will take chan'pagne over ice wine... so with 1.5 billions, let's buy patrick a vineyard in Champagne so he can bubble us up !

Oui, that would be a perfect way to put Patrick's French language skills to use! :laugh:

For the lovers of wordplay, - on the other forum, there is a little group of us known as Chiddy-Biddies. (a biddy being a garrulous old woman).

How about the Chiddy Lassies? Nobody's old here! ;) Even better, the "Chiddy Pretties". :agree:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yes, I've been looking on the various sites for some word from Patrick...and the silence is beginning to roar.

Luckily, someone else on Twitter has already asked that question of a Canadian figure skating blogger, and he's going to try to find out.

See link to conversation here.

luckiest1

Rinkside
Yes, I've been looking on the various sites for some word from Patrick...and the silence is beginning to roar. I hope Luckiest1 and I won't be crying in our rum and cokes in Halifax. And I suspect we won't know for sure till the last minute.
Argh I am almost dreading logging in for fear of what I might find. This is giving me flashbacks of 2001 Canadians in Winnipeg when Elvis Stojko withdrew last minute with a knee injury. Yes I had tickets. Ha ha does that automatically make me a biddy? :eeking: *tries to think positive*

Coriana

On the Ice
Argh I am almost dreading logging in for fear of what I might find. This is giving me flashbacks of 2001 Canadians in Winnipeg when Elvis Stojko withdrew last minute with a knee injury. Yes I had tickets. Ha ha does that automatically make me a biddy? :eeking: *tries to think positive*

I know you are a tad too young to be a true biddy, but I consider you a long time associate member... and you were at our meeting in North Toronto.

Too bad none of the other younger Chiddy options have assonance. The Chan options are easier.

This has been a truly hard year for our lad. I will try to hold on to a slim hope that he will be able to turn that around at Nationals.

calica

Final Flight
From International Figure Skating:

Patrick Chan spoke to the media this morning via teleconference call.
He said that for the first time in a long time he is raising the technical content in his free program. He has added a second triple Axel to the second half of the routine.
He said he learned a lot from the Grand Prix Final experience, which made him re-evaluate his technical content. He wants to be at the same level as Hanyu and Fernández but is being realistic about where he is at right now.
When asked about the current crop of stars he said: "I have had frustration and motivation — both ends of the spectrum. Frustrating because I now have to push myself beyond what my body is able to do at the moment. Instead of panicking and throwing all these jumps into the program I am just being calm. It is easy to panic by looking at the results.
Not winning a medal at the FInal — "I had a bad short program because I did not know the rules but came back with a strong free."
Chan said he is feeling pressure heading into nationals "especially with Nam having come in quickly. He is very much a contender."
On not being able to skate at the Detroit send-off last week: "In the warm-up I went into my quad and then did a step out and I hyperextended my knee. My patella tendon was already irritated. I had physio look at it — I am sure I will be 100% when I get to nationals."

https://www.facebook.com/figureskatingmag/photos/a.10150910768452538.526601.278550292537/10154457492472538/?type=3&theater

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
He said that for the first time in a long time he is raising the technical content in his free program. He has added a second triple Axel to the second half of the routine.

On not being able to skate at the Detroit send-off last week: "In the warm-up I went into my quad and then did a step out and I hyperextended my knee. My patella tendon was already irritated. I had physio look at it — I am sure I will be 100% when I get to nationals."

https://www.facebook.com/figureskatingmag/photos/a.10150910768452538.526601.278550292537/10154457492472538/?type=3&theater

Thank you for posting, Calica! Nice to know that Patrick expects to be back at 100% soon. Lol, sometimes he sounds so technical in these interviews that you wonder if he shouldn't go into sports medicine!

So it looks like he will take Kathy's advice and add another 3A after all. Which jump in his FS will be replaced by the 3A?

He said he learned a lot from the GPF - I hope he learned the right things. May I be wrong, but I suspect that his initial goals for becoming a more versatile skater and bringing balance to the sport of figure skating will be put on the back burner for now in his quest to "be at the same level as Hanyu and Fernández".

But when Patrick does his best, his is in a class by himself. Just look at how happy he made these kids when he skated for them.

Last edited:

luckiest1

Rinkside
From International Figure Skating:

Patrick Chan spoke to the media this morning via teleconference call.
He said he learned a lot from the Grand Prix Final experience, which made him re-evaluate his technical content. He wants to be at the same level as Hanyu and Fernández but is being realistic about where he is at right now.
When asked about the current crop of stars he said: "I have had frustration and motivation — both ends of the spectrum. Frustrating because I now have to push myself beyond what my body is able to do at the moment. Instead of panicking and throwing all these jumps into the program I am just being calm. It is easy to panic by looking at the results.
Not winning a medal at the FInal — "I had a bad short program because I did not know the rules but came back with a strong free."
Chan said he is feeling pressure heading into nationals "especially with Nam having come in quickly. He is very much a contender."

Thank you for posting, Calica! Nice to know that Patrick expects to be back at 100% soon. Lol, sometimes he sounds so technical in these interviews that you wonder if he shouldn't go into sports medicine!

So it looks like he will take Kathy's advice and add another 3A after all. Which jump in his FS will be replaced by the 3A?

He said he learned a lot from the GPF - I hope he learned the right things. May I be wrong, but I suspect that his initial goals for becoming a more versatile skater and bringing balance to the sport of figure skating will be put on the back burner for now in his quest to "be at the same level as Hanyu and Fernández".

But when Patrick does his best, his is in a class by himself. Just look at how happy he made these kids when he skated for them.

:clap::yahoo::hap57:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you calica for the news on Patrick's state of health. Very happy he'll be fully recovered by the Nationals.

I think it's more of an agreement on his current level of confidence on his 3A, the former "nemesis". :thumbsup:

Assuming, and I'm sure, the 3T in his FS is meant to be a 4T, the lowest BV jump in his GPF LP was the 3Lo. He needs to do the additional 3A in a combo. He did 2 3Lz combos, one of them with a 2T necessitated by the 3T earlier. If he does not make too many adjustments to the program, then he could replace the 3Lz2T with 3A3T. We have to wait to see what the new arrangement will be. Maybe the 1/2Lo combo will be back instead of the 2t2Lo. The Nationals is a good place to test it out before Worlds.

I like what he said. He sees what he needs to do and is working on it without panicking or in haste. What he needs to do is to be on the same technical level with Hanyu and Fernandez, (not Jin, :)) but that is not in conflict with being the skater he wants to be. His skating skills and artistry are part of him now and will always be evident in his performances, especially in a brilliant and perfectly suited choreography.

From
Just look at how happy he made these kids when he skated for them.

Jason-“My favourite part was when he was dancing on the ice."

Mine too, Jason. :agree:

liv

Record Breaker
I hope he is well and ready to go for Nationals. You always want the competitors in top shape.

As for a second 3A, well, go for it Patrick. I hope he can do it in competition because, as great a skater as he is, he really does need to up his technical content in order to really compete with a clean Yuzu and Javi. This is what tops skaters (any athletes) do: motivate each other to improve. That is what those guys are now doing for Patrick... just as he himself motivated them, and others, to improve their skating skills/movement on the ice etc.. Watching, learning and improving never stops, even at the top. It's great to see.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The latest bit of news about that second 3A:

Patrick's 3A will be in combination with his double toe.

That's the first combo in the second half of his program, around 2 minutes and 35 seconds into his FS.

Other Sources:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports...adian-figure-skating-championships-in-halifax
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/upping...737684#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=mNpYI7C
http://www.timescolonist.com/canada...program-adding-a-second-triple-axel-1.2151363
http://www.rds.ca/amateurs/patinage...ramme-libre-1.2820523?localLinksEnabled=false
http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2016/01/names-names-names-skate-guard-2016.html

(on going into Nationals and adding changing his free skate to add a second triple axel): "[I'm] excited. I finally feel for the first time this season that I'm calm, not feeling like I'm trying to catch up, not rested. I had a great break during the new year and was able to recuperate after [the Grand Prix] Final and reassess some little things that we needed to change in the program - more technically than artistically - for Nationals and moving towards the World Championships. So, it's good! Nationals is always a blast and sure, I'm going for my eighth title but I think there's a lot more at hand that I'm trying to achieve at Nationals in terms of adding technical elements and trying it for the first time and seeing how it works... and also, like I said at the beginning of the season just getting my legs under me this year and get myself ready for the next two years to make them a lot smoother than this year."

Nice to see you back, Violet Bliss!

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
In keeping with what you said, VB, I like what Patrick said in this article:

About coming back from sixth place in the GPF:

“I never thought I could do it, I never thought I could put myself in that situation and still succeed.

About not panicking:

“I really need to be intelligent and really understand what kind of situation I’m in and how different it is,” he said.

Chan said he’ll do some number-crunching after the world championships in Boston in March, to help determine what he needs to stay in the competitive mix with Hanyu.

“From what the numbers show, adding the second triple Axel, it closes that gap quite a bit,” Chan said.

About his long program and strategy:

He has yet to land a second quad jump in his long program this season, he pointed out, so he hasn’t maxed out the program’s points. He’ll eventually add a quad Salchow to his arsenal, but doesn’t feel the need to rush it.

“I have to play it smart and strategically, which I may not have done going into Sochi,” Chan said. “I really want to play it smart and hold my cards close to my chest.”

This will be new for Patrick - playing his cards close to his chest. I can't wait to see what happens!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am glad Patrick is fine now, I was so worried about his knee at the rumor after the ice show. Go Patrick!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
4t-3t - 14.60
3a - 8.50
4t - 10.30
StSq4 - 3.90
CCSp4 - 3.20
3a-2t - 10.78 x
3Lz-2t-2L - 10.01x
3Lo - 5.61x
3S - 4.84x
FSSp4 - 3.00
3F - 5.83x
ChSq1 - 2.00
CCoSp3p - 3.50

Total Planned BV = 86.07
Total GOE at GPF = 19.44 But GOE for 4T is worth more than 3T so we may make it 2 pts instead of 1.4 -> total GOE = 20.04

Total TES = 86.07 + 20.04 = 106.11

So if Patrick skates his new LP as well as he did at GPF, he will score over 100 TES and very likely over 200 TSS.

HE CAN DO IT. GO PATRICK!

eta that I made the mistake in the earlier post of naming the 3Lo the jump with the lowest BV in Patrick's LP while it was 3S, worth just 4.84 with bonus.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think they should create StSq5 for Patrick only :) and score it as big as a quad ;)
4t-3t - 14.60
3a - 8.50
4t - 10.30
StSq4 - 3.90
CCSp4 - 3.20
3a-2t - 10.78 x
3Lz-2t-2L - 10.01x
3Lo - 5.61x
3S - 4.84x
FSSp4 - 3.00
3F - 5.83x
ChSq1 - 2.00
CCoSp3p - 3.50

Total Planned BV = 86.07
Total GOE at GPF = 19.44 But GOE for 4T is worth more than 3T so we may make it 2 pts instead of 1.4 -> total GOE = 20.04

Total TES = 86.07 + 20.04 = 106.11

So if Patrick skates his new LP as well as he did at GPF, he will score over 100 TES and very likely over 210 TSS.

HE CAN DO IT. GO PATRICK!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nice to see you back, Violet Bliss!

Thanks for the welcome back. Also to those who PMed me with concern. I was giving everybody here a break from my babbling and crowing while I pondered a few points raised here. It was evidently a good idea since there have been many brilliant posts, and now good news with the Nationals drawing near.

I'm of two minds about Operation Encourage Patrick. While it would be great to show our support, I have concerns about adding to his sense of responsibility and obligation which has often been the great distractor and stress at times of high stakes or raising technical level. For a pretty long time now, I've thought of sending Patrick a bouquet of Belief balloons. So, how about a Believe campaign? Just send him messages of "Believe!" should be motivating and encouraging without relating to fans' expectations. Don't even say "I/we believe in you" because what's most important is his belief and confidence in himself, regardless of anybody else's opinions. I hope he will really really skate for himself.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i think they should create StSq5 for Patrick only :) and score it as big as a quad ;)

They did the opposite, reducing the second StSq, now called ChSq, to Level 1 worth just 2 points for everybody. :sad46: Also, they took out the second StSq out of the SP entirely.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I'm of two minds about Operation Encourage Patrick. While it would be great to show our support, I have concerns about adding to his sense of responsibility and obligation which has often been the great distractor and stress at times of high stakes or raising technical level. For a pretty long time now, I've thought of sending Patrick a bouquet of Belief balloons. So, how about a Believe campaign? Just send him messages of "Believe!" should be motivating and encouraging without relating to fans' expectations. Don't even say "I/we believe in you" because what's most important is his belief and confidence in himself, regardless of anybody else's opinions. I hope he will really really skate for himself.

Agree! The purpose of the encouragement campaign is to let him know that he has supporters who stand by him regardless of the outcome of the competition(s). That's why I retweeted this fan and made sure to let him know that whatever happens is fine. I do want him to skate for the love of it while being emotionally free from others' expectations.

Please do send him a bouquet of Belief balloons and post a picture! I'd love to see it! Wait - how do we do that? Can we chip in and send him a bouquet on behalf of our group?